Heljan 10800 for OO

AY Mod

Quite by chance I have just come across a picture of 10800 in the January 1951 Trains Illustrated (p30). There is a short article about a demonstration run on 14/11/50. The picture, a 3/4 view from the long bonnet end, shows the beading very clearly, on the side where it is missing on the model. But I agree that in the flesh the absence of the beading is not particularly noticeable, unless you go looking for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

the absence of the beading is not particularly noticeable, unless you go looking for it.

But that is the point about so many threads like this. It is clear that for a number of people, the value of the model as a part of their operating railway is insignificant when compared to the ghastly revelation of such a flaw, which spoils the whole thing and inhibits purchase. They know their priorities....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But that is the point about so many threads like this. It is clear that for a number of people, the value of the model as a part of their operating railway is insignificant when compared to the ghastly revelation of such a flaw, which spoils the whole thing and inhibits purchase. They know their priorities....

Why does 'Get a life' spring to mind?!?

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think the opposite is true for many people (if those I know that have bought models like this one, the Fell etc etc are in any way typical)! They’d prefer to have the unusual loco and are willing to overlook the occasional minor faux pas (if indeed they even are aware of it) whether it be the missing beading on this loco or missing rivets etc etc. 

This model really looks the part and I for one am not expert enough to have noticed missing flange pins and the like. I certainly wouldn’t have from viewing distance on a layout. I thought whilst watching the Accurascale, Hornby and Cavalex models on the Making Tracks 3 layout - these models, in many cases are beautifully detailed but at viewing distance unless I’d been told, I couldn’t have said whether the 37s were Accurascale - in fact even side by side it is hard to tell these days.

Thats not to say I don’t welcome the levels of accuracy achieved these days, in, just as an example, say a Cavalex 56 - there are loads more! However there is still a place for the 10800 in the market, despite the unfortunate error noted by several in this thread. 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Some decades back, I recall a reader wrote to the Grauniad's 'Notes & Queries' column asking "How do I 'get a life'?" 

The next day, a reader had responded with "Stop writing to national newspapers!" 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

For the avoidance of doubt, this anecdote is not aimed at anyone on here.

Some years back a former colleague suggested to someone that they got a life, with the request that they grab one up for him at the same time. 

That said, I know several people who "have a life", and from what I've seen, I think I'm better off aspiring to an existence.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2023 at 09:29, stewartingram said:

I am very pleased with mine.

As for the missing beading, I think that is wrong. To me it looks like wiring conduit for the marker lights, so would only be run where necessary, not all round the loco.

Photos do show the beading to the right hand side of the locomotive where it is missing on the model.  Never fear though as I reckon it can be replicated with a thin strip of yellow Tamiya tape sealed in with Klear and some matt black enamel.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

I first raised the beading, and I already have a life (thank you for the insult).

To be honest, Heljan frustrate me as they keep making minor but easily identified errors that spoil the overall look of the model. That beading helps hide the join from body to chassis, but only where present. Looking at the non-beaded side, the gap is far more evident. 

Now, I could have just ignored it and brushed the issue under the carpet, but how does that benefit Heljan who I hope are now saying to themselves how did we miss that and how donwe avoid doing it again. 

You have raised similar concerns in other threads from other manufacturers, so why is this one different?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, figworthy said:

That said, I know several people who "have a life", and from what I've seen, I think I'm better off aspiring to an existence.

I live in Somerset and work on the DLR ................ "existence" is all I can aspire to at the mo. 🤣

and buying Heljan one-off prototype models on the train journey ...............................................

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I first raised the beading, and I already have a life (thank you for the insult).

To be honest, Heljan frustrate me as they keep making minor but easily identified errors that spoil the overall look of the model. That beading helps hide the join from body to chassis, but only where present. Looking at the non-beaded side, the gap is far more evident. 

Now, I could have just ignored it and brushed the issue under the carpet, but how does that benefit Heljan who I hope are now saying to themselves how did we miss that and how donwe avoid doing it again. 

