Warley 2012

bbishop

I went on Saturday after a gap of a couple of years, and despite recent misgivings about the show (mainly concerning the venue but also it's place within the hobby), was pleasantly surprised enough to lift it from "only with a gun to my head" to a "must make a bit of an effort". Well done to all involved, I hope you had an enjoyable weekend.

One layout that caught my eye (although it was on the recce list) was "Southwold", as an example of what can be achieved in a modest space when there is a desire to model a real prototype, regardless of the availability of stock or associated buildings. I don't follow narrow gauge that closely, but I see the number of Lynton & Barnstaple layouts have grown. Soon these will be as common as GWR branch lines used to be....!

One version of the 85's was going for £39.99 for awhile until another trader bought the last few and starting selling them for £50............................. Capitalism is alive and well.

Glad I beat him to at least one then. :)

• RMweb Premium

Here is the "very nice Toad" (bought earlier at the Warley stand) on Stand E42.

Many thanks Barry O.

post-14049-0-66871900-1353864241_thumb.jpg

At home, coupled up to a Southall wagon from Robbie Burns, waiting for the job to be completed with powders bought from the Show.

post-14049-0-32195400-1353864261.jpg

Fame at last - beware the blue latex gloves!!!!

• RMweb Premium

For me it was the best Warley for a long time, great to say hello to a few old and new friends, great layouts and traders, I enjoyed Saturday immensely. Was not tempted in the end by either manifestation of the BP. Dapol Western is awesome as was the Beyer Garratt. Treated myself to an easi-fold and a Roco Z2 before I lost my nerve and closed my wallet.

Saw some good layouts, completely blown away by Lime St, but I also loved the French layout who's name escapes me Loudon to Ch......., the scenery on this layout was the best I have ever seen, so understated yet so detailed.

A little disappointed by some layouts inability to have anything moving for over 5mins. at one time, but forget that I loved this Warley.10/10. Cross country trains on the way there and back 2/10 appalling service.

• RMweb Premium

... the star of the show for me was Loch Tat. I don't think I've ever seen such accomplished scenic modelling in 2mm or N (Ralph - you photos are required!).

'ere you go then... my pic's of Loch Tat. Might go and look for the real location on holiday next year.

Enjoy

Ralph

Loch Tat 1

post-319-0-26043300-1353880519.jpg

Loch Tat 2 - Signal study. A working lattice post signal in 2mm!!

post-319-0-08713600-1353880541_thumb.jpg

Loch Tat 3 - Fishing boat

post-319-0-64871400-1353880543.jpg

Loch Tat 4

post-319-0-33173500-1353880546.jpg

Loch Tat 5

post-319-0-34644600-1353880549.jpg

Loch Tat 6

post-319-0-10979700-1353880554.jpg

Loch Tat 7

post-319-0-29227400-1353880557.jpg

Loch Tat 8

post-319-0-36867600-1353880560.jpg

Loch Tat 9 embankment detail

post-319-0-07689800-1353880563.jpg

Loch Tat 10 - Rocks detail

post-319-0-17703900-1353880566.jpg

Loch Tat 11 - beware of the sheep!

post-319-0-04790900-1353880569.jpg

Just got home from a long day. Another triumph for the Warley club. No mean feat to organise a show of this size. So well done. I spent the morning doing the trade and society stands. Overspent of course - beautiful Bachmann Class C amongst my acquisitions. After lunch a look at the layouts. Of those I saw (I think I missed some) County Gate and Cliffhanger took my eye as these were really the only 'fully scenic' models on show. Liverpool Lime Street, Bath Green Park awesome projects both. Cornwallis Yard - one of my favourites since seeing it at Southwold in August.

But after that few really moved me, although I do not detract from the owners's craft or art, I do think that presentation of some was verging on awful. Poor lighting, no back-scenes, nothing happening, ponderous shunting manoeuvres . Shows like this are showbiz, the artistes need some sparkle, some life.

If as modellers we create our railways with attention to detail that is often discussed on this forum, why not go that little bit further and complete the job?

Overall I enjoyed myself. Thanks to all who contributed.

He bought them just as I tried to buy one -and they appeared on his stand very quickly

Would they be second hand?

I think that technically they second hand are as the seller is not the original retailer. Warranties could be therefore be affected.

Please does anyone know why we have to pay £10 to park for this show, but for the forthcoming massive Toy Fair in Hall 18 on the 27th of December, parking is free?

That'll be NEC policy if you've parked in one of their car parks.

EDIT: Look at it another way, those who go to the toy fair are just very fortunate!

PS What a lovely first post! Welcome to RMweb! :)

it's place within the hobby.

That's an interesting thing to say - I suspect I know just what you mean...

Just in case anyone thinks we're talking in "Hushed tones", I was thinking of the fact that the show is often poorly recieved by new unsuspecting visitors, excessive stand rents (which I'd squarely blame on the capitalist managment who run the poorly lit and ill planned venue) means it isn't the showcase of smaller manufacturers you'd want to see, and other shows in other parts of the country suffer a vacuum effect as key exhibits and traders are elsewhere. There is also the negative perception that the Continental layouts are the only memorable ones, when in fact a good proportion of the home grown ones would recieve star billing at a more typical show.

That of course doesn't mean that it is all bad news, some traders obviously do very well and the Warley club seems to be battling to constantly improve standards for those involved. And I still think the entrance fee is a bargain...!

