Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly those are excellent photo illustrating the colours of windows and doors etc, in the first set of photos. Thank you for posting them here. They also show the green and blue liveries of the trains so well. Instant nostalgia.

The photos of the GEML are just as good. In the last one the unit is indentifiable as a hybrid set. From the roof vents, and the toilet water filler pipe, it is possible to say that the first car is a class 105 Cravens, DTCL, with the Gloucester class 100 DMBS at the rear.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I've just posted a few photos in a thread about North Eastern Region building colours so I thought I'd put them here as well.  I think a couple of them may have already appeared here, I hope no one minds a repeat.

Today's "proper" photos will follow later.

attachicon.gifStarbeck July 67 J972.jpg

Starbeck July 67 J972

attachicon.gifSnaith Class 37 D6740 eastbound Aug 67 J1076.jpg

Snaith Class 37 D6740 eastbound Aug 67 J1076

attachicon.gifRiccall South Clas 101 Selby to York Sept 67 J1112.jpg

Riccall South Class 101 Selby to York Sept 67 J1112

attachicon.gifPannal Class 101 Harrogate to Liverpol Lime St Sept 67 J1109.jpg

Pannal Class 101 Harrogate to Liverpol Lime St Sept 67 J1109

attachicon.gifCattal Oct 67 J1172.jpg

Cattal Oct 67 J1172

David

Now you're talking David - many's the time I walked down Station Road at Riccall (that's it disappearing into the distance beyond the level crossing) and Riccall South was the first signalbox in which I pulled a signal lever - or rather tried to pull a signal lever, the Down Distant which at that time was still an NER slotted post signal, and 10 years before that photo was taken.

I also vaguely knew Cattal as my great aunt lived not far away in Hunsingore but I never saw Cattal station apart from passing through enroute from York to Knaresborough or Harrogate.

• Like 1

J1076, The MR signal box looks so so wrong in NER Blue and White, I would go as far as saying even worse than ER Green and Cream. As for WR Brown and Cream. :no: :no: :no: :no:

We all know MR boxes should be Maroon and Cream in BR days.

A rule 1 signal box

kev

J1076, The MR signal box looks so so wrong in NER Blue and White, I would go as far as saying even worse than ER Green and Cream. As for WR Brown and Cream. :no: :no: :no: :no:

The only problem with that is that Snaith West is on the L&Y line.

I agree however that it looks like a Midland box.

Found an old photo from 1950 (Francis Frith collection), and it's the same box.

Any explanation anyone?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

The Mk2b stock in C3206 appears to have frames fitted to their sides, presumably for destination boards to be inserted. I know this was done during 1969-71 on the WR and LMR in particular, but I don't recall seeing any use made of them on ER in the mid to late 1970s.

The cl37 in C3350 is a centre headcode type which were unusual on GE passenger trains, because their roof mounted horns prevented them from using certain tunnels near Liverpool St. I guess this one could be an inter-regional service however.

Edited by stovepipe

As Kev says, it's their train set and they can paint whatever colour they like.

Any explanation anyone?

Kevin

It is (was?) a Midland box. AFAIK it was a transplant job to replace a dead one.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of the GCR between Nottingham and Loughborough. In J174, it is so sad to see the condition that Royal Scot, 46156, The South Wales Borderer, had been allowed to deteriorate into. I suppose it makes a good project for weathering a model, but it, and all the other steam loco's at that time, should have been looked after better.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Any explanation anyone?

Kevin

Hi Kevin

It is a Midland design of box, a type 4d. It is quite possible it is a LMS built replacement box, the lever frame being in the back of the box was a LMS feature. The LMS carried on using MR type 4 for the Midland division and LNWR type 5 boxes for the Western and Central Divisions. Some MR design boxes ended up on the Western and Central divisions and some LNWR boxes on the Midland.

• RMweb Gold

J1589.

Looking north I believe Dave, taken from the A52 road bridge, just to clarify, no slur intended!!

Mike.

