Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

Can anyone confirm which livery E4 Birch Grove is in ?

Similar to 579 in the main catalogue. LBSCR Marsh umber I think they call it.

Graham Muz posted a picture on his twitter page but I'm not sure about the protocol for linking to such.

Twitter.com/search should find it for you

RP

• Like 1

Similar to 579 in the main catalogue. LBSCR Marsh umber I think they call it.

Graham Muz posted a picture on his twitter page but I'm not sure about the protocol for linking to such.

Twitter.com/search should find it for you

RP

Very attractive, thankfully not in SR Wartime Black otherwise I would've just easily burnt £109.99.... :P

Photo of new Collectors Club Model "Birch Grove" bought at the Collectors Club Day yesterday. Bachmann CC were doing a brisk trade with this model and I don't think it will be around for long, so if you want one I would get an order in quick!

Also a big" thank you" to the Bachmann Team for another excellent day out.

post-4790-0-47220700-1441564420.jpg

Edited by Unknown Warrior
  • Like 1

Guest spet0114

Bu**er - it seems to be time to rejoin the club again, as that is a lovely model. However, I finally paid for a new car today, and that has put a crimp on finances for a while. I wonder if they will all be sold out in a fortnight or so?

Depends if your 'pre-grouping sells' theory is valid. :)

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm which livery E4 Birch Grove is in ?

It appears to be in 'preserved' livery, which is how most older enthusiasts will have seen it. The Brighton introduced umber in 1905, simultaneously abolishing names on all but the largest locos. So it never looked like this until the Bluebell owned it.

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me that finds Bachmann's marketing strategy very odd?

Bluebell Railway versions of locos are likely to have an ongoing popularity as active preserved lines are one of the main factors in attracting new people to the hobby.

Many newcomers (and established modellers for that matter) would like to have models of the locos they have seen/ridden behind but Bachmann undersold the last (592) and are producing this one in limited numbers for Collectors' Club members.

Admittedly, Birch Grove is not currently in this livery, but deliberately limiting quantities of (and thereby their return on) what might well have proved to be the most popular versions of these locos does seem strange.

Fill your boots, collectors and eBay speculators. I for one have already got the idea out of my system.

John

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me that finds Bachmann's marketing strategy very odd?

Bluebell Railway versions of locos are likely to have an ongoing popularity as active preserved lines are one of the main factors in attracting new people to the hobby.

Many newcomers (and established modellers for that matter) would like to have models of the locos they have seen/ridden behind but Bachmann undersold the last (592) and are producing this one in limited numbers for Collectors' Club members.

Admittedly, Birch Grove is not currently in this livery, but deliberately limiting quantities of (and thereby their return on) what might well have proved to be the most popular versions of these locos does seem strange.

Fill your boots, collectors and eBay speculators. I for one have already got the idea out of my system.

John

By selling the model direct rather than through the trade Bachmann are maximising their return  whilst at the same time providing an incentive for membership of the collectors club. 

• RMweb Gold

By selling the model direct rather than through the trade Bachmann are maximising their return  whilst at the same time providing an incentive for membership of the collectors club. 

But that doesn't come close to what they are forgoing by selling a few hundred of a model that could well have sold a few thousand.

I used to be a member of the collectors club but got fed up with the disincentive of paying for yet another PO wagon that I didn't want every year.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

But that doesn't come close to what they are forgoing by selling a few hundred of a model that could well have sold a few thousand.

I used to be a member of the collectors club but got fed up with the disincentive of paying for yet another PO wagon that I didn't want every year.

John

A few thousand of a preservation only livery ? I doubt it ! , will they shift the current one when people realise its pedigree?

At least Bachmann are making decent models compared to the Hornby Club offerings.

I also used to be a Club member , as to the PO Wagons if not wanted sell them on ebay. I got rid of my unwanted ones without any problems.

With free postage too (helps a bit) although one doesn't find that out until the payment process is underway.

RP

It's in a preservation only livery, which the loco no longer carries, so I think 500 odd is probably about right for the production run. Just ordered mine !

For those not members of the Bachmann Collectors Club, I thoroughly recommend joining. It is by far the best model railway manufacturers club I have come across and represents good value for money even if you don't want the limited editions.  

Being a Bluebell fan, I also rejoined the club today just for this model. This engine has now been modelled twice. Once as preserved here (but technically not correct as LBSCR livery, nor even as the engine was in LBSCR days) and once as the engine was in Southern days in the 1930s.

Edited by JSpencer

I like this choice as a Collectors' Club Model. It's a fine looking model and I'm sure it well sell out - but not with inordinate additional demand.

In retrospect it was quite predictable (though I didn't see anyone guess it - certainly not me).

The Collectors' Club have issued pre-grouping livery* versions of newish models currently in production in their main range before.

* By "pre-grouping livery" I don't mean that there is a requirement for the modelled condition of the locomotive to match a livery as it would have been in original revenue service. A good example is the recent (very lovely) 7F in S&DJR Prussian Blue - which is anything but prototypical.

Even though I will pass on this - much like I have with Hornby's Collectors' Club offerings in LSWR liveries I happily remain a member of the Collectors' Club.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

In retrospect it was quite predictable (though I didn't see anyone guess it - certainly not me).

I thought it was likely, but expected it to be next year due to the fact that the Southern liveried model also has the preservation appeal. If I hadn't recently started in employment I would actually be quite peeved - I wouldn't have purchased the Southern liveried version if I'd have known that this version was going to come out. As it stands though, I'm happy to have both.

Worth noting that Birch Grove ran in this livery on the main line, accompanied by either the Adams radial or Stepney back in the 60s. I will certainly be making a case for this model to run at Rusper with one of the southern rakes, though it may have to wait until the Adams is available as my Dapol Stepney can't cope with the mainline speeds.

To my eye, I have always felt that the 1960s livery was a little simplified, and that this model best suits the loco in 1998-2005 livery. The livery of the model also appears to be considerably darker, though I'm not at all fussed about that!

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Ahem - post 74 of this thread (sort of)....