NR suspend WCRC from tonight

Just heard on my local gen forum, WCRC has been banned from Network Rail effective tonight. Citing "operational incidents" this will apparently cover all preserved, charter and freight movements.

Wonder if this is a consequence of Tangmeres incident?

NR have circulated the following email with a  formal statement due today: This is major news and will have a massive impact on charter trains booked for the Easter weekend and beyond not to mention employees and other customers. Lets hope it gets resolved quickly.

Please be advised that due to ongoing safety concerns, Network Rail has taken the decision to serve a Suspension Notice upon West Coast Railways. The suspension of West Coast Railways will take effect from 00:00 on Friday 3 April 2015 and will apply to all services operated by West Coast Railways on all NR Routes. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes charter passenger services, freight services, NSC services and light engine moves. From 00:00 on Friday 3 April 2015, West Coast Railways are not to be permitted to operate on our Routes

This appears to be connected:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dangerous-occurrence-at-wootton-bassett-junction-wiltshire

NR have circulated the following email with a formal statement due today: This is major news and will have a massive impact on charter trains booked for the Easter weekend and beyond not to mention employees and other customers. Lets hope it gets resolved quickly.

This appears to be connected:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dangerous-occurrence-at-wootton-bassett-junction-wiltshire

Eeeew! That doesn't read well, does it? Was it WCRC that had the light engine SPAD at Stafford not all that long ago? <EDIT> It wasn't: see next post </EDIT>

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Eeeew! That doesn't read well, does it? Was it WCRC that had the light engine SPAD at Stafford not all that long ago?

Jim

No. It was DCR.

Cheers,

Mick

And before everyone jumps on the bash DCR bandwagon, things have been drastically overhauled and improved massively since the Stafford incident. If there happen to be any similar shortcomings at WCRC, let's hope this time out gives them chance to refocus and pick themselves up. It's the customers booked on WCRC hauled trains over the next few weeks I feel sorry for

jo

And before everyone jumps on the bash DCR bandwagon, things have been drastically overhauled and improved massively since the Stafford incident. If there happen to be any similar shortcomings at WCRC, let's hope this time out gives them chance to refocus and pick themselves up. It's the customers booked on WCRC hauled trains over the next few weeks I feel sorry for

jo

Missed that, what happened with DCR at Stafford?.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Going to be a LOT of very peeved railtour punters in the next couple of weeks.

What a shambles...

And no doubt a lot of peeved modellers without novelty maroon heritage locos inexplicably popping up every 5 mins...ha ha!

the bit im unsure of is could west coast still provide drivers to route conduct, traction cunduct etc while they are unable to run trains of their own?

I would have thought that, in light of RAIB details of the Tangmere incident coupled with the subsequent NR letter that implies WCRC haven't got sufficient management procedures in place, all personnel connected with WCRC are now unable to operate on Network Rail infrastructure.

• RMweb Premium

Am I getting confused or do West Coast Railways not provide the power for The Northern Belle land cruises? Sure I've seen them at Wemyss Bay . Are there any scheduled over bank holiday weekend?

I appreciate there's a lot of distractions on a steam loco footplate; blowers, fires, water, other bods on the footplate, sighting difficulties, along with AWS/TWPS and whatever, but signal observation should be top priority.

According to the published report the driver failed to react to the AWS warnings; there's also a mention of access to the footplate, so expect "unofficial" footplate rides to be abolished completely. Driver, fireman, and route conductor should be more than enough.

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate there's a lot of distractions on a steam loco footplate; blowers, fires, water, other bods on the footplate, sighting difficulties, along with AWS/TWPS and whatever, but signal observation should be top priority.

According to the published report the driver failed to react to the AWS warnings; there's also a mention of access to the footplate, so expect "unofficial" footplate rides to be abolished completely. Driver, fireman, and route conductor should be more than enough.

You're forgetting the owner's representative.

Archived