Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

The Chinese had a way of doing things in the past so I don't know if it's the same today.

I see no reason to see why it should have changed.

You are a company who wishes to locate in China.

They would give you a factory or if they didn't have one available they would build you one.

They even built entire towns just to get foreign companies to go there.

The idea was that you would provide employment for the many workers they have who otherwise would have nothing to do.

They do after all have about a fifth of the world's population.

The Chinese are a very adaptive nation.

​That's why most of the world's manufacturing is done there.

You want to make something then they have a factory which can do it for you.

Anyone fancy some diecast  :yes:

Is Oxford's China factory in Kowloon Hong Kong ?

Edited by amdaley

This all reminds me of a story going  round the F1 paddock in the nineties  about  certain a motorsport  wheeler dealer  ,successful but with a certain reputation, wanting to  get a Mercedes engine deal  for a non existent at the time F1 team .He cobbled up a fake  F 1 facility on a Milton Keynes  industrial estate unit   and a Mercedes minion  arrived when the paint was still  wet .Merc quickly sussed the situation and declined.Of course they were probably already suspicious  given reputations .

I think the Chinese are anything you want them to be as long as money is involved.A factory is a transient beast  and signs made in hours.The end product is all that matters .

Hey, no picking on the Chinese. I have organised the hanging of notices, provision of overalls and all the rest, to 'create' a manufacturing facility for a particular brand name here in jolly old England. Today a household appliance maker, next week a motor company. It's not necessarily just the end product that goes out of the factory that is 'manufactured'. I expect it is a lot cheaper now with digital photography and photoshop type facilities

• RMweb Gold

Is Oxford's China factory in Kowloon Hong Kong ?

See post 1209 - although the Oxford Diecast Chinese website quotes it as an 'office address' .  But there are definitely manufacturing premises in that block belonging to other companies so theirs might also be there and that address would appear not be the building seen in the photo repeated at post 1229 (which I think might be in Quangdong province).

See post 1209 - although the Oxford Diecast Chinese website quotes it as an 'office address' .  But there are definitely manufacturing premises in that block belonging to other companies so theirs might also be there and that address would appear not be the building seen in the photo repeated at post 1229 (which I think might be in Quangdong province).

Cheers for that.

In any case I don't think it matters where the models are made as long as they're what modellers want.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aha - that video at post 1232 above! Says the Oxford Rail man " we have a two year plan for locos, wagons and coaches ..... and yes, we hope to see some things that will work with the Adams Radial". "Some things" - what might they be? Hornby are producing LSWR coaches to match. Any thoughts on what "some things that wil work with the Adams Radial" might be?

John

Edited by it's-er

Mine arrived from Hattons this afternoon,

Had a quick play with it, here's the box, and the model straight from it.

post-6861-0-72808500-1448469895_thumb.jpeg

post-6861-0-88702400-1448469920_thumb.jpeg

post-6861-0-00180100-1448469942_thumb.jpeg

post-6861-0-12970700-1448469974_thumb.jpeg

And one showing the underside with OXFORD printed under the front running plate.

post-6861-0-91524200-1448470038_thumb.jpeg

I'm no expert on these locomotives but it is a very nice looking model indeed, nicely finished and a creditable first effort from Oxford. I didn't find the skirt beneath the boiler obvious at all.

A quick running test, straight from the box, showed a nice slow and smooth running model. Just the faintest occasional 'shudder' at very low speed which I have no doubt running in will cure. Both forwards and backwards I could slow it down so that it took 30 seconds to cover the 3' of my Taunton module.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A couple of comments

There's summat missing from the RH side of the smokebox

Bogie and trailing truck wheel tyres look a little thick.

I see it has two different coupling mounts, front is a fixed pocket and back is removable dovetail (a la Bachmann tanks)

Overall looks the part, as noted a good first effort from OR, now let's see how the Hornby one stacks up.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Items that I would like Oxfordrail to make to go with the Adams Radial are an LSWR brake van and some LSWR bogie coaches in chocolate and salmon pink livery. I would also like to see some wagons on the 2015 wish list like an SR banana van and an SR cattle van.

I am pleased to see some pictures of the model Adams Radial today and that the replies are back to discussing the topic.

• RMweb Gold

The LSWR brake is coming from Kernow Robin ;)

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/148/DJ-Models-LSWR-Road-Van

Looks a nice model and a decent price point and now a clear definition of what more you'll get from the Hornby one. Looks value for money in that respect.

Edited by PaulRhB

Took some photos of one today for a model shop, sadly some items were either glued incorrectly or not enough glue, mould line quite visible on the boiler, the metal block under the boiler not so noticeable but i expect will be very visible on the LSWR version, buffer seems to rather wonkey or was damaged in transit.
The other model we had seems ok,
https://flic.kr/s/aHskmt1TgT

23280098186_1691511be4_b.jpg
23306220865_16e0fd577d_b.jpg
23280165506_c413b6b079_b.jpg
22938396909_a091d0dd94_b.jpg

Thanks for the photos, sad about the few mis-alignments and damage, I hope the one in the mail to me is better.

Good point also about the LSWR versions likely to accentuate the under-boiler issue, I might pre-order the Hornby version in preference.

In other respects I like detailing and general look of the Oxford version, and the price. I am assuming it runs quietly. I will subdue the white lining and handrail and dart if I can.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Arthur and Bluebell for posting your pictures.  The handrails, smokebox dart and perhaps wheel rims would benefit from some paint to tone them down and visually thin them.  A minor task for anyone I'd have thought.  I think it looks good and seems to run well if the video on LB is anything to go by.

I'm at a loss to understand the motor and lack of under boiler gap but, as people have said, it's a few quid less than the competition.

A promising start.  I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the photos of the Oxford model and referring back to those in  post #1137

The OR radial has 9 spoke wheels on both bogie and rear axles. The prototype pic is 9 spoke on the bogie and 10 spoke on the rear axle. As does the Hornby Radial.

Were the wheels changed at some time? The rear wheel also looks to be a larger diameter on the prototype and Hornby model?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Just looking at the photos of the Oxford model and referring back to those in  post #1137

The OR radial has 9 spoke wheels on both bogie and rear axles. The prototype pic is 9 spoke on the bogie and 10 spoke on the rear axle. As does the Hornby Radial.

Were the wheels changed at some time? The rear wheel also looks to be a larger diameter on the prototype and Hornby model?

Cheers,

Mick

There were 2 different types of rear trailing axle fitted to the Adams Radial (Although which examples and when, I have no idea). Of the 3 long-lived examples, 30583 was the only one to have the smaller of the two types.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

I have a photo of 30583 which has nine spokes front and rear.  They look to be the same diameter too.

Edited by teaky

There's summat missing from the RH side of the smokebox

Looks like a Roscoe displacement lubricator on the photos where is attached to the model and looking back at the photo of the loco in its box it looks like its loose in the packaging to the right hand side of the box window. That lubricator is one that I have been tracing to trace a moulding or casting of for some time for my Golden Arrow 0395 and I have emailed Oxford to see whether it might be available as a spare part.