Heljan 10800 for OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

This is the green-liveried 10800 with early crest which Heljan have not announced.  In  - it seems - the mistaken belief that the loco remained In black until 1960

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2022 at 19:29, montyburns56 said:

Like others I'd never even heard of this loco until this morning, but I found some nice pics on Flickr.

North British Locomotive Company Glasgow (NBL) L977, British Railways (BR) 1080010800

Only just noticed this thread, a very welcome model I'm sure! In the bottom pic, 10800 is sat in the old no.3 bay at the north end of Rugby Midland station and the brick building in the background is part of the original Midland Counties station, where the line from Wigston ran in.

Quite what it's doing in the Leicester bays on milk tanks is worth further investigation perhaps, unless it's doing a shunt move to gain access to the Leamington line from no.5 and 6 bays (there was a milk siding at Dunchurch on the Leamington branch)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

On 04/06/2022 at 14:17, Rugd1022 said:

Only just noticed this thread, a very welcome model I'm sure! In the bottom pic, 10800 is sat in the old no.3 bay at the north end of Rugby Midland station and the brick building in the background is part of the original Midland Counties station, where the line from Wigston ran in.

Quite what it's doing in the Leicester bays on milk tanks is worth further investigation perhaps, unless it's doing a shunt move to gain access to the Leamington line from no.5 and 6 bays (there was a milk siding at Dunchurch on the Leamington branch)

I believe it worked a diagram from Birmingham to Rugby which sometimes went onto Peterborough. Perhaps it was sat in the bay with a portion of traffic to attach to the incoming Birmingham bound train, and would back up on it once the incoming loco was released maybe ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IMHO The original black/silver livery applied to pioneer diesels looked much smarter than the later rail blue

10800 and the Bulleid diesels were, for a period, regular visitors to Birmingham New St. where I caught a glimpse of the new order that was coming to train traction.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/06/2022 at 14:17, Rugd1022 said:

Or is that a weed-killing train? When I worked at IA there was a picture of 10800 on the Brighton line, on a 'Merrymaker-type' trip - an excuse, perhaps, for anyone who wants an excuse to have this model on an SR layout. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Or is that a weed-killing train? When I worked at IA there was a picture of 10800 on the Brighton line, on a 'Merrymaker-type' trip - an excuse, perhaps, for anyone who wants an excuse to have this model on an SR layout. (CJL)

Surely 10800 was allocated very early on; (from new?); to the SR?

There are plenty of photos of it operating on that region.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Surely 10800 was allocated very early on; (from new?); to the SR?

There are plenty of photos of it operating on that region.

CJI.

Norwood Jct.; 09/08/52 - 17/12/54.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2022 at 16:58, melmerby said:

IMHO The original black/silver livery applied to pioneer diesels looked much smarter than the later rail blue

10800 and the Bulleid diesels were, for a period, regular visitors to Birmingham New St. where I caught a glimpse of the new order that was coming to train traction.

I'm not a great fan of the fantasy liveries which are applied to a few of the new releases these days, but, 10800 in GS/FYE or banger blue, well, I might weaken!

Mike.

• 1 month later...

I have received an email from Rails with the artwork samples from Heljan for this loco.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/north-british-prototype-10800?mc_cid=8bb3df438b&mc_eid=3edd774e87

Looking at the images the final green livery appears to be a mixture of numbering/crest when the loco. was rebuilt as 'Hawk' on the earlier body style. My understanding is that the loco. ended it's BR days in unlined green with an early crest.

The model does look good, so I may decide on the later black livery.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45568 said:

I have received an email from Rails with the artwork samples from Heljan for this loco.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/north-british-prototype-10800?mc_cid=8bb3df438b&mc_eid=3edd774e87

Looking at the images the final green livery appears to be a mixture of numbering/crest when the loco. was rebuilt as 'Hawk' on the earlier body style. My understanding is that the loco. ended it's BR days in unlined green with an early crest.

The model does look good, so I may decide on the later black livery.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

As far as I can discover, you are correct and the 1950s version of 10800 that Heljan are making never wore Brunswick green with a late crest (though the late crest was worn by the more or less stationary 1960s Sherwood green test loco, and Brunswick green with an early crest from around 1957 to 1959).