You have raised similar concerns in other threads from other manufacturers, so why is this one different?

Roy

A perfectly reasonable comment re the beading, but I felt that the suggestion - not necessarily from you, I can't recall - that the absence of the beading might be a deal-breaker was an over-reaction.

Whatever - it was a light-hearted comment, nothing more.

CJI.

• Agree 1

How's this for a somewhat odd combination? Soon after the EFE LSWR set of coaches arrived, Heljan's 10800 arrived, so I needed to test run it after a running in session on the rolling road. Rather than remove the coaches from the track, I simply hitched them onto 10800. I have to say that in spite if the combination having a 40 year disparity in liveries and types, it actually looks "right".

I have tried several decoders from Zimo, ESU, Lenz and TCS, and none of them will operate the top light at the short hood end (on any function key, not just the suggested F5), so I suspect there is a fault with my model - either a dead connection or faulty LED. Still, I'm not too worried about it as I will be fitting discs and the extra lamp irons for SR use.

The layout was not powered up for this photo, so no lights anyway. Ignore the petrol tanker on the grass - that is awaiting the return of the bit of scenery it should be sitting on in that bare area on the left.

20230915_153806.jpg.b251e28f8cd50b00433a262716ed5489.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just fitted a Roads and Rails ESU sound decoder to my 10800 and the top light doesn’t work with that either.  

The bodyshell is a tight fit and on re-fitting, getting all the wire handrails back into the little holes in the chassis was a nightmare.

To whichever Heljan designer came up with that idea - I’m reaching for the cattle prod right now…

Stupid bodyshell removal requirements do seem to be a Heljan speciality.  The exact opposite end of the spectrum to Accurascale - who actually employ intelligent designers.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Stupid bodyshell removal requirements do seem to be a Heljan speciality.  The exact opposite end of the spectrum to Accurascale - who actually employ intelligent designers.

Cheers

Darius

Whilst I am not against the Accurascale way of doing things, I am not against having a small number of well placed screws securing the body. 

As for Heljan, I have lost count of the times I have sworn about removing class 17 bodies, and my 58s were a PITA, so you are right there. Oh and I nearly forgot the Class 15…

Roy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/09/2023 at 16:41, Darius43 said:

Just fitted a Roads and Rails ESU sound decoder to my 10800 and the top light doesn’t work with that either.  

The bodyshell is a tight fit and on re-fitting, getting all the wire handrails back into the little holes in the chassis was a nightmare.

To whichever Heljan designer came up with that idea - I’m reaching for the cattle prod right now…

Cheers

Darius

The top light on the long nose end is wired to AUX2 so you need a decoder that has AUX3 capability (see below).

Also the top light on the short nose is wired to AUX3 BUT it only works when moving (this is not a decoder programming issue but a wiring issue as far as I can tell) and in the wrong direction so it comes on when moving in the forward with the long nose leading on the short nose end.

Explain that one!!!!

Also AUX1 works the cab light.

Confused.

Wiggy.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 16/09/2023 at 19:24, wiggy1 said:

The top light on the long nose end is wired to AUX2 so you need a decoder that has AUX3 capability (see below).

Also the top light on the short nose is wired to AUX3 BUT it only works when moving (this is not a decoder programming issue but a wiring issue as far as I can tell) and in the wrong direction so it comes on when moving in the forward with the long nose leading on the short nose end.

Explain that one!!!!

Also AUX1 works the cab light.

Confused.

Wiggy.

Running mine on DC only have the same lighting issue with the top light on

the cab end showing when running the opposite direction as there should

be no tail lights also there is in the cab  a strange bluish white light.

On 17/09/2023 at 03:13, Halvarras said:

They'll be aware of it if they're on RMweb! 😁

Absolutely - and though difficult for us forum members to countenance, there’s quite a proportion of railway modellers who seemingly don’t frequent internet forums (fora??!!) 😄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...