• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, KNP said:

I went to Haverfordwest once but I was in a Vauxhall?

8 hours ago, Benbow said:

Steady ....my old Dad was a Senior Exec at Vauxhall back in the days when we still had a healthy Car Industry even if they were owned by GM! :D

Policeman: What's your name?

Spiv: Nuttall

P: Where are you going?

S: Whitehall

P: What make's your car?

S: Vauxhall.

P: What's in the boot?

S: Absolutely nothing at all, officer.

I thank you.

(For the avoidance of doubt, any resemblance to members of this forum is entirely coincidental)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

On 28/02/2019 at 04:41, NHY 581 said:

Morning all.

The photo below shows the DAS now in place. 

Various scenic treatments will be dished out in due course. 

In answer to the DAS itself, pieces are firstly cut from the block and then rolled out. The resulting 'panels' are cut to size of roughly 6 inches long with width dependent o n the gaps between any trackwork. I generally aim for a depth consistent with the top of the sleeper.  

These panels are laid onto a bed of neat pva. Any joins between pane ls are smoothed with water and a bit of clay slurry.

Any inconsistencies in level or surface add to the character.

Any buildings are gently pushed into the soft clay to avoid any gaps between buildings and ground. 

Some areas  will be left smooth and treated as concrete. Others s cribed ( not much!) whilst grass and barbarque ash will be added elsewhere. 

The buildings in the photograph are therefore in their final positions. The square base is that of a yard crane. I have started putting the crane together from the spares box to produce what I hope will be, a fairly typical, small hand crane. 

Rob. 

20190227_201548.jpg

Rob - great to see progress. Stunning stuff as ever! :good_mini:

PS - I do apologise for asking as I know you will have explained and I must have stupidly missed it, but is the latest layout also built on an Ikea Lack unit?

Edited by south_tyne
Additional question!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Rob - great to see progress. Stunning stuff as ever! :good_mini:

PS - I do apologise for asking as I know you will have explained and I must have stupidly missed it, but is the latest layout also built on an Ikea Lack unit?

Good morning David. 

Thank you. 

The info is in here somewhere but best of luck finding it!!!

The modelling does get submerged at times......

Bleat Wharf and Mutton both use baseboards for the scenic sections which are the table tops from a set of LACK 'nest of tables'. 

The set comprises two tables. The larger one is 120cm x 40cm x 5cm. This is what I have used. 

The second is 60cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

£25 the pair. 

They are lightweight and at 40cm wide, not as tricky to move about as a 60cm wide board. 

The fiddle yard is a smaller LACK TV table, 90cm x 26cm x 5cm and this is £9. 

Rob. 

lack-nest-of-tables-set-of-2-grey__0494724_pe627328_s31.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The yard crane, as documented elsewhere, continues to evolve. 

It uses parts from a variety of sources lifted from the spares box. 

Rob. 

20190304_222749.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Good morning David. 

Thank you. 

The info is in here somewhere but best of luck finding it!!!

The modelling does get submerged at times......

Bleat Wharf and Mutton both use baseboards for the scenic sections which are the table tops from a set of LACK 'nest of tables'. 

The set comprises two tables. The larger one is 120cm x 40cm x 5cm. This is what I have used. 

The second is 60cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

£25 the pair. 

They are lightweight and at 40cm wide, not as tricky to move about as a 60cm wide board. 

The fiddle yard is a smaller LACK TV table, 90cm x 26cm x 5cm and this is £9. 

Rob. 

lack-nest-of-tables-set-of-2-grey__0494724_pe627328_s31.jpg

Thanks Rob, that is really useful! I might see if I can get hold of some of them tables, as together they would suit my space perfectly. 

Oh and I like the random divergences from the modelling, it provides a lot of entertainment! 

Thanks as ever for your help,

David 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm suffering from a Botus Fleming and feel like carp.

Rub yourself down with half a pound of finest salt ash then don your Cardinal Hat. You'll be up and about in no time and no longer have a craving for a fish supper.

P

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Got my copy of Model Rail and it was great to see Sheep Lane a and Mutton in there. Well done Rob, thoroughly deserved, a fine couple of layouts.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I hope they come across well enough. One or two annoying inaccuracies in the text, my name in the first paragraph for a start but Chris Nevard did a fine job on the photos. Overall the article looks very nice indeed, well presented......... and I finally get to see my layouts in print. Bargain. 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Chris Nevard did a fine job on the photos.

Indeed Chris is a fine photographer. He did us proud when he photographed the 'late' Matford for publication in MR.

Here's one of them from 2011.

556899461_Matford1.jpg.12de3413c85974617f405b4fcc5c21ca.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Prefer your backscene...

Looks like the end of a flat world. I worry for any sheep grazing near to the sides  as if they accidentally toppled off, it looks like they may be falling into a universe sized abyss.

Chas. M. Edge

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Looks like the end of a flat world. I worry for any sheep grazing near to the sides  as if they accidentally toppled off, it looks like they may be falling into a universe sized abyss.

Chas. M. Edge

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone but it's not real.............these are toy trains on narrow shelves............It's a bit of make believe...........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Here are a couple of the images taken by Chris Nevard of Sheep Lane which feature in the article.

I hope you like. 

Rob

180206 Sheep Lane DSC_9818c_preview.jpeg

180206 Sheep Lane DSC_9794_preview.jpeg

Well deserved and not before time too ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Chas. M. Edge

This happens in real life quite a lot at Southerndown on the South Wales coast, where sheep graze close to the edge of a 200 foot high cliff.  They do not fare well in the resulting terminal velocity contact with the rocks below...

Stupid things, wooly bags of bones looking for ways to die.

Or a Borg like collective lulling humanity into a false sense of security with bad intent.  Look into those black, soulless, eyes and be afraid, be a very fraid...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

All very well, but what does our Norman feel about having some posh photographer shoving his oar in?

Norman 's an admirer of Mr Nevard's work and has extended an invitation to Chris to join him for a fry up. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rob, long-time lurker but seems like a good time to drop in and say how much I enjoy this thread and your layouts. The ground textures and the stock weathering in particular are fantastic. All very nice for those of us with a LSWR leaning too. 

Adam

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Is it me, or is there a slight 'fish-eye' distortion on those pics ?

HaddockSavers 2 For 1 mate !