Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi Zomboid

My plan was to build a 15 inch line using 00 track and locos in approx 1/24th scale.  It didn't get much further. I don't have the space for another layout.

Perhaps, a 1/24th scale terminus station :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :sungum: :nono: :dontknow: :mosking:

Outdoors...

• RMweb Gold

Gn15 is a real thing, there's a fair few layouts in the scale on carendt.com. never seen an RHDR one though.

There is, or was one on the circuit. Saw it at the Weymouth show a few years back. Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium

Outdoors...

I have stated before I have been given the wrong type of legs, I was fitted with coward's legs despite being brave. If I were to suggest to Mrs M that the 'orses give up a bit of their land for a railway, those legs of mine would be in full retreat before she even said "NO!!!!"

I have stated before I have been given the wrong type of legs, I was fitted with coward's legs despite being brave. If I were to suggest to Mrs M that the 'orses give up a bit of their land for a railway, those legs of mine would be in full retreat before she even said "NO!!!!"

How dya manage in December mate ?

post-20303-0-84260400-1538911071_thumb.jpg

Ann Utter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is, or was one on the circuit. Saw it at the Weymouth show a few years back.

Hi John

It is a very nice layout. I came across it after I had started my experiment and the chap who's layout it is (sorry I cannot recall his name) had arrived at almost the same logic to use 1/76 locos as 1/3rd scale minature locomotives on a 1/24th scale model. the maths don't quite work out right but it does mean a Tri-ang Hornby "Flying Scotsman" can be used as a basis of a RHDR pacific. After all it was Henry Greenly who built the RHDR as 1/3rd locos running on 1/4 track and invented 00 which is 1/76 locos running on 1/87 track.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

It is a very nice layout. I came across it after I had started my experiment and the chap who's layout it is (sorry I cannot recall his name) had reached arrived at almost the same logic to use 1/76 locos as 1/3rd scale minature locomotives on a 1/24th scale model. the maths don't quite work out right but it does mean a Tri-ang Hornby "Flying Scotsman" can be used as a basis of a RHDR pacific. After all it was Henry Greenly who built the RHDR as 1/3rd locos running on 1/4 track and invented 00 which is 1/76 locos running on 1/87 track.

One of my "might-but-probably-never-will" projects is Hythe, RHDR. If it were to happen, it would probably be 7 mm scale on 9 mm gauge track.

• RMweb Premium

One of my "might-but-probably-never-will" projects is Hythe, RHDR. If it were to happen, it would probably be 7 mm scale on 9 mm gauge track.

Hi John

I did start down that route but secondhand N gauge locos at the time were more expensive than Tri-ang Hornby "Flying Scotsman" models plus I had a 00 layout to test things on.  I did build some Gn15 (I think that is the scale/gauge name) coaches, and a new tender, complete with driver for a N gauge Britannia.

• Like 1

Hi John

I did start down that route but secondhand N gauge locos at the time were more expensive than Tri-ang Hornby "Flying Scotsman" models plus I had a 00 layout to test things on.  I did build some Gn15 (I think that is the scale/gauge name) coaches, and a new tender, complete with driver for a N gauge Britannia.

There was a model of Hythe which appeared at exhibitions a few years ago. Used 16.5 mm track and had some lovely models of most of the Romney fleet, some of which are now on display in the museum there.

• RMweb Gold

We have all sorts of wonders if we venture to that well know suburb of Leningrad called Grimbsy. 

Don't.

It was in terminal decline some years ago when I left it.

I hear they've built a road on the railway line, so no chance of Kings Cross the proper way now.

Mike.

Back to the signalling.

This is the style of signal for the end of each platform, It isn't Manchester but Brighton but they were both resignalled using very similar equipment.

attachicon.gifSignal style.png

This is the signal plan

attachicon.gifsignals.png

You have a PLAN? :O WOW, I never bother with things like that because I have a wandering mind, and keep changing it.

Got any ''N'' Gauge for sale? :no:  :no:  :no:  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't.

It was in terminal decline some years ago when I left it.

I hear they've built a road on the railway line, so no chance of Kings Cross the proper way now.

Mike.

After our first visit my youngest said " They have put three too many letters in this town's name"...no idea what he means....Msby?????

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only thing wrong with this picture is that neither of these ladies was my girlfriend at the time...

attachicon.gif01895490e2216cd2eeb52bd4af84e916.jpg

I seem to be retreating into the 80s more and more lately, as I find the twenty teens becoming more and more unbearable

I don't know so much things can look brighter,

All you modern modellers have your DCC and noise sound to play with as well as the amazing thing of the trains going backwards as well as forwards if programmed correctly. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Which pannier did you have in mind?

57xx (common as muck)

or

94xx (big & brawny)

Or maybe a 2721 (elegant but rather long in the tooth)?

• RMweb Premium

Which pannier did you have in mind?

57xx (common as muck)

or

94xx (big & brawny)

Or maybe a 2721 (elegant but rather long in the tooth)?

Hi Colin

I think Captain K quite likes a nice cute 16xx. Or is it a 74xx? Like SR 4-6-0s they all look the same to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope you all watched Dr Who tonight. Apart from it being good and the new doctor excellent, did you noticed where the crane scene was filmed. That's right on the site of the former Sheffield Exchange station. Now tell me my layout is pure fantasy. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

tonight's tune

• Like 4

Back to the signalling.

This is the style of signal for the end of each platform, It isn't Manchester but Brighton but they were both resignalled using very similar equipment.

attachicon.gifSignal style.png

This is the signal plan

attachicon.gifsignals.png

If you wanted to go searchlight, Signalist appear to have started to do their searchlight heads again.

I've got masses of stuff to do before signals, but the are tempting!

C.

• RMweb Premium

If you wanted to go searchlight, Signalist appear to have started to do their searchlight heads again.

I've got masses of stuff to do before signals, but the are tempting!

C.

Hi Chris

I see they do a dwarf head, that is what I need for the shunt signals.