Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Last week I was in a grump on Monday because Monday night for 30 plus years meant Witham Model Railway Society night. This week I had an operating session, by myself but it was a good one. Our lineside photographer has stopped chatting up the lady in boots and has returned with some film. Sadly he informs me that his cinematographic camera has a broken handle and he cannot wind the film on any more. 

I decluttered the layout today.

post-16423-0-10235800-1539035576_thumb.jpg

The diesel sidings.

post-16423-0-60450100-1539035657_thumb.jpg

The steam stabling point.

post-16423-0-07248000-1539035761_thumb.jpg

All, the platforms are occupied, and with a DMU in each one.

post-16423-0-35831700-1539035879_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-23198600-1539036093_thumb.jpg

Doncaster carriage sidings

post-16423-0-36777300-1539036006_thumb.jpg

Manchester carriage sidings

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

post-16423-0-95100200-1539036302_thumb.jpg

The first train to leave was a local all stations to Doncaster.

post-16423-0-39248900-1539036404_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-15083600-1539036548_thumb.jpg

This is the last week of the through train to Blackpool, until next summer the service only goes as far as Preston.

post-16423-0-54391300-1539036672_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-22828900-1539036783_thumb.jpg

It hasn't travelled too far when it meets the Liverpool to Sheffield express service.

post-16423-0-50935700-1539036877_thumb.jpg

The Liverpool train snakes its way into platform 6.

post-16423-0-76451200-1539037013_thumb.jpg

The Bradford via Doncaster train leaves the station.

post-16423-0-32483400-1539037158_thumb.jpg

It is held at Doncaster Junction waiting another train to pass.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

post-16423-0-74296200-1539037533_thumb.jpg

The Bradford train is well on its way. At the station a parcels car arrives as a Barnsley commuter train departs.

post-16423-0-79494500-1539037659_thumb.jpg

The parcels car comes to a stop at platform 8, and a line of parcels road vehicles are waiting to exchange packages.

Platform 8 will be a bit wider so it can have a road way for the parcels vans. The parcels office will be on platform 8.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Whoops there is still more action. I didn't mean to post just the last two photos.

post-16423-0-07258500-1539037962_thumb.jpg

The Bradford and Barnsley train passing each other at Doncaster Junction.

post-16423-0-16447300-1539038061_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-59343600-1539038242_thumb.jpg

Soon afterwards at the Manchester Junction we see a local from Huddersfield which is still locomotive hauled all be it a Type 2 passing an empty stock train in the hands of a BR class 4 tank.

We go back to the station

post-16423-0-77843900-1539038354_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-33652500-1539038431_thumb.jpg

The Huddersfield train enters the station as a Wakefield train departs. The ECS train waits patiently for a path to be set. 

post-16423-0-18642500-1539038555_thumb.jpg

Our signalman soon gives the line clear to the driver of the ECS.

post-16423-0-72028300-1539038692_thumb.jpgA

Another local to Barnsley departs.

post-16423-0-47914300-1539038803_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-27774100-1539038890_thumb.jpg

The last action we see before going home for tea is a Standard Five backing down light engine form the main loco shed to haul the Manchester buffet service.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 12

Hands up those who spotted the 2P 4-4-0 being turned and coming off the turntable?

I did. And I spotted an N2 with condensing apparatus fitted.Dont know what that’s doing in Sheffield at the end of steam, or why,as a tank engine it needs to be lining up for the turntable, far less a Type 2 diesel lining up for th3 TT unless old habits die tard for the old steam drivers up there.

I am warming to green dmu’s though.

S.Wot.

• RMweb Premium

I did. And I spotted an N2 with condensing apparatus fitted.Dont know what that’s doing in Sheffield at the end of steam, or why,as a tank engine it needs to be lining up for the turntable, far less a Type 2 diesel lining up for th3 TT unless old habits die tard for the old steam drivers up there.

I am warming to green dmu’s though.

S.Wot.

Mr Jazzer

Let us deal with the N2 first, when the diesels took over the suburban services at Kings Cross some N2s were transferred north and retained their condensing gear. I just need to renumber it to one that ended up at Doncaster.

Because of the hills around Sheffield many of the tank locos are turned so the water stays over the firebox as the climb out the city. They have to visit the steam sidings to refill with water, top the coal and rake the ashpan the same as the ones puling the coal truck.

At times when there is no room at the diesel sidings locos that are on ECS or local duties that do not need refueling will be stabled between duties on the steam sidings, this will soon be a thing of the past as loco hauled services are withdrawn. To be honest it is a recent purchase and I need to find a box with space. Plonking it in the steam sidings seemed a good idea yesterday.

