Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

If you look at that photo Robert linked to of the MkIII and look in close you can see the same pattern as that in the video but a little more faded.  The trim pattern was changed slightly over the early years - I'm sure I've got notes of it...

post-6691-0-17064700-1516404583_thumb.png

The original loose seat covers were awful - anyone remember what a stained seat squab looked like after a day on the Anglo-Scot's? Now was it spilt coffee - or something else - a few hundred miles "seat" wear on a hot day didn't do them any good - and a day with the squaddies on leave inevitably meant a lot of cleaning up after.  There were a lot of the cleaners spent hours stripping them from the cushions/backs/headrests to have them dry cleaned on the depot an put back on.  It became such a nightmare as the covers were either becoming faded or were being ruined quicker than they could be supplied and replaced from the stores and the costs were getting quite out of hand.  Derby couldn't keep the depots supplied with enough whilst still producing for the new build Mk3 & 3a's. There were a few tries with different quality material but it wasn't till they were refurbed with an almost moquette weight cloth in a one piece back and headrest that they got much better.

​As I said, somewhere I've got notes of all the issues with the IC70 seat trim from the service problems working group but it'll take me long enough to find them (if anyone's interested that is)...

If you look at that photo Robert linked to of the MkIII and look in close you can see the same pattern as that in the video but a little more faded.  The trim pattern was changed slightly over the early years - I'm sure I've got notes of it...

attachicon.gifIC70_1.PNG

The original loose seat covers were awful - anyone remember what a stained seat squab looked like after a day on the Anglo-Scot's? Now was it spilt coffee - or something else - a few hundred miles "seat" wear on a hot day didn't do them any good - and a day with the squaddies on leave inevitably meant a lot of cleaning up after.  There were a lot of the cleaners spent hours stripping them from the cushions/backs/headrests to have them dry cleaned on the depot an put back on.  It became such a nightmare as the covers were either becoming faded or were being ruined quicker than they could be supplied and replaced from the stores and the costs were getting quite out of hand.  Derby couldn't keep the depots supplied with enough whilst still producing for the new build Mk3 & 3a's. There were a few tries with different quality material but it wasn't till they were refurbed with an almost moquette weight cloth in a one piece back and headrest that they got much better.

​As I said, somewhere I've got notes of all the issues with the IC70 seat trim from the service problems working group but it'll take me long enough to find them (if anyone's interested that is)...

I don't recall them being different but could it be that the earlier style was replaced with the later one in Mark 2f stock as the covers were loose and could be changed easily?

They definitely had at times, putting age and fading aside, a much less pronounced brown stripe - this may well though have been a result of different batches / suppliers of what was ostensibly the same material.  Until the sector refurbishment the IC70 seats always had loose covers on the three parts and were not changed in sets.

You are right. The seat backs/shell is brown GRP not white/cream as on the Mk3.

Mk2f interior shot about 5 mins into this..

Screen shots for anyone that does not want to watch

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-19 at 22.33.47.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-19 at 22.34.53.png

i still remember the Liverpool lass serving Palin his MaxPax.......she was strangely very attractive.

The samples seen so far and illustrated in the catalogue are all hand painted though, there haven't been any factory finished models shown as yet.

Bachmann 2018 catalogue pages 116 and 117 show the coaches with unpainted seating sadly. No mention these were hand painted, they may well be but it does not state this. We will have to wait and see what is released....

• 1 month later...

Looks like DCC versions will be around £20 more than non DCC versions.

A bit frustrated as a non DCC modeller with no intentions of going DCC that I am going to have to pay an extra £20 for each of the the two (DCC) DBSOs I was planning to buy to replace my conversions I did years ago.  I don't assume there will be a market for chips removed from DBSOs.  I appreciate it may not that straightforward as the non DCC version would have hopefully had working lights like a non DCC loco, mind you this was achieved years ago with dummy HST power cars.  This may be the reason why Bachmann have opted for the approach they have taken.  Nevertheless would have much preferred to have the option for a slightly cheaper non DCC version.

It will almost be like a buy 2 get one free deal in reverse for me, buy 2 DCC versions for (almost) the price of 3 non DCC coaches.

Spoke to Bachmann yesterday at Glasgow, can't recall the exact response to my query about having to pay extra for a dcc version I did not want, but it was along the lines of that's just the away it is.

Anyway September seemingly for the DBSOs, I assume that is September 2018, perhaps I should have checked!

Spoke to Bachmann yesterday at Glasgow, can't recall the exact response to my query about having to pay extra for a dcc version I did not want, but it was along the lines of that's just the away it is.

Anyway September seemingly for the DBSOs, I assume that is September 2018, perhaps I should have checked!

