• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

talking of ferrets, I'm still none the wiser as to which spam was going through Bath today, some chap suggested it was, in fact, a packet... but I'm not convinced 🤷‍♂️

Edit:

Well blow me it was a packet, Clan Line to boot!  Mind you, in my defence, I was a long way away eating a pasty.

I watched it from the bottom of the garden, which mostly consisted of listening to it before a distant and fleeting glimpse of it and train where they cut vegetation back when they raised the pylons for the electrification that didn't happen.

Apologies for the extraneous lineside detail....

It sounded fabulous!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

talking of ferrets, I'm still none the wiser as to which spam was going through Bath today, some chap suggested it was, in fact, a packet... but I'm not convinced 🤷‍♂️

Edit:

Well blow me it was a packet, Clan Line to boot!  Mind you, in my defence, I was a long way away eating a pasty.

et voila.....

52083260415_12748a42e3_z.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Here's another of the treats awaiting those attending this years Larkrail, PMP's Selfie

5DDA488D-17F1-4CF1-968D-81B0813E7D2E.jpeg.e0db21b35b56eafb87ae57a1f4a7dc55.jpeg1DD8236F-A434-41FC-A217-51D88C67E913.jpeg.f272be3f64c12be045aaf20b81518b12.jpegJerry

AB4888EF-90FB-4A18-BA30-6A31585018DE.jpeg.daeb24fbea58d871bb69337c469896fd.jpeg

I feared the worst when I saw the phrase PMP's selfie.........treat did not readily spring to mind.......

Edited by NHY 581
Clarity.
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I feared the worst when I saw the phrase PMP's selfie.........treat did not readily spring to mind.......

Oops, tempted to leave it but......😀 !!

Jerry

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

CK has retired as head of bannana sales at Larkrail (though he is available for consultations) and is bringing a layout this year, the very lovely Bethesda sidings. Many thanks to his good self and Andy Y for the snaps,

Jerry

Bethesda_2.jpg.6c0e7af8880aa62a284b7ecb6bf06388.jpg.97bac1b3ca9d16e0c19b5864c4018c2f.jpgBethesda_overall.jpg.5717e135857f7d05131f322263fdd896.jpg.1c4cca033fa05303fe58aff639f55874.jpgBethesda_Detail_4.jpg.5ba84821f62f373139e1cd36b2b90818.jpg.a81cd12be387f4877699c9a5cd707925.jpgBethesda_3.jpg.d7a46faf4ea5b20d56b9b0d289ad77a6.jpg.1104ae1fb786d0b071be3664eca743a2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Jerry, very much looking forward to the show.

Looking at some of the earlier pages of another, longer-running thread in 'another place', I notice that Himself produced a parking map for visitors, indicating which residential roads might be possible to park on.

Not that I would wish to suggest further work on anyone, but might it be an idea for Castens Cartography to produce an updated version? 😃

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that layout looks pretty good - might mosey on down there myself.....

Parking will be available under the old brewery at Tollbridge road, just down from the bookshop,

There will be a free minibus shuttle running between the bookshop and parking at Tollbridge studios and the show itself in Larkhall, about a mile distant.

There are happily still no residents parking schemes in operation in this part of Bath so parking on the streets is no worse than it was before.

Depending upon how far back one goes of course..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Wow, that layout looks pretty good - might mosey on down there myself.....

Parking will be available under the old brewery at Tollbridge road, just down from the bookshop,

There will be a free minibus shuttle running between the bookshop and parking at Tollbridge studios and the show itself in Larkhall, about a mile distant.

There are happily still no residents parking schemes in operation in this part of Bath so parking on the streets is no worse than it was before.

Depending upon how far back one goes of course..

That's sorted then. 

Park car outside book shop. Resist temptation to 'pop in for a look'. Jump on charabanc, travel to train show. Enjoy train show, drink tea, eat cake, chat, eat more cake, drink more tea, chat,  make purchases. Tinkle. Chat, eat more cake, drink more tea, enjoy more of train show. Chat,  eat more cake, drink more tea, tinkle, final lap of traders to avoid the 'why didn't I buy that when I saw it at Larkrail' feeling. Chat, eat more cake, drink more tea, Tinkle. Last look at train show, final review of cake. Chat, last empty out. Back on charabanc. Dropped outside book shop, 'last look at bookshop, just in case'. Drive home thinking about tinkling and what you wished you'd bought. 