I wrote to Heljan recently about the differences between their intended 1080 and 1082 models (both black with silver bogies), and in what year the prototype changed from one to the other. I received the following in reply:

"1080 is in mid-1950s condition with the original style vent/grille/ladder arrangement at the No2 end. 1082 has the additional grille/vent boxes and modified ladders at the No2 end. We are not producing a version in early 'as built' condition with the single row of vents  along the engine room doors."

Their reply was prompt and gratefully received, but neglected to answer the question as to which year the changes were made. Perhaps they don't know. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Downer said:

As far as I can discover, you are correct and the 1950s version of 10800 that Heljan are making never wore Brunswick green with a late crest (though the late crest was worn by the more or less stationary 1960s Sherwood green test loco, and Brunswick green with an early crest from around 1957 to 1959).

I wrote to Heljan recently about the differences between their intended 1080 and 1082 models (both black with silver bogies), and in what year the prototype changed from one to the other. I received the following in reply:

"1080 is in mid-1950s condition with the original style vent/grille/ladder arrangement at the No2 end. 1082 has the additional grille/vent boxes and modified ladders at the No2 end. We are not producing a version in early 'as built' condition with the single row of vents  along the engine room doors."

Their reply was prompt and gratefully received, but neglected to answer the question as to which year the changes were made. Perhaps they don't know. 

That makes it all the more confusing as I thought the two black/silver models were supposed to be pristine/weathered, whereas in the illustration the all black loco has the modified grille as per the green job! I still like the all-black version as it is shown, which presumably as it finished it's career before BR green?

We still need more clarification I think!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Downer said:

... the more or less stationary 1960s Sherwood green test loco .....

I can vouch for the fact that 10800 'HAWK' ventured down the Midland Mainline with a test train, at least once.

Many mystified schoolboys witnessed the fact that it stopped at Wigston Magna station, whilst the men in white coats scurried around.

I'd guess that the train was turned on the Wigston chord with the Nuneaton line, and headed back to Loughborough - but the school lunch break had finished by then!

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 06/08/2022 at 11:43, Downer said:

Indeed.

Yep, I've cancelled 3 times now, Hattons had 1083 in Br Green early crest, in two days it's since changed to late crest, now one of the Br black models states final BR livery. No idea what's going on. 🤷

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

New decorated samples up on Hatton’s website, including the possibly fictional brunswick green with late crest version.  If Heljan have any proof that this livery combination ever existed, I’d love to see it.  Meanwhile, the black weathered one I have on order looks great 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Downer said:

.... the possibly fictional brunswick green with late crest version.  If Heljan have any proof that this livery combination ever existed, I’d love to see it.

...... as delivered from Derby to Brush for conversion to 'Hawk'.

CJI.

Image credited to David Heys website. 

Surely this shows the Heljan model should in fact be BR Green with early crest(wouldn't have received the late crest until modified to Hawk). Easy enough to convert admittedly but would be strange to do a fictional livery.

IMG_20220923_204929.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Downer said:

Evidence?

451936058_10800_27(ASDELIVEREDTOBRUSH).jpg.27ea06a7f0f1dddb67b5fd7fe8d7fcfb.jpg

1957724063_10800_29HAWK.jpg.ed1f7d79fd90a2a0b546ca06f0d5e132.jpg

1720421391_10800_28HAWK.jpg.8f23dc3cd26e6ccb4a0ffbcfb7094948.jpg226152967_10800_30HAWK.jpg.8f8b1892bb411730571bb4989e679eb8.jpg1246345925_10800_31HAWK.jpg.b954fb1f7799c2c7ecba497373520f7a.jpg

These do?

John Isherwood.

PS. The latter photo leaves no doubt as to the shade of light green used on 10800 ('HAWK').

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

34 minutes ago, spackz said:

Image credited to David Heys website. 

Surely this shows the Heljan model should in fact be BR Green with early crest(wouldn't have received the late crest until modified to Hawk). Easy enough to convert admittedly but would be strange to do a fictional livery.

I'm seeing a poor color reproduction of a very weathered black locomotive.  Granted the bogies do look black, but if she had been repainted green with the early crest, I would expect her to look fresher.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1