Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

My 5801 has arrived and runs beautifully, on the flat and on DC, but then that's all I will ever ask of it!

The weathering is impressively uniform, really captures the workaday look.

• Like 1

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I really do like the light weathering they have applied to several of the GWR liveried models, but sadly not the BR liveried ones. Does anyone know if new versions of the 14xx/48xx/58xx will ever be released at some futures date or are these models to be 'one-offs'?

• RMweb Gold

Looks quite alright to me apart from the white streaking on the smokebox which looks odd and which in my view doesn't match the pattern normally seen on an engine which has been priming - as seen below

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h58F12192#h34fcf4a0

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h58F12192#h965fc3b

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h58F12192#h73101f1e

Guest 7007GreatWestern

It may not look quite right but it's still streets ahead of any weathering we have seen from the likes of Hornby lol.

Agreed - I have a pair of Hornby factory weathered 2884s that look like an agricultural muck spreader has driven past them.  The wheels and motion have been sprayed a rather fetching hue of diarrhoea brown. There is hardly any weathering on the top of the boiler or cab because, of course, soot and cinders thrown out of the chimney don't land there! 

I agree the Hattons weathering is miles better than that.

• RMweb Gold

Looks quite alright to me apart from the white streaking on the smokebox which looks odd and which in my view doesn't match the pattern normally seen on an engine which has been priming - as seen below

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h58F12192#h34fcf4a0

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h58F12192#h965fc3b

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h58F12192#h73101f1e

The other thing is that those 14XXs have the word 'copy' stamped on them, can't see that on the Hattons models, either.

• RMweb Gold

The thing to remember about the 14xx, is that they were essentially a passenger locomotive. As such, being the smallest locomotive, they usually became the 'shed pet'. Regular drivers in the link wouldn't really let a locomotive get to the condition of some of the models I've seen. Sure, they'd get dirty, but not filthy. Priming off the chimney indicates a full boiler, either clean or dirty water, and is usually black spots either way. Priming off the safety valves will give you the 'white' residue. If you've got white around the tank filler, then that's usually because of water treatment.

Shed staff usually wouldn't tolerate a locomotive priming, as it's wasteful of coal. If a safety valve is passing 'light' (ie, blowing off before the stated pressure of 165psi) then that would normally go into the driver's defect book, and be looked at. With 3 large workshops on the Western (Swindon, Caerphilly & Wolverhampton) it was a 24 hour turnaround to get a new set of safety valves from stores.

I like the weathering, but not too heavy. My order is somewhere between Liverpool & Newport, so I guess I'll see it next week.

Despite all I've written, final judgement rests with the owner. If you like it, that's fine! Happy Easter!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Weathering on railways always contains rust colour off the rails. The 14XX in my hands looks like it was dipped in grey emulsion! If it doesn't look right on a scenic layout, as in post #1933, then it isn't right.

You maybe right but to be fair the livery is wartime black not GWR green and therefore it shews up more than it should. I'm reasonably happy with it and wouldn't risk toning it down a touch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You maybe right but to be fair the livery is wartime black not GWR green and therefore it shews up more than it should. I'm reasonably happy with it and wouldn't risk toning it down a touch.

And yet oddly enough the black on your model almost shows up as green.Maybe because of the weathering ? Don't know but it is an attractive loco notwithstanding Larry's fair point about the rust. I suppose it all comes down to a matter of personal taste.It obviously appeals to more than a few of us

A Masterpiece crew was added this afternoon.The wealth of cab detail is impressive.

Well...  this is the one I ordered and I am quite excited after seeing your photos.  I need to hurry up and paint my crew then!  And I am glad to hear she is a good runner as well!  It will look lovely sitting in a box waiting for a layout that might take a few years to build :P

• RMweb Gold

Glorious Devon with Brent Tor in the background.An image of perfection attainable nowadays only in your dreams .....given the traffic on the A30 and M5......the loco brings out the green of Devon and the bygone GWR.Yes I know it's described as "black" :imsohappy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My 5814 is going back. After many hours of running in (DC only), it still can't run at low power before eventually stalling, the wheels keeping binding and surging until they finally stop dead. I'm opting for trying a replacement first so we'll have to see how that goes.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

A question for some of the very knowledgable folks on here. If I had a Hattons 58xx and wanted to convert it to a 14xx/48xx what would be the necessary modifications? I'm guessing the differences are as follows:-

-14xx/48xx has and additional run of conduit on driver's side running along running plate and up to cab site sheet.

-14xx/48xx has two and not one battery box mounted on frames below running plate, driver's side.

-14xx/48xx has auto train connector gear on both buffer beams.

Are there any other differences I have missed?

Andy.

My 5814 is going back. After many hours of running in (DC only), it still can't run at low power before eventually stalling, the wheels keeping binding and surging until they finally stop dead. I'm opting for trying a replacement first so we'll have to see how that goes.

I had three that run sweetly...Hows that for luck? But there were other issues and the final straw came this morning when I ran one of them through some points. The trailing wheels tried to mount the frog every time when negotiating a Peco Code 83 #8 turnout. When travelling over a Peco Code 75 turnout the rear wheels kicked the frog with a jolt. I immediately tested them with a back-to-back gauge and found them too wide apart. Removal of a keeper plate screw and unclipping the rear end revealed a captive axle in what appears to be a metal split chassis. The axle is thicker than the wheel mountings and so I can see no way of pushing the trailing wheels closer together even if it were possible to remove them.

There will be no DJM inspired designs on my layout!  

Edited by coachmann