Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

What is that grey pole stuck on the end of one of the tracks?

Temporary lighting maybe? or is it some kind of movement sensor system. Here's the best crop I can do from my photos.

post-6971-0-39523600-1365265909_thumb.jpg

post-6971-0-10839600-1365266114.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

One more to add from today, from the road bridge at Thorne Junction looking towards Doncaster. Two massive Cat dozers receiving attention in the work area, a mini-train including a couple of trolleys with seats, winding gear and an excavator at work visible in the distance on the right, and another of those grey poles on the left. Cuckoo Lane bridge in the distance (light grey with dark on top).

post-6971-0-44850400-1365266969.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just read the item about the landslip in the lastest Railway Magazine and it said that,"...and monitoring equipment has been placed around the site, preventing Network Rail from using machinery there." so I agree that those poles could be the monitoring equipment.

Local news... BBC Look North has reported trains will be routed via Gainsborough Freight line to Knottingley before reversal to Doncaster but drivers will require training on the route, whilst Selby Swing bridge is repaired.

Couldn't Selby Swingbridge be craned out and replaced in a weekend with a newer bridge which is dual track as surely this would also improve the amount of traffic flow through the station, freight and passenger?

Local news... BBC Look North has reported trains will be routed via Gainsborough Freight line to Knottingley before reversal to Doncaster but drivers will require training on the route, whilst Selby Swing bridge is repaired.

Couldn't Selby Swingbridge be craned out and replaced in a weekend with a newer bridge which is dual track as surely this would also improve the amount of traffic flow through the station, freight and passenger?

You mean the Goole to Knottingley.

Also on TV noted the moaning passengers complaining about the diversion. Surley its better than getting on and off a bus whilst the work is going on.

Paul

• Like 2

Selby swingbridge is dual track anyway so no gain in capacity by replacing it and as most traffic over it takes the Leeds route and/or stops at Selby a higher linespeed over the bridge would make very little difference either.

• Like 1

:)

Swingbridges are tempremental creatures - I probably have more experience of working on railway swingbridges than anyone else on here.

There's a (non blockpost) signal box on top of Selby bridge too so it's a very complex beast. And it's not being repaired as such, more refurbished and renovated. Even if a new bridge was to be fitted it would be more than a weekend - the old workings/foundations would need to be removed and new ones installed in its place.

Edited by James
  • Like 4

Guest 838rapid

Its Official.... Transpennine Express are route learning route via Brigg Both  Drivers and Conductors....

Saw some ex workmates at Sheffield this afternoon on a spare 185,heading off to Cleethorpes via Brigg..

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The Selby blockade is going ahead. The cost of postponing auch a major blockade would be enormous.

"If it turns out that we can't come up with a workable plan, we will consider deferring the Selby works."

Quote taken from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-22076899

Cheers,

Mick

I intend to do a bit of bashing and get the freight line in the book. :sungum:

steve

"If it turns out that we can't come up with a workable plan, we will consider deferring the Selby works."

Quote taken from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-22076899

I'm just passing on what I get told at work - so it depends weather you'd rather listen to someone there or the BBC.

It's always possible but the cost implications would be considerable. It might even mean that it would be pushed back 'til next year.

• RMweb Premium

I'm just passing on what I get told at work - so it depends weather you'd rather listen to someone there or the BBC.

It's always possible but the cost implications would be considerable. It might even mean that it would be pushed back 'til next year.

If - and that's the same "if" as used by the Network Rail route managing director as quoted by the BBC - the Selby blockade is postponed, then maybe the extra costs could be pushed onto the insurers of the mine/landfill?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

When I emailed the British Geological Survey, the Engineering Geologist/Geomorphologist said his colleagues didn't know exactly what sort of equipment was up those poles (around post 326), but he'd try and find out.

Meanwhile...

Over on the Brigg line, it was pretty busy with coal trains (red ones, green ones and blue ones) on Saturday 13th. Just missed photographing one at Kirton Lime Sidings on my way out and then the same happened again on my way back, but captured a nicely-timed crossing at Brigg station (both trains crawled up to their signals, just before the signaller opened the gates):
post-6971-0-00185500-1365952865.jpg
Yes, it's the multicoloured swirly loco on the left

Green one going "straight on" at Wrawby Junction:
post-6971-0-13396800-1365953253.jpg

and a blue one from beside the River Ancholme just W of Brigg:
post-6971-0-12020200-1365952870.jpg

and in the same place, a red one passing the gas power station "don't want your sort round here mate":
post-6971-0-06339600-1365952871.jpg

And as a footnote, I saw someone with a suitcase (i.e. a non-enthusiast passenger) get off the Sheffield-Cleethorpes train at lunchtime at Brigg station!
  • Like 7

Guest 838rapid

That does sound about right,I understand its more to do with getting the 185 units to and from Ardwick for Heavy servicing than operating a service so to speak..

The timings for passengers are quicker by coach from Cleethorpes to Doncaster than via Brigg and Gainsborough and ECML.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The timings for passengers are quicker by coach from Cleethorpes to Doncaster than via Brigg and Gainsborough and ECML.

So what? Surely the mobility impaired, people with bicycles etc. that cannot (or are not allowed) to use replacement coaches are entitled to a replacement rail service too and couldn't care how much longer the diversion takes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Increased traffic at Donny is now impacting on the passenger traffic with delays on the ECML occuring regularly due to "following a slow moving train in front between Doncaster and Temple Hirst" or such like according to the tannoy announcements.