Just in case anyone thinks we're talking in "Hushed tones", I was thinking of the fact that the show is often poorly recieved by new unsuspecting visitors, excessive stand rents (which I'd squarely blame on the capitalist managment who run the poorly lit and ill planned venue) means it isn't the showcase of smaller manufacturers you'd want to see, and other shows in other parts of the country suffer a vacuum effect as key exhibits and traders are elsewhere. There is also the negative perception that the Continental layouts are the only memorable ones, when in fact a good proportion of the home grown ones would recieve star billing at a more typical show.

That of course doesn't mean that it is all bad news, some traders obviously do very well and the Warley club seems to be battling to constantly improve standards for those involved. And I still think the entrance fee is a bargain...!

As a trader Warley is fantastic! And I personally found it to be incredibly well managed in a very professional manner by the Warley MRC. Even the cost of the smallest stand is very high compared with local shows, but it does give you a shop front to thousands of people through the weekend.

However it's all too easy to get caught up in the moment and believe it is the be-all-and-end-all of the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

Please does anyone know why we have to pay £10 to park for this show, but for the forthcoming massive Toy Fair in Hall 18 on the 27th of December, parking is free?

In the case of the massive toy fair everybody is paying a percentage of their admission cost, punters and traders fees to subsidise the free car parking.

In the case of the Warley exhibition you have the choice.

In the case of Warley club all the surplus proceeds are ploughed back into the club and hobby.

In the case of a toy fair all surplus goes the the organisers back pocket.

Hope this answers your question..

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

We managed to get the layout loaded and away by 5.45pm but the M40 was slow with an accident South o f Banbury so took us till gone 9pm to get home to Surrey.

We thoroughly enjoyed the show even though we didn't get much chance to look at the layouts. We were very pleasantly surprised by how good the organising was after hearing many poor views of it. for us it went very well despite me misplacing the parking vouchers which luckily I did manage to find.

Definitely looking forward to taking our N scale layouts in future years.

What I did see of the layouts, I thought this was a superb show this year especially with all the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway layouts and the full size Manning and Wardle replica LYD. OK I'm biased as its my favourite narrow gauge route.

Ian

Arrived back home after two tiring days of operating a layout.

Good to meet many friends and to get some bookings for our new layout.

I am not a fan of the NEC from my own personal experiences via work BUT i must say that apart from some long queues the catering was excellent and the staff always had a smile on their face, which is not bad when they were serving 650+ exhibitor and stewards meals a day. the food was of great quality, ( wish they did that when i am there attending trade shows!! )

Not quite the same as Berlin,Cologne or Las Vegas but getting better :good:

If they have not been used and are still in original packaging, no they are not second hand.

Fair point Nobby. Had a quick look through Google I cannot find a truly definitive answer but it seems a good does not have to be used to be second hand - as far as I can tell - it just needs to be pre-owned and usable thus covering both unused goods and used goods. There must be a lawyer on the forum..... it's a complex area regarding VAT and consumer rights.

Guest Belgian

I was amazed by the strange reluctance of the prototype railway to take any money from me as I tried to avaoid paying a whopping £10 to park at the NEC and to arrive at the NEC in the dry in order to avoid the massively long walks to/from the car parks which seem to be in the next county and the torrential rains that were forecast (but didn't materialise)..

I tried to get to Hampton-in-Arden but the turn had two to three feet of flood water, so I went back to try and find Marston Green, ending up at Lea Hall. There I was able to park for free, courtesy of the local council.

The ticket office was closed of course, but there was no ticket machine to buy a ticket, so I climbed aboard a Silverlink (or whatever it's called now, LMR or something) together with a fair old crowd, none of whom had been able to get tickets either. We didn't see a ticket man or guard or whatever they call them now. The fare should have been £1-90 return.

Two stations along most of us got off and exited up the stairs to the NEC exit at Birmingham International, which had no barriers or staff to collect/check for tickets.

Upon returning I went to the ticket office to ask for a ticket and was asked for £2-10 - for what turned out to be a single, 20p more than a return. Again there were no checks and I could have returned for free had I been so inclined. The train was wedged.

Surely the railway companies, normally so keen to catch people out for not travelling in the right seat or on the right train, could have known that there were a number of shows on at the NEC to which many would travel by train and put staff on. As it was, they ran trains for free. Beggars belief!

JE

PS. I spent a considerable time looking out to see if I could 'spot' one A York. I saw at least 6, but none of them answered when I said 'Hi Andy', they just looked at me as if I was mental (I am).

and, PPS, it was a great show in my opinion: not too crowded, not too hot, you could get to see the exhibits and I didn't get clobbered by any rucksacks and only had to hold my breath once. I thought the variety and spread of the layouts was stunning and my favourite was the Dublin street scene with its trams. But no bullet holes in the Post Office.

Enjoyable and great value day as ever!

Has anyone got any videos or photos of Veldhoven 1935 that really show the perspective trick well? Genuinely quite amazing to look at and one of the first times I've felt that I was looking at a miniature real-world, rather than a model.

Pix

• RMweb Premium

I thought Loch Tat was stunning, how it didn't win either one of the N/2mm pots is beyond me.

Jerry

(Dons flame suit)

It was a diesel layout................

Cheers,

Mick

p.s.Loch Tat is very very good

Archived