RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

The public have been getting into lifts that don't have a driver to stop it at the right floor and open the doors. Most shops got rid of their "drivers" in the 1960s. A train is just a lift that goes horizontally.

Actually, by pressing the button to select the floor the lift user feels there is a "driver" in control - them. Having said that, at the BBC's Salford offices they have a lift system where you select the floor you want outside the lifts, are assigned a lift and then when that lift arrives it takes you to the floor you want with no further input. Supposed to be quicker but seems to take much longer, and with the added frustration that you can't change your mind once you get going.... Apologies if this is OT....

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The public have been getting into lifts that don't have a driver to stop it at the right floor and open the doors. Most shops got rid of their "drivers" in the 1960s.

A train is just a lift that goes horizontally.

Copenhagens metro uses driverless trains, there are as far as I know no onboard controls at all. I love sitting looking out of the front window as the train rushes down the tubes that bend quite a lot in all dimensions.

Alright I know that technically they only bend in two (left/right and up/down) but you know what i mean.

That's a LOT of metal for what is a relatively small model Jason!

Of course those of us who don't know how these things are done don't have any standards to compare with. How does the number of E-Train moulds compare with a 'normal' train model?

It's about the same number of moulds as a complex Canadian locomotive.  Because it lacks all of the underbody piping, the mould quantity is manageable.  On some of our passenger cars with all of the underbody equipment, the mould count can reach as high as 19.

-Jason

Copenhagens metro uses driverless trains, there are as far as I know no onboard controls at all. I love sitting looking out of the front window as the train rushes down the tubes that bend quite a lot in all dimensions.

Alright I know that technically they only bend in two (left/right and up/down) but you know what i mean.

France's Paris metro 1 & 14 are also driver less.

My APT-E will be run on a layout with full computer control when it goes to expos. The only technical snag is that where the models locos start and stop is not a very precise art.

I found big locos will vary between 3-4 inchs from a first cold run to a final warmed up run, so you need to respot them after each run. I guess sensors would help but you need to place them to take into account stopping distances. A DCC chip follows a pre set de-acceleration curve (for realisme).

• RMweb Premium

Supposing the APT-P sets had been allowed to succeed in revenue-earning service, might the APT-E have been retained as a test bed for further engineering development, perhaps extended - or still withdrawn as 'spent'? I've ordered up a 6-car set, and I'm wondering if such a prototype is a bit fanciful.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

My APT-E will be run on a layout with full computer control when it goes to expos. The only technical snag is that where the models locos start and stop is not a very precise art.

I found big locos will vary between 3-4 inchs from a first cold run to a final warmed up run, so you need to respot them after each run. I guess sensors would help but you need to place them to take into account stopping distances. A DCC chip follows a pre set de-acceleration curve (for realisme).

There are indoor GPS systemes, the IT company I work at had an internal research project  that was used to draw control panels by running a train arround a layout. Unfortunately it finished just before I started working there :-(  Try this site for example.  http://en.shop.gamesontrack.dk/indoor-gps-of-model-trains-h0-v1.aspx

Edited by Vistiaen
  • Like 1

Er, I don't think so! Especially not at THAT price! :O

Supposing the APT-P sets had been allowed to succeed in revenue-earning service, might the APT-E have been retained as a test bed for further engineering development, perhaps extended - or still withdrawn as 'spent'? I've ordered up a 6-car set, and I'm wondering if such a prototype is a bit fanciful.

- Richard.

As Rob said, E-Train had been delivered to the NRM by the time the first P-Train actually ran. The bogie designs were radically different and the whole geometry of the train had been changed, whether for the better or not is be a matter for discussion of course.

We ran Lab 8 'Pilot', the first P-Train Trailer Car, very soon after the E-Train's last 4-car run as part of the skinned POP-Train, and that used a full P-Train un-powered bogie set. Those three vehicles all had P-Train underfloor mountedMk 5 tilt packs, but PC3 & 4 still retained their E-Train Mk 2 packs, just in case things went wrong. :no:

Of course Lab 4 'Hastings' and the dreaded Trestrol both ran before we took E-Train to York, and both of those used P-Train type bogies, so there was little need for E-Train in the development role past 1976.

'Fanciful' works fine for me, a 6, 8, or even 12 car E-Train would look superb to my mind and could portray what may have been if the '73 fuel crisis hadn't happened and if turbines became more efficient and if servo-valves weren't so prone to contamination failures.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great to meet Jason today next to a cabinet containing an absolutely superb APT-E, even before all the surface detail has been added to the mould (the train not Jason!). I am very impressed and truly hope that the N Pendolino Kickstarter project hits its target and benefits from Rapido's commitment to excellence.