Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Since Hatton's are dealing with the factory directly, it wouldn't surprise me if they've agreed an overall number of locos, but can adjust the numbers of each one depending on the pre-orders. So the more popular ones will see more produced.

Its something I have wondered about, and don't think we will ever get an answer to the quantities made.  In comparison-Hornby will do runs as low as 250 (used to be 1000), Bachmann 504 or 512 and ViTrains did as low as 150 and Olivias had 2000 Class 58's split over 8 locos.

There are a few "base" liveries - EWS, FL, F/L Powerhaul, DRS Compass, DRS plain, GBRF, GBRF Europorte, GBRF Barbie, Colas, etc. and then after that its just setting up tampo printing to make each loco's finer detail.

Effectively, there may be say 1000 EWS models (not bringing wing/no wing mirrors into equation!), split over the range to do the EWS & EWS DB's.  After that its then differences with tampo printing for each model.

Like I say I don't think we will ever know the exact amount of each model produced.

Best Regards,

C.

Something that I have not seen addressed yet. For those with the Bachmann motors, how well will they play with the Hatton's version? ...

That's an aspect for the designer to keep in mind. What is striking about the centre motored twin bogie units in RTR OO is how similar they are in general spec and resulting satisfactory performance on track. A little care in matching the motor characteristic with a gear ratio yielding 10--20% excess over scale maximum speed* should do the job.

*Something of a horses for courses job. I have by no means sampled all that is on sale, so my observation is restricted to three makers: Heljan are often a little shy on scale maximum speed - 'just about' or a few mph under, Bachmann go about 15% over scale speed, and Hornby circa 2x scale speed.

As already observed in post 254 above, not least of DCC's beneficial features is a speed matching capability, something I make much use of. If there is access to a DCC programming facility to achieve the set up, a decoder can perform a speed trimming function on a DC operated layout.

How fickle we all are (and well off by the sounds of it). It was only a few weeks ago that Bachmann's 66779 was selling out but now their version needs to be off loaded with great haste according to some? 

For the tape, 'Chard confirms that he hasn't any Class 66s of any description to offload - or retain.

• RMweb Premium

That's an aspect for the designer to keep in mind. What is striking about the centre motored twin bogie units in RTR OO is how similar they are in general spec and resulting satisfactory performance on track. A little care in matching the motor characteristic with a gear ratio yielding 10--20% excess over scale maximum speed* should do the job.

Something I forgot to note in my post. When I took the Bachmann box out of the bag, my friend said "Bachmann? That thing just might make it around the layout if you are lucky." Well, it "made it around the layout" many times and its overall performance was quite good. I would rate it a little better than Athearn and little less than Atlas based on running light. I was not able to haul a cut of cars as I had no coupler adapter car but based on my observations, it would have done an admirable job. Note that the MK1 was going to be a dynamometer car with a KD on one end. As it turned out I somehow got another MK1 car and liked them so much that I decided to get a MK1 train together. The order would have been: motor, baggage,SLF,SLF,RU,RMB, SO,SO,SO

Happens quite a bit either side of weekend engineering work with positioning locos for trains. Anyhoo if you run dcc you can speed match then using the decoder and once one is done it should only require minor tweaks to allow for motor variations.

Are they actually in multiple though or one dead ? Same as top and tail ?

The only example I can think of for real multiple was using two on some of the South Wales oil stuff to try and do away with a 60

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Following on from the original announcement, we have produced a 3D print to give people a better idea of how the finished models will look.

The sample allows us to check that the CAD files we've created are correct, that all dimensions are right and that all necessary detailing parts are included - once all of our checks are complete, alterations to the CAD are made and then a first engineering prototype is produced.

As you can see from the 3D print, there is a staggering level of detail on the model, with all manner of underframe, bogie and body detail on show.

You can also see minute details such as the perforated grilles, which on the final model will enable you to see a representation of the equipment behind them.

post-28458-0-80732000-1526640027_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-59085100-1526640060_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-26886300-1526640065_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-40796400-1526640070_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-12370600-1526640077_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-06259000-1526640083_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-89328100-1526640088_thumb.jpg

As always, we welcome any and all comments. We hope you're excited about the thus far and we'll be sharing more updates in the future as the project progress.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Will the model have opening cab doors, like the forthcoming Dapol class 59?
The 66s are often seen with a door open, so it would be nice to model this.

The models will not feature opening cab doors.

Hattons Dave, 

Please could you clarify something?

On the first page where the 66s were announced, in the first table item H4-66-005 is 66040 in EWS livery but on the second table the same item is 66088 in EWS livery with DB branding. 

So are you producing 040 or 088? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Thanks for spotting that. We had previously changed to 66088 but this hadn't been updated everywhere. I can confirm that 66088 will be the version produced for H4-66-005 and I have updated the initial list to reflect this.

I hope it's okay to provide some feedback regarding the CAD images... 

...in that it might be worth mentioning that there are two distinctly different types of sandbox in use on the Class 66, as built:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonf45sphotos/26788417789

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/15787091701/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/offroadanonymous/16093913841/

It is a little difficult to tell for sure from the angle of the CAD images, however it would appear from comparing the sandboxes on the low-emission and standard variants that all sandboxes are showing identical?  As far as I am aware, examples from 66752 onwards were built with the larger style sandbox, whereas examples prior to 66752 (whether they were low-emission or standard) were all built with the original style sandbox (as I think are pictured in the CADs).

