Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

Perhaps not while they're in the air, but I'm pretty sure at least some pilots still use them for planning purposes. Only a couple of weeks ago a bunch of guys from RAF Conningsby asked me for an OS 1:50000 map of the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway....

One thing about the Crabs that never ceases to amaze me is that no matter which theatre they're flying in (weekends and bank holidays excepted, naturally), they'll always find a Marriot or Hilton in which to billet.

Those magnificent men in their flying machines need no maps!

One thing about the Crabs that never ceases to amaze me is that no matter which theatre they're flying in (weekends and bank holidays excepted, naturally), they'll always find a Marriot or Hilton in which to billet.

Those magnificent men in their flying machines need no maps!

And the fact that they are the one animal that can survive in my pants

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Trigger's broom every one of us is like that broom as our bodies' cells renew themselves on a regular basis.

Dunno about the trespassers though. Their brain cells haven't renewed.

• Like 1

Some of us are original despite the mileage and occasional periods of storage except that some parts that were in the leg have moved to the heart, the valve gear has to be renewed every 10 years, blow-down occasionally gives trouble and the injector doesn't knock off as much nowadays...  :(

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that the central nervous system has no capacity for regeneration.

And that every time our cells divide we suffer telomerase deletion - initially resulting in structural DNA loss only but the older we get the more at risk our genes are...

Phil

With regard to the ' trespassers' the most disgraceful fact is that a large majority of these idiots think that they have a perfect right to be on the track and don't give a 'flying   ----' about what their selfish actions could result in.  And we all wonder why we live in THE NANNY STATE.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that the central nervous system has no capacity for regeneration.

And that every time our cells divide we suffer telomerase deletion - initially resulting in structural DNA loss only but the older we get the more at risk our genes are...

Phil

My genes are most at risk from my ever expanding waistline......

Also just out of interest, one of the team who did the painting was a volunteer from a Tramway Museum who has now been taken on by Heritage Painting as an apprentice.

And we're certainly proud of Miss P, Jamie, and also proud of Heritage Painting's slightly less high profile work on two of the tram fleet (with another possibly to be done this year!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

[smug mode] Luckily I am the exception to that rule. I am not sure I dare take her to a model railway exhibition as they might not be able to find enough ambulances for all the heart failures.... [/smug mode]

When your wife gets described in Model Railway Journal then you have something to be proud of.... :)

Andi

• Like 1

With regard to the ' trespassers' the most disgraceful fact is that a large majority of these idiots think that they have a perfect right to be on the track and don't give a 'flying   ----' about what their selfish actions could result in.  And we all wonder why we live in THE NANNY STATE.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  

Sort of makes you wish for a fatality or two, to provide candidates for the annual Darwin Awards.

Sort of makes you wish for a fatality or two, to provide candidates for the annual Darwin Awards.

Well yes, in a way you do, but then when you think of the law suits that would probably arise from the bereaved families and the ink spilled by the Red Tops it would set mainline steam back for years. Better they should be charged and fined, say, 5 000 quid?

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well maybe, and then not really.  The idea of the 'body bags' in that spoof set strikes me as rather uninformed to say the least - if a person is hit by a train travelling reasonably fast, let alone one travelling at high speed, you'd be a pretty 'lucky' (depending one one's viewpoint) person doing the clearing up if you actually manage to find all the bits within the better part of a mile of where the collision took place.  Black plastic sacks are probably a lot more useful that a body bag because use of the latter implies that you actually have 'a body' to put into into it.

Having on a number of occasions had to go and help 'pick up the pieces' (yes, literally) I don't wish that fate on anyone - I just want to see these halfwitted dumbos fined beyond their limit to pay and incarcerated for a few months, or longer, as a consequence to give them time to reflect on their moronic level of stupidity.

... I just want to see these halfwitted dumbos fined beyond their limit to pay and incarcerated for a few months, or longer, as a consequence to give them time to reflect on their moronic level of stupidity.

Recidivism being what it is, they'll come straight out and do it all again.

• RMweb Gold

Having been involved in a fatality incident on a preserved line nothing makes you wish for that believe you me.

Having been involved in a fatality incident on a preserved line nothing makes you wish for that believe you me.

Fair enough, but why do people risk their lives - and not just once, it would seem - just to get that photo/film/momentary glimpse? What is it about the steam-hauled train that makes them lose their heads?

This sounds like a suitable subject for a Ph.D thesis, if anyone's casting around for some ideas. "The Steam Locomotive Today: Human Ingenuity, Human Stupidity".

• Like 1

When your wife gets described in Model Railway Journal then you have something to be proud of.... :)

Andi

She is not my wife (yet) and the modelling journals she has been described in concern 12 inches to the foot scale modelling!  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1