I thought the sample painted DBSO's/MK2F's looked very impressive, as for the the prices, unfortunately we will just just have to pay them...........lets hope they finally arrive this year, if not they could be subject to another increase early next year ? 

I thought the sample painted DBSO's/MK2F's looked very impressive, as for the the prices, unfortunately we will just just have to pay them...........lets hope they finally arrive this year, if not they could be subject to another increase early next year ?

Absolutely, should have said the DBSO looked stunning, even had a caged area in the brake end. A cracking model by the looks of things. Apologies for not taking a photo or two. Edited by Waverley47708

Absolutely, should have said the DBSO looked stunning, even had a caged area in the brake end. A cracking model by the looks of things. Apologies for not taking a photo or two.

yep!!!! its going to be an expensive month when those beauties appear!!!

• RMweb Premium

I’m not sure you will be able to remove the chip, maybe someone could clarify. I think the DCC capability is wired into the circuit board but will work on dc . Note I’m only talking about the DBSO which only comes with DCC. The others in the range have option of DCC fitted and normal analogue.

My issue is not just that I’m DC but also that I run HF track cleaners , so I don’t think these are at all compatible with my set up. I’m not going to change the set up that does drastically reduce cleaning and is fine for all my other models just to run this coach so I’m hoping that release will cause a flurry of DBSO conversions to turn up second hand. I’ll hopefully pick up one of them.

Those really do look nice.

I am surprised there was only a driver's door on the driver's side of the vehicle, so did a bit of browsing.

Here is a nice piccie of 9702 with one of the pressure vent cars behind it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnoram/8398838740

EDIT

It looks like the whole rake apart from 9702 is pressurevents !!!

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

Those really do look nice.

I am surprised there was only a driver's door on the driver's side of the vehicle, so did a bit of browsing.

Here is a nice piccie of 9702 with one of the pressure vent cars behind it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnoram/8398838740

EDIT

It looks like the whole rake apart from 9702 is pressurevents !!!

Wasn't there a second set of DBSO conversations that ran with early Mark 2 stock on Glasgow-Aberdeen trains?

They ran with those ex-E&G's Mk2's only for short while but also in combination with other Mk2's all the way up to 2f of various types (Graham "Flood" can explain it chapter and verse better than I can). As far as the DBSO's Robert, 9711-13 were added for the Glasgow/Aberdeen's six years after the first batch plus the last 9714 built to replace 9706. 9711-13 can be distinguished by their tread and not the disc brakes / WSP of the original 10 + 9714 that are being produced by Bachmann....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The blue and grey one should not have the cow catcher. They were all in ScotRail when it was fitted.

I believe it's a user-fitted item, so it should be very easy not to fit it to the B&G version  :jester:

• Like 1

Got me interested what dubscottie posted, as Butler Henderson says above, they were fitted as a direct recommendation following Polmont. So I've had a look around to see if any were fitted whilst the DBSO's were in blue/grey, and I haven't found any.

If anyone can find a photo of one in Blue/grey, with plough fitted, post it up as a lot of the ScotRail stock was being actively repainted in 1985 into blue stripe - even if it was a short period, it would be interesting to see.

cheers

Andy

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any in Blue & Grey with the obstacle deflector fitted.  If I'm not mistaken we didn't get the design from Derby and the first one done until February 1985 by which time they were in full flow with the ScotRail repaints.  I can't remember the first dates for repainting the sets into ScotRail livery however certainly by October 1984 there were a couple of the repainted DBSO's without the obstacle deflector fitted.  Both sets involved with the Polmont derailment were entirely blue & grey in July 1984 and I'm certain the first vehicles were repainted into ScotRail not long after.  Either way it's to be a user fit part as far as I believe.

I'd question the date of that photo that shows a DBSO in March 1984 in ScotRail livery - seems a tad early.  Is it maybe March 1985? [Edit to Add ; the DM&EE didn't issue the livery diagram / paint schedule till 10/84]

Edited by Bob Reid

I’m pretty sure that one day when I travelled to Edinburgh in September 1984, the train was in the new livery. I remember being quite surprised by it as this was during the period where I wasn’t following Railways. I took a bit of a sabbatical in the 82-6 period to concentrate on beer and loose women...

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure that one day when I travelled to Edinburgh in September 1984, the train was in the new livery. I remember being quite surprised by it as this was during the period where I wasn’t following Railways. I took a bit of a sabbatical in the 82-6 period to concentrate on beer and loose women...

Could be you were spot on Dave - I found the picture (not mine to publish) of one of the two Mk3a TSO's in the works for Chris Green's livery "experiments" and dated 2 September 1984 - it's shown during ETH & flash testing so it couldn't have been far off release. After he viewed them with the Scottish Region Board members at Queen Street the vehicles were outshopped in ScotRail livery from then on.