Grand day out. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

That's sorted then. 

Park car outside book shop. Resist temptation to 'pop in for a look'. Jump on charabanc, travel to train show.

Ah, Herstmonceaux de Charpentier, mon brave. So you have evidently changed les planes de vacances?

Bien suite venu de boissioniere.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Not that I would wish to suggest further work on anyone, but might it be an idea for Castens Cartography to produce an updated version? 😃

16 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Perhaps le Monsieur would agree to someone else reproducing the Castens Cartography plan of Yesteryear - https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/larkrail-redux.2001/page-2 - on this thread?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Perhaps le Monsieur would agree to someone else reproducing the Castens Cartography plan of Yesteryear 

Oh go on then, the shop and parking is up the A4 towards Chippenham, just above the Tollbridge to Bathampton.

Larkpark.jpg.14562b394fc017f3647b1e84fc5506a5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Ah, Herstmonceaux de Charpentier, mon brave. So you have evidently changed les planes de vacances?

Bien suite venu de boissioniere.

Absolument, mon capitaine. Le memsahib a ordonné que nous ayons une nouvelle cuisine à la place.

J'espère qu'il me restera assez pour un bâton de céleri. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Oh go on then, the shop and parking is up the A4 towards Chippenham, just above the Tollbridge to Bathampton.

monte-carlo-or-bust-005.jpg.7cedda6e8bfefa2f88678b8d9cfcee31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Update with suitable grazing 

B2A8B302-8118-4235-85CD-A38D06D83F97.jpeg.0a9cf00518b607c2155badbb2466f125.jpeg

and dragons . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Lovely, the 13 no longer exists bus wise, so just knock off the 1 and catch a no: 3 to Lambridge on London Road, timetable hereThe bus leaves from outside the Sainsbury's local in Southgate Shopping Center (opposite the bus station).

You can also catch a 6A from Grand Parade (not sure it serves the bus station on a Saturday?) opposite the Guildhall*, timetable here, and almost to the door in Larkhall Square.

Happy camping!

if you choose this method, I strongly advise seeking a roast vegetable pasty# from the Guildhall Deli.

# other varieties are available.

Edited by Tim Dubya
thingy about the GH deli
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Lovely, the 13 no longer exists bus wise, so just knock off the 1 and catch a no: 3 to Lambridge on London Road, timetable hereThe bus leaves from outside the Sainsbury's local in Southgate Shopping Center (opposite the bus station).

You can also catch a 6A from Grand Parade (not sure it serves the bus station on a Saturday) opposite the Guildhall*, timetable here, and almost to the door in Larkhall Square.

Happy camping!

if you choose this method, I strongly advise seeking a roast vegetable pasty# from the Guildhall Deli.

# other varieties are available.

All very sound advice. If the weather is nice, and the sun always shines on Larkrail, it is a very pleasnt stroll from the city centre to Larkhall on the K&A towpath - see map above.

Anway, continuing the theme of showcasing some of the attractions, Dave Spencer is bringing Woodside, his slice of the Forest of Dean

Jerry

1768218262_OverallWoodside.jpg.5c901438987f6925c0421a8c339609f3.jpg

IMG_20190709_140250.jpg.6bdbb76cb9bcdfa92d77cc11738af53d.jpg

IMG_20191030_164855.jpg.f049574b980cc87e60924322d046fca4.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

As usual we have lots of large scale stuff at Larkrail which Simon will showcase with some pics but it will come as no surprise that, with my involvment, there is also some 2mm. We are incredibly fortunate to be able to premier the first ever showing of not one but two very different but equally innovative projects as works in progress. We have the first public outing for Pete Kirmond's remarkable 'York under the roof, (pictures to follow), and a working gravity operated incline  from the fertile minds of Rice and Simpson. This latter I realise is a bonkers idea in 2FS but Ive seen it working in moving pictures via the medium of Zoom and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Mick has sent me a couple of snaps and some brief notes.