Maybe someone could clarify if examples from 66752 will be produced with the later style sandboxes?

cheers

Al

I can confirm we have tooled up for differences that are present on the American built versions (66752 onwards) which includes: different sandboxes, different cab vent placement, cab seam behind front handrail and additional front handrail support.

post-28458-0-40520600-1526642299_thumb.png

I have also updated the detail matrix on the first page to correctly reflect this as well.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

The detail on that looks exquisite. Nice to see a good range of variations.

It's only a small detail, but there's only a handful of the 4 door "high emission" locos with the wider rain strip over the doors (the last few original style built for Freightliner, 66578 to 66581, now with GB as 66738 to 66741). The vast majority it ends closer to the handrails. All the 5 door low emission locos have this larger rain strip. A small detail perhaps, but if the two styles of body are separate toolings it may be worth looking at

Also, all low emission locos except 951 and 952 should have the handrail strengthener shown on the US built GB CAD you've just posted

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Thanks for spotting that. We had previously changed to 66088 but this hadn't been updated everywhere. I can confirm that 66088 will be the version produced for H4-66-005 and I have updated the initial list to reflect this.

I can confirm we have tooled up for differences that are present on the American built versions (66752 onwards) which includes: different sandboxes, different cab vent placement, cab seam behind front handrail and additional front handrail support.

attachicon.gif66_AmericanBuilt_CAD.png

I have also updated the detail matrix on the first page to correctly reflect this as well.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you very much for confirming this Dave. 

Brilliant attention to detail on the 3D prints. Very much looking forward to buying some of these. 

I look forward to seeing further updates. 

• RMweb Premium

Any update on who's sound files will be used ?

hopefully they look also into Zimo. I love the performance of the MX644 together with the soundfiles from Youchoose and the immersive drive.

hopefully they look also into Zimo. I love the performance of the MX644 together with the soundfiles from Youchoose and the immersive drive.

Perhaps Hatton's could run a poll for the various sound options ?

If they chose zimo I wouldn’t be ordering any sound versions, too complicated for my liking

The latest Zimo ActiveDrive etc files are very rewarding to use and as easy or complicated in use as you want to make them.

As you drive the real thing you'd manage fine....

Edited by tractor_37260

attachicon.gif66_AmericanBuilt_CAD.png

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for confirming.  Highly impressive!  Even I can't argue with that and that's saying something!  :mosking:

It's also really pleasing that the front end valance is designed with a slot for the couplings - if anything that was one of the most annoying design niggles with the Bachmann model, as in my opinion a 66 without the valance simply doesn't look like a 66. 

Other irritations with the Bachmann model were crudely-moulded rainstrips above the cab doors - they literally look like blobs, whereas in reality they are very sharp steel edges.  I must say that your 3D mock-up looks much sharper in this respect so I trust the finished model will be even more refined.  Similarly, I have never been truly convinced that the corrugated sides were quite right on the Bachy model, again to my eye they simply never appear to have quite the right definition.

Really looking forward to seeing the grilles too, as again one of the key features of the prototype is being able to literally see right through the bulk of the main body...  http://www.wellsgreen-tmd.co.uk/images/0-0-0-0-0adidcot10.JPG

The 3D mock-up looks fantastic. Really looking forward to further updates.  Awesome stuff.   :)

Edited by YesTor

Hi all,

66_AmericanBuilt_CAD.png

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

I notice that 66750 and 751 don't have curved edged buffers. Not sure if there are any more. I saw the proto tonight and checked a couple either way.

• RMweb Gold

I notice that 66750 and 751 don't have curved edged buffers. Not sure if there are any more. I saw the proto tonight and checked a couple either way.

66747/8/9 - these 3 came over from Holland a few years back.

750/1 were from Germany.

Really hoping Hattons release blue Freightliner 66623. This having the Freightliner branding rather than the Bardon Aggregates on the sides.

I'd possibly go for one of those, although personally I would prefer the original with the Bardon Aggregates branding.  Who know, perhaps both would be a possibility...

Edited by YesTor

I am very surprised no one (apologies if it) has mentioned 66779 'Evening Star'. Personally I feel it is far more significant model than 66789, as it is the last 66 ever built. I know Bachmann has released it recently, yet this is now out of stock. Certainly would be a popular livery choice, if Hattons were to release a few more surprises. 

• RMweb Premium

I’m sure over the life of this model, various liveries will be produced . I congratulate Hattons on giving us the choices they already have, but there must be a limit to the initial offering . It’s great someone has decided to model what must be the most relevant modern image model to a high degree of accuracy and bring it in at less than the existing model from a competitor.

• RMweb Gold

I am very surprised no one (apologies if it) has mentioned 66779 'Evening Star'. Personally I feel it is far more significant model than 66789, as it is the last 66 ever built. I know Bachmann has released it recently, yet this is now out of stock. Certainly would be a popular livery choice, if Hattons were to release a few more surprises. 

But we don't know what, if any, excusive agreements have been reached between Bachmann and GBRf do we? Whilst we may wish for many liveries, it may be that some may never be possible.

Roy