Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Models to be sent overseas will start to be posted on Wednesday. Just spoke to lochad 

Had a lovely conversation with Amanda today she could not have been more helpful . Please guys don't take your frustrations out on her !  

• Like 1

anyone heard from locomotion recently?

got three rings of my mobile but they rung off before i could answer.

thats as close as I have got, although i have gone to APC to collect my units. looking at the shipping notes there are at least 5 labels layered up on top of one another, so god knows where they been round the country.

I was (am) being patient Dave.  What I am not impressed with is that I have someone's details (not just the order numbers but their name, address, telephone number and email address) and presumably they or someone else has mine.

Once I have my locomotive and the process is complete I will shred the paperwork but I have no idea whether the other person will treat my information with the same care.

This also suggests that APC may not be the only ones who have messed up here.

thanks for confirming they have breached the GDPR regs as I suspected they had done.

do you have billing address information and card numbers on the paperwork ?

Edited by damo2929

Why do you need to know this ? 

Because they can then argue we should be taking legal action against Locomotion, and possibly land them with a fine that will be to the detrement of the preservation of some of the finest pieces of railway history. The net result a few people may gain at the expense of a collective loss.

Congratulations.

• RMweb Gold

God I hope not. Those suspecting that someone knows their address and uses that to take legal action against a museum would need to examine their motivation. If it is being opportunist to make a quick buck then shame on them. They should remember that lots of people know their address so what harm is one more? Remember telephone directories that had everyone's name, address and phone number.

• Like 2

I think we should all behave a little more maturely and cease this silly talk of GDPR breaches. This is just bloody stupid. We are enjoying a railway hobby - dozens and dozens of companies with thousands of employees all know where we live. So what?

We have become a culture of blame and demanding compensation for the smallest problem, a stone cracked my windscreen yesterday but I'm not ordering a solicitor to sue the car in front, the council and the contractor that resurfaced the road. It happened, I got over it.

I (like most) don't see any point in trying to damage the NRM, quite the opposite, why try to take money that's best used preserving the national collection?

They're making the best of a bad situation. Does this have to be a blame game?

Edited by WD0-6-0

Because they can then argue we should be taking legal action against Locomotion, and possibly land them with a fine that will be to the detrement of the preservation of some of the finest pieces of railway history. The net result a few people may gain at the expense of a collective loss.

Congratulations.

Its about revenge.

They would gain nothing financially  but the Science Museum Group could lose a lot.

If it is believed there has been a data breach there is a process to go through, which I am not going to discuss here. If that process concludes a breach has occurred a fine could be made but they would  NOT profit from it.

• RMweb Gold

Its about revenge.

They would gain nothing financially  but the Science Museum Group could lose a lot.

If it is believed there has been a data breach there is a process to go through, which I am not going to discuss here. If that process concludes a breach has occurred a fine could be made but they would  NOT profit from it.

I completely agree. And it's all done in proportion. Even if the ICO takes an interest, if there aren't many people affected, the likelihood is a smack on the wrists or less.

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, I’ve been hearing about the letter that talks about the rolling stock. I’m not going to get my model until September - are there any details or is it more of a statement of intent at the moment?

Either was, it’s very interesting.

• RMweb Gold

my cheque book (anyone remember them?) has my name and address printed on every single cheque.

I think some folk need to calm down or grow up.

It also has your account number etc yet many people want to keep that secret too!.

I agree some people need to wise up about all this data protection nonsense.

Congratulations.

Nobody here can take legal action against Locomotion in respect of GDPR. That's a matter for the ICO. People can, of course, make a complaint to the ICO, but the prospect of it leading to significant (or even any!) punitive action is extremely remote.

Obviously, if someone has ordered, and paid for, a model and it never arrives, or it arrives damaged, or unworkable, or whatever, then they may have a claim under various aspects of consumer protection legislation. But even then, they would need to have given Locomotion reasonable opportunity to correct the problem before taking it to court. And, at the moment, that's entirely moot, as nobody has yet suggested that anyone who ordered a model is going to fail to get one. 

GDPR is simply the latest Millennium Bug; a thing the ignorant delight in unnecessarily panicking over.

Those who actually understand this, well done. Everyone else; for God's sake take a Chill Pill.

Not quite. The bug was just doom mongering.

Having worked in I.T. during that time and having been trained in Corporate Data Protection, UK/EU Data Protection (not up to speed on the GDPR though) and the Human Rights Act I would compare the over reaction to GDPR to the same as the frequently miss used and misquoted Human Rights Act.

Based on the letter I received from Locomotion Model but not on the labelling of model because I've still not got mine a quick risk assessment.

No card information  included. 

Data that may have been breached Name and address. Telephone number and E-mail address. 

Therefore risk factor very low.

Not quite. The bug was just doom mongering.

Having worked in I.T. during that time and having been trained in Corporate Data Protection, UK/EU Data Protection (not up to speed on the GDPR though) and the Human Rights Act I would compare the over reaction to GDPR to the same as the frequently miss used and misquoted Human Rights Act.

Based on the letter I received from Locomotion Model but not on the labelling of model because I've still not got mine a quick risk assessment.

No card information  included. 

Data that may have been breached Name and address. Telephone number and E-mail address. 

Therefore risk factor very low.

I'm somewhat jaundiced, having just spent 3 months advising on the wretched thing and drafting endless GDPR-compliant documents.

Sadly, these days you cannot earn a living wage as a wet paint monitor, as this would have been less dull. 

We have become a culture of blame and demanding compensation for the smallest problem, a stone cracked my windscreen yesterday but I'm not ordering a solicitor to sue the car in front, the council and the contractor that resurfaced the road. It happened, I got over it.

I (like most) don't see any point in trying to damage the NRM, quite the opposite, why try to take money that's best used preserving the national collection?

They're making the best of a bad situation. Does this have to be a blame game?

We know live in a  "somebody else's fault" culture. That promotes seeking to apply blame and get compensation, even where it is of little benefit.

Unfortunately the "bad situation" is partly if not wholly of  NRM's doing, as they failed to ensure that APC could provide the service needed and correctly handle the data files provided. As others have said, the GDPR issue is something of a red herring, but in trying to ensure all customers got their new model as quickly as possible - and perhaps in response to some of the earlier posts here on RMweb - the NRM took a course of action which led to this outcome.