N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

It happens people change their preferences.

I had the same with some old Ltd Ed 00 stuff which was ordered before I went N. Ended up selling them on, at the end of the day you've paid for them you can do what you want.

I'm sure that some people will be kicking themselves that they never ordered one and will be willing to pay to get one.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As far as we are concerned this model could not have taken place without everyone who's supported the idea stepping forward to make it happen.

Taking a step back, it is incredible to think what everyone has achieved together.

No one need have any doubt that once they received their model it is theirs to do with exactly as they wish: Run it, display it in a cabinet, put it in a cupboard for that future layout or sell it on.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

Hi Ben

It is a testament to both you and Mike that it has gotten to this stage along with the guys at Rapido. As you all have said it's ultimately my decision but I certainly didn't buy them to make loads of money. Without the do-ers then we wouldn't have any progress at all.

Sorry for taking this off-topic. Back to driving Bombardiers finest(?!) for me lol

• Like 2

I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. Since I ordered and paid for my pair of 9 cars, my modelling has had to become more focused in the 1985-91 period so I now have two sets coming that don't remotely fit in to the era or area (WHL/HML). The last thing I want is to appear as a profiteer by flogging them on eBay or similar. I can't justify £600 worth of train sitting in a box either! It's a shame because having seen the first one at Model Rail Scotland, it's a stunning model. At least I don't have to decide straight away!!

Well you are in luck, acording to the last trainspotting live program a Class 390 was seen at Wick so one at Inveress is a given :nono: Just assume that the Clansmen continued past the early 1990's and, like the North Wales line, used 390s draged by 57/3s.

Finally got chance to see the prototype at the NGS AGM, it looks stunning and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Had a nice long chat with Mike as well, it's nice to be able to meet people in person after chatting with them online.

As others have said 'Keep up the good work, Mike and Ben'.

Regards,

John P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Here is a link to Rapido's latest UK newsletter: http://conta.cc/2baXyor

It explains that they have had to increase production significantly to cope with our models and that has caused some delays, and that the Pendolino should go into production this Autumn.

It's taken them longer than expected to sort out those pesky couplers!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hello all,

Here is a link to Rapido's latest UK newsletter: http://conta.cc/2baXyor

It explains that they have had to increase production significantly to cope with our models and that has caused some delays, and that the Pendolino should go into production this Autumn.

It's taken them longer than expected to sort out those pesky couplers!

Cheers

Ben A.

Thank you for keeping us up to date Ben.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Ben, Mike

Firstly: Great Job! I think it's quite illuminating to see how much scope for delay there is in the process. Although I'd expect the big manufacturers to be better-placed to deal with unexpected hold-ups, your bulletins go a long way to demystifying the entire business of getting from the initial idea to actual production, which seems to cause so much difficulty to just about everyone in the business.

Secondly: will there be a "confirmation" stage where (for example) the record of my order will be updated to say which set number I selected? I am 99.9% certain that I did my set selection more or less on the first day that I could; but that was a while ago and now I'm having pangs about whether I did it or not.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Anyone who paid in full before we knew which sets we would be offering might not have the set choice on their order - I will see if it is easy to add.

Anyone who ordered after we had the set numbers or paid a balance will be able to see their choice(s) in their orders.

If not we will contact anyone who has paid but not selected their set yet.

Cheers, Mike

Anyone who paid in full before we knew which sets we would be offering might not have the set choice on their order - I will see if it is easy to add.

That would be me. I did look at my order last night but I couldn't see anything there about the set number

If not we will contact anyone who has paid but not selected their set yet.

Brilliant! Like I said, I'm 99.9% certain that I have actually registered my choice, but I'm getting pangs about it now.

Jim

Hi Gang,

I think that the reality seems like with production starting later in the Autumn....it may well be early next year before we see the final product in all its finery on our doormats. Whilst the delays are disappointing, the transparency is refreshing, we still have a faster timescale than some manufacturers.....and the footage of TEA tankers actually in production are a boost to the appetite in the interim and tangible evidence that progress has been made unlike items such as the Farish DBSO, Dapol 50s and various other offerings.

Fortunately, these are 'must have' items and are now paid for, they will arrive in due course, whereas all the other 'future' releases will be vying for disposable income. The only guaranteed purchases for the future will be DBSOs as price and other factors dictate more judicious spending.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

Edited by Stu from EGDL

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Rapido appear to have sorted out the coupler issues.  Video of 11-car Pendolino set (fitted with interior coach lighting, to check for "flicker") running here around Kato first and second radius curves and through #4 points:

To recap; we had set them a pretty tall order:  The couplers had to incorporate close-coupling mechs, transfer power between vehicles and be simple to clip together as unlike, say, the Brighton Belle, no one wanted to be coupling 11 cars on their side then trying to rotate them onto the track.

The first iteration worked, but was too flimsy.  The second was sturdy enough, but had a tendency to "hunt" from side to side - especially on tight curves.  So we asked them to go back to the drawing board and here we are with version 3.

This sample is being sent to us to check and approve, hopefully in time for our supporters (and anyone else, come to that!) to see it at TINGS, where Revolution Trains will be on stand 34.  We will be announcing a couple of new unpowered items for potential production (only, of course, if they generate enough support) but we have decided to avoid announcing any more powered models until we have delivered the TEAs and have the Pendo at least fully tested, approved and in production, so customers asked to pay up front can have a degree of confidence.

Yes, it has taken longer than we would like and yes, there is still work to do.  But, as BR used to say, we're getting there!   And we would not have got this far without everyone who signed up or without the skill, experience, professionalism, good humour and patience of Rapido!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Looking good! Something as fundamental as couplings have to be tested within an inch of their lives, so both you and Rapido are to be commended for refusing to cut corners in delivering a quality product. Too many models are over-hyped with the 'best ever' tag - this may actually be justified.

• RMweb Gold

You may have already mentioned it in a previous post but do you have any rough ideas on delivery times?

Hi Jeremy

No, and as we noted in a recent newsletter we won't speculate (for two reasons: one, things change very quickly; and secondly that inevitably if we say a date then if it isn't met people start emailing us). What we will always do is show people on our website and newsletters the progress so that people can see where we are with the projects.

I think it is fair to say that as soon as the sample lands in the UK we should be very close to authorising production ;-)

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Looking good!!, quick question, will the light bars work with DCC? I noticed they went out when the unit stopped.

Cheers

Hi Tim,

Yes, as Terry says that was a DC set. The bars will work with DCC.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A