Mike,

Yes it is the view looking north.  I don't think it was the A52 bridge, I think there was  minor road bridge just there at the time.

Edit, it was from the bridge on the B680, or thereabouts, just to the north of the A52 bridge.   In 1969 the roads in the area were very different - the last time I went back to visit relatives I got very lost.

Thanks for pointing it out for those who don't know the area.

David

Edited by DaveF

Any explanation anyone?

Kevin

Parts of regions changed borders/Administration. Some Leeds/Bradford area locosheds being "victims". Embsay Junction had this Airfix box.

From the other thread.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-fw-smith-j-robinson--embsay-junct.jpg

P

The viaduct shown in J1266 is the one near Sedbergh, also known as Waterside Viaduct or just Lune Viaduct. The one near the WCML at Low Gill is an all stone structure as can be seen in the photo in the link below.

https://flic.kr/p/pYAK6V

Paul J.

The viaduct on the LNWR Ingleton branch is the one featured in the opening sequence to 'The Train Now Departing' TV series of a good few years ago now. The sequence of an Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 on a demolition train, filmed by Ivo Peters, transformed into the then current scene of the redundant trackless viaduct. The scene was filmed from a position to the south of Low Gill station and the site of the junction between the branch and L&C line.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

It is a Midland design of box, a type 4d. It is quite possible it is a LMS built replacement box, the lever frame being in the back of the box was a LMS feature. The LMS carried on using MR type 4 for the Midland division and LNWR type 5 boxes for the Western and Central Divisions. Some MR design boxes ended up on the Western and Central divisions and some LNWR boxes on the Midland.

Thanks Clive.

Kevin

The Mk2b stock in C3206 appears to have frames fitted to their sides, presumably for destination boards to be inserted. I know this was done during 1969-71 on the WR and LMR in particular, but I don't recall seeing any use made of them on ER in the mid to late 1970s.

The cl37 in C3350 is a centre headcode type which were unusual on GE passenger trains, because their roof mounted horns prevented them from using certain tunnels near Liverpool St. I guess this one could be an inter-regional service however.

Most early Mk2 stock (up to and including at least some 2c) were fitted with the frames but only the WR used them. Sometimes it is not obvious, as it is in this photo. As stock was overhauled no doubt they were later on removed.

Stratford was allocated D6959-68 for many years (the only boiler fitted centre headcode type I believe), so if there was a restriction due to the air horns it can't have been very severe.

Most early Mk2 stock (up to and including at least some 2c) were fitted with the frames but only the WR used them. Sometimes it is not obvious, as it is in this photo. As stock was overhauled no doubt they were later on removed.

Stratford was allocated D6959-68 for many years (the only boiler fitted centre headcode type I believe), so if there was a restriction due to the air horns it can't have been very severe.

There was another batch of half-a-dozen steam-heated centre-headcode 37s- D6880-5, I think- based at Landore. Their only regular passenger turn was the Milford Haven beds as far as Swansea High St.

The restriction for the roof horn mounted 37's was Clapton Tunnels on the section of line between Hackney Downs and Copper Mill Jcn. Apart from that route the were no other restrictions that I knew of for other routes. They could still get to Cambridge via the Southbury loop or via Stratford and Temple Mills. There were no restrictions on the route to Ipswich and Norwich.

Paul J.

Boiler fitted centre box 37s from new were D6875-D6892(37175-37192).

D6960-D6968 (37260-37268) received boilers from early split box 37s to create a series of dual braked, steam heat 37s on the former Great Eastern.

For some reason 37247 received a boiler at some point in its life - sometime during the 1970s.

37248 has been fitted with a boiler during its restoration at the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Rly.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Quainton Road. Interesting to see the engines in various states of repair as at November, 1976.

Then there is much of interest at Hillmorton. Most of the Mk1and Mk2 stock can be seen to be running on B4 bogies, with a small number of Mk1's on commonwealth bogies, including the Mk1 BFK which is the leading carriage, in J4359.

With warmest regards,

Rob.