P1090739a.jpg.33c717d4e3b1dd2d159f1e8fcc28de9c.jpg

P1090742a.jpg.e4eae1dc3bddb66fe10e5a422a736eb8.jpg

Pit Hill is the result of a collaboration between Iain Rice and Mick Simpson in the scale of 2FS.

This is an attempt to reproduce in miniature the self-acting or gravity operated railways that were used to transport coal in County Durham in the 20th century, this model principally takes inspiration from the Bowes Railway system that existed just south of the Tyne in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. On it, coal was transported from the Sunniside Marley Hill Colliery and delivered to staithes on the Tyne at Jarrow via engine driven inclines at Birklands Lane, Sunniside then Kibblesworth and Blackhams Hill followed by a descent to the River Tyne using the self-acting incline at Springwell. It is not a model of any specific part of the system but seeks to portray the workings by being loosely based on the Springwell section and aims to be representative of the innovative way coal often found its way from colliery to staithes in this part of Northeast England. 

Steel rope hauled railways were commonplace in County Durham and took a couple of forms; steam or electric stationary winding engines hauled empty wagons up and let full ones down the inclines as the coal made its way from colliery to coast, also self-acting, or reciprocal, inclines where loaded wagons were lowered down and the finely balanced weight of these going down had sufficient power to haul the returning empty wagons up the incline.

To reproduce this in 2mm scale presents several challenges relative to the light weight of 2mm scale wagons, replication of the performance properties of the two-and-a-half-inch diameter steel cable and the means by which the cable should be powered. 

The project is very much a 'work in progress', still at a relatively early stage, with some of the mechanical issues already solved. We hope to have the incline operating with a reciprocal movement of vehicles so do stop by and see how we're doing. We will be delighted to see anyone with an interest in coal carrying railways. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

I was fortunate to see Pete Kirmonds model of York in its early, mock up stage and was hugely impressed by the impact. The idea is that the overall roof is effectively peeled open on the entrance side allowing the viewer to peer in. The concept is innovative, the visual impact simply stunning and Larkrail will be the first time the model will have been seen in public, as a work in progress, before its full debut at the York show next Easter.

Jerry.

2.jpg.44d90b66a001d3adb01dcfd48b28c24a.jpg

3.jpg.e93b7e23d446b9ab5e6e64021d7d56bb.jpg

1.jpg.dc32bb023116c35a32980c0e69445c12.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow, those two small scale projects are really something, I am really look forward to seeing them both.

At the other end of the model railway scales, we will have Steve Harrod and Andrew Vines at the show, demonstrating and showing their latest projects in the form of two of Fred Phipps' fabulous kits for the "Heavy Warships". Steve's "Active" in weathered green and Andrew's "Bulldog" in ex works blue, complete with monstrous head code boxes{!)

Last night I had the huge pleasure of a visit to Rob Mabbbett's Elmbridge stabling point, where I found Active and Bulldog looking utterly Magnificent...

IMG_2103.jpg.c837195a7a237f006bac79cec73d1ad4.jpg

Come and see them both on the 23rd, we will also have Dave Easto and Steve Cook at the show with other examples of larger scale railway modelling.

Simon

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The show will also be graced with the presence of Alan Buttler and his brilliant Modelu business. I am very much looking forward to catching up with Alan, here is the last time we met up - at Jerry's excellent Warminster show in the summer of 2019.

62303632_10157481696456757_7669437759467028480_n.jpg.a1821633db8edc2162d47d3b0e3983d8.jpg

Alan doesn't know it yet, but Steve Harrod and I have come up with a great new product for his range(!) We intend to bring this historic artefact and get it scanned for posterity, I certainly want a couple for my new garden line....

IMG_2119.jpg.d35a7265bd40a99c2a70735ab4d10d7c.jpg

I'll give you a clue - they go on poles and this one came from Newton Abbott...

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
rang range
  • Like 6