Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Another low alcohol beer I recently acquired is brewdog's Nanny State, which I saw on offer.  Now Brewdog can do very litle wrong as far as I'm concerned, so I assumed that their low (0.05%) alcohol beer would be at least a match for the really quite good German ones I've tried during the current spell of hot weather.  According to the bottle label, the beer is brewed using five varieties of hops and eight different malts, so I fully expected that their claim to provide a low alcohol beer with plenty of taste would be justified.

On pouring, I was a bit surprised that Nanny State was a fairly deep amber colour. There was a pleasingly rich and promising fruity aroma, but unfortunately, when I tasted it I was hit by a wall of bitterness that was slightly offset by a really not very attractive perfume. I can only think that attempting to buck the trend by using five different varieties of hop just hadn't worked and, perhaps not unusually for Brewdog, they'd just overdone it and the result was completely unbalanced - certainly plenty of flavour, but pretty vile flavour.  Don't know what happened to all these speciality malts.  Now judging by all the reviews I've seen of this beer I may be in the minority (not for the first time!) but I found this, well, pretty awful and had it been more than 33cl I wouldn't have finished it.

post-6160-0-69668000-1530796552.png

Edited by Torper
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How bloody ridiculous, what in the hell is going on in society..............yes minister strikes again, cut every resource but don't cut my benefits. Why aren't these felons in custody????? There was talk here in Oz about setting up independent groups to combat this crap but although the police do not have the resource to deal with these situations and I understand the reasoning behind this........ it can't happen. Something should surely occur whereby Mr and Mrs Citizen have the right to fix these bustards

.........rant over but feel very strongly about this..............anyway my 303 is in the gun safe if they ever decide to pay us a visit!!

MIke

Edited by ikks
  • Like 2

At the start of yesterdays "Cultural Tour" I was faced with a difficult decision !

post-13586-0-13502400-1530805070_thumb.jpg

I chose the Exmoor Fox at 4.2% and very nice it was too and as we were waiting for the bus it seemed a shame not to have another one !

That was in the "Kings Arms" in Wareham, also had a perfect pint of Palmers Gold in the "Horse & Groom" highly recommended.

• Like 4

Camden Brewery Pale Ale whilst watching the Belgium v Brazil game.

Nicely hopped and with a strong bitter aftertaste (the beer, not the game).

One to have again I feel.

steve

• Like 1

In the Lambton Worm, Chester-le-street avoiding the football but enjoying a Sonnet 43 Aurora pale ale, one could easily drink quite a bit of this...

attachicon.gif20180707_161212.jpg

A Durham brew!! Ps is it the Lambton Worm pub near Ouston next to the ECML? Seem to remember passing it a few times when we covered faults up towards Tyne Yard!

-Andy

• RMweb Gold

A Durham brew!! Ps is it the Lambton Worm pub near Ouston next to the ECML? Seem to remember passing it a few times when we covered faults up towards Tyne Yard!

-Andy

Yes, painted grey on the left on the A167 on the way to Birtley. 

Good beer, good food and good rooms. The rooms are not numbered but named after varieties of hop with a sample in a clear box on each door.

• RMweb Premium

I was drinking Stella Artois yesterday - and Belgium lost.

I can't find any Croatian beer locally but if England do get through should I be drinking Kronenbourg on Sunday?

The stuff you get here is brewed in Manchester by Heineken so it might be better to steer clear of it (and not only for that reason!)

DT

Friends brought me back a couple of bottles of beer from a trip to Germany. They are produced by a brewery in Hamburg. I find the mixture of German and English in the types of beer and in the brand names interesting:

post-1771-0-13987900-1531719125.jpg

Since (as you can see) I've not sampled them yet, I can't say anything about the taste. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it true that Cider in the past was considered a poor man's drink?

Cider used to be part of the agricultural labourers wages. At harvest time it could be as much as 8 pints per day per man. Farmers used to make their own cider and if it wasn't 'up to scratch' quite often the workforce would go elsewear.

• RMweb Gold

I've commented here before about foreign beers that are really brewed here (and taste quite different to what they are supposed to be).

Yesterday evening, I had a can of "Original Scottish Premium Beer" (so it says on the label). Brewed in Wolverhampton. Does Nicola Sturgeon know?

How bloody ridiculous, what in the hell is going on in society..............yes minister strikes again, cut every resource but don't cut my benefits. Why aren't these felons in custody????? There was talk here in Oz about setting up independent groups to combat this crap but although the police do not have the resource to deal with these situations and I understand the reasoning behind this........ it can't happen. Something should surely occur whereby Mr and Mrs Citizen have the right to fix these bustards

.........rant over but feel very strongly about this..............anyway my 303 is in the gun safe if they ever decide to pay us a visit!!

MIke

Happened in our town many years ago, thieving, breaking into our offices etc. etc. Police did nothing till the local youths stoned all the caravans and lorries one night, that moved them on next day with the police saying they couldn't (wouldn't more like) guarantee their safety. Never been back.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was hot this afternoon.  Very hot, in fact, and a bit humid, with a hint of the rain that was going to come.  I had to do some digging in the garden and when I finished in a somewhat exhausted state my dear wife placed before me a glass of golden, cold beer.  Frankly, it could have been anything and I would have enjoyed it (well, maybe not Tennents or Nanny State).  It was also, of course, a lager, and while I normally prefer a traditional ale, a decent lager is very welcome indeed on a day like this.  And this was a decent lager - very decent, indeed, and brewed, to my astonishment, by Adnams, one of my favourite breweries. Mind you, Adnams make such good beers that there is no reason why they shouldn't turn out a good lager, and I would heartily recommend theiir Jack Brand Dry Hopped Lager as an excellent drink for a hot summer's day.  Miine came in a can, and I shall buy some more later this week..

post-6160-0-52549300-1532380990.jpg

• Like 1