Lastly, DMUs could be quite warm when the heater was operative so I am glad you are sat in one that has a working heater.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I really enjoyed operating last night, a couple of derailments that need to be looked at, a few poor starters so maybe a wheel or two needs cleaning. No crashes.

When I was taking the photos in the station I had at least one train whizzing around the outside. All the moves photographed were moves not stock plonked on the track to look like it was full of action. The more I play trains the more I can see operational improvements, potential and fun. 

I really like the visual appearance of the triangle, I am now debating if I will build a bridge across it as a scenic break?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

I really enjoyed operating last night, a couple of derailments that need to be looked at, a few poor starters so maybe a wheel or two needs cleaning. No crashes.

When I was taking the photos in the station I had at least one train whizzing around the outside. All the moves photographed were moves not stock plonked on the track to look like it was full of action. The more I play trains the more I can see operational improvements, potential and fun. 

I really like the visual appearance of the triangle, I am now debating if I will build a bridge across it as a scenic break?

And if you do then don't forget the obligatory Charabanc going over it !

post-20303-0-88210900-1539084954_thumb.jpg

Inspector Blake ( I'll get you Butler !)

• RMweb Premium

And if you do then don't forget the obligatory Charabanc going over it !

attachicon.gifcharabanc.jpg

Inspector Blake ( I'll get you Butler !)

That picture is so old Inspector blake would have been an apprentice..

Mr Jazzer

Let us deal with the N2 first, when the diesels took over the suburban services at Kings Cross some N2s were transferred north and retained their condensing gear. I just need to renumber it to one that ended up at Doncaster.

Because of the hills around Sheffield many of the tank locos are turned so the water stays over the firebox as the climb out the city. They have to visit the steam sidings to refill with water, top the coal and rake the ashpan the same as the ones puling the coal truck.

At times when there is no room at the diesel sidings locos that are on ECS or local duties that do not need refueling will be stabled between duties on the steam sidings, this will soon be a thing of the past as loco hauled services are withdrawn. To be honest it is a recent purchase and I need to find a box with space. Plonking it in the steam sidings seemed a good idea yesterday.

Lastly, DMUs could be quite warm when the heater was operative so I am glad you are sat in one that has a working heater.

Ah, that explains a lot. You have no idea how much time I spent in my short- trousered days looking for N2 ‘s on passenger services, especially with the condenser working, not realising that by that date the whole suburban system had been handed over to Type 2 diesels and those dreadful rattling Cravens things which everyone complained about because there weren’t enough seats, compared to an N2 with two Gresley quad-arts in tow. The only N2’s I ever saw were on the Kings Cross ECS workings, apart from one at Grantham. If only I had known at the time that they had been sent to Sheffield Exchange!

Am I right in thinking that the Standard Class 4 tank has just been transferred from Plaistow after the LT&S electrification was completed? I once rode home from Southend behind one of those, must have been doing 80 through West Horndon. Glad to see one at Sheffield Exchange.

I love the track layout going into Exchange. The DMU crossing two or three tracks reminds me of the way Paddington used to be before they smoothed it out a few years ago. The DMUs used to almost throw people off their seats going from the Met side to the main surburban lines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't.

It was in terminal decline some years ago when I left it.

I hear they've built a road on the railway line, so no chance of Kings Cross the proper way now.

Mike.

Hi

In Louth they have built several houses on the old railway line so even less chance. The good thing about the new road in Grimsby is you can leave quicker (just watch out for the average speed cameras).

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Just stick a couple of small signal boxes in the corners and a field of rough grass. That way you can watch all the trains passing by.

Hi Stu

Thoughts like this have crossed my mind a few times. I will just see where my imagination takes me.

• Like 3

Hi

In Louth they have built several houses on the old railway line so even less chance. The good thing about the new road in Grimsby is you can leave quicker (just watch out for the average speed cameras).

Cheers

Paul

Hi, Paul

Thank you for the tip about the cameras. I avoid that road like the plague due to its dreadful design, and wasn't aware of them. It's a shame it and the new A16 further south were ever built, as there would surely have been a good case for re-opening the line these days

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Paul

Thank you for the tip about the cameras. I avoid that road like the plague due to its dreadful design, and wasn't aware of them. It's a shame it and the new A16 further south were ever built, as there would surely have been a good case for re-opening the line these days

Regards

Steve

I just avoid Grimsby.