Jump to content
Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb
 

Heljan 10800 for OO


AY Mod

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2023 at 08:58, cbeagleowner said:

I model the peak line and have a photo in the early 50’s at Peak Forest where the bogies are clearly silver bogies and one at Chinley North junction if memory serves which is less clear. Any help would be appreciated as I think I prefer black bogie frames! Or was that just when it ran on the SR?

It still had Silver Bogies when pootling around on the LMR in 1955, there are several pictures of it in Birmingham New St (Along with the similarly adorned Bulleid diesels)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/07/2023 at 00:07, MikeParkin65 said:

Reviewed in latest (September dated) copy of Hornby Mag

Saw that too. The article also says there is an exclusive video at keymodelworld.com but I cannot find it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MoonM said:

Saw that too. The article also says there is an exclusive video at keymodelworld.com but I cannot find it

Might not be out yet (i have a subscription) as magazine only on general sale from today.  And then may also be behind their premium users paywall unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Might not be out yet (i have a subscription) as magazine only on general sale from today.  And then may also be behind their premium users paywall unfortunately. 

Premium users? So even if I have an online subscription I don't get to see everything? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium

No mention in the Hornby Mag review of 10800 that the late crest green livery was almost certainly never carried by a self-propelled locomotive in traffic.  (Unless Heljan or anyone else has any actual evidence to the contrary)

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Is anyone actually offering a sound decoder for the 10800??

Interesting thought,

 

according to Paxman history only 3 16RPHXL power units were make, one for 10800 and 2 generator vans for Argentina.

several smaller 12RPHXL were made for overseas.

 

as a rebuilt 10800 wiki suggests a Maybach MD655 was used, in which case a Western with a single power unit running (or D7076 as it ran at Bury with D1041’s power unit for a short period).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

I wouldn't worry - it spent that long OOS it won't need any sound chip.

 

I realise that was light-hearted comment, but 10800 was considered to be a successful project.

 

Any longer out-of-service periods were due, I believe, to the fact that it was a unique subject with little or no off-the-shelf spares back-up. (See comments above re engine type).

 

CJI.

  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Aye - it was a light hearted tilt based on the available commentary ...............

 

https://sremg.org.uk/diesel/10800.shtml

 

I'm still having one though 👍 - keep it up Heljan - the "Hornbys" next please.

 

Certainly one view - I have read others over the years.

 

Whatever - a worthy subject for a model, and I enjoy running my Dave Alexander kit-built model.

 

CJI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

 

Certainly one view - I have read others over the years.

 

Whatever - a worthy subject for a model, and I enjoy running my Dave Alexander kit-built model.

 

CJI.

 

It's a bit more of a factual piece of her time on the Southern Region rather than just a view. It does not of however, due to the nature of the SREMG site, cover her subsequent time on the Eastern Region.
The Heljan model of course does not represent the condition she was in for the majority of her time on the Southern Region.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

 

Nor the worryingly similar Class 14 and 15's.

 

Mike.

 

Did you mean class 15 and 16's? Class 16 was even a product of North British, like 10800.

Even so, class 14 "Teddy Bears" had Paxman engines as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SRman said:

 

Did you mean class 15 and 16's? Class 16 was even a product of North British, like 10800.

Even so, class 14 "Teddy Bears" had Paxman engines as well.

 

Probably, this telephone number stuff goes over my head!

Although being a similar centre cab arrangement, the Paxman might have the same issues, mine is still in it's box from purchase when first released, so remains unexplored.

 

Mike.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Very interested in one of these, but don't pre-order Heljan anymore as I prefer to see what gets delivered.

 

Having just looked at the photos on Rails and Hattons, in some photos and it looks as if the beading at the bottom of the bonnet is missing on one side, but I am not 100% sure:

 

image.png.d03523c48e3b47c87f9c868152c43b60.png

Other side where clearly visible:

image.png.e83a2d1f12094c051bd479c3f4cf23ea.png

 

What do others think? It's apparent absence stood out for me straight away as it is quite a distinctive feature.

 

Roy 

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Very interested in one of these, but don't pre-order Heljan anymore as I prefer to see what gets delivered.

 

Having just looked at the photos on Rails and Hattons, in some photos and it looks as if the beading at the bottom of the bonnet is missing on one side, but I am not 100% sure:

 

image.png.d03523c48e3b47c87f9c868152c43b60.png

Other side where clearly visible:

image.png.e83a2d1f12094c051bd479c3f4cf23ea.png

 

What do others think? It's apparent absence stood out for me straight away as it is quite a distinctive feature.

 

Roy 

Well spotted.

It should be there.

 

image.png.876faccf57f62c93e25b2665532b1737.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Well spotted.

It should be there.

 

image.png.876faccf57f62c93e25b2665532b1737.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It will be something to be added once I've removed all the lower bonnet grills...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/08/2023 at 09:26, Graham_Muz said:

 

It will be something to be added once I've removed all the lower bonnet grills...

 

There are some better (i.e. larger) photos of the green version on the H***by Magazine Website (if I am allowed to mention that here). It is very curious - the beading stops just as it rounds the nose of the longer bonnet. Are the black ones the same, or has something happened in the alternative tooling for the 'late BR' version?

 

It is disappointing, but I hope that I will forgive my one when it arrives from Kernow. It is a rule 1 loco for me so only destined to be an occasional performer. 

 

Heljan don't seem to have had the best of luck recently with this sort of issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...