New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

I love his videos. There's a whole community of young modellers out there reviewing models for the benefit of the hobby.

Seeing the coach in the flesh so to speak makes me certain that I made a good investment and has me wanting it and The Single all the more!

• RMweb Premium

I guess his videos must be an acquired taste.

IC82 and Sams Trains are well known YouTube channels . It’s noticable that Hattons have been using Sams Trains to review their P and Barclay . Looks like they recognise the value of reviews on YouTube and Rails have gone to IC82. I do agree though we could do with getting to the subject matter a whole lot faster Edited by Legend

My son used to love them when he was four or so. Agreed not my taste either but as Hilux says, he’s very popular. I find he talks nice and clearly but takes ages to get to the point. However, over 4000 views and 300+ comments.

He must be doing something right!

If you’re organising a big show, it’d be a smart move to get him along to do a slot. Publicise the show with a video and hopefully attract some new visitors. People talk a lot about getting different communities involved - there’s your evidence of a whole demographic who don’t buy and read magazines.

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 1

What? and watch him standing outside the door for 12 minutes before he opens it! :)

LoL!

What would work is for a commissioner/manufacturer to do a “live event”, video’d for YouTube and out on Facebook (you can view live these days) of him opening and reviewing a new item. Run it so as his YouTube fans could watch in person (in the same way as some shows have lectures/q&a seasions.)

Would create loads of publicity and possibly get some new people into a show.

David

The problem I have with him doing this one is he's probably alright doing the "average" models, but what is his knowledge of the prototype? There are people on this forum who have modelled it. Mike Trice even did a full appraisal and history of the prototype on the LNER Forum.

Is it accurate? Has he measured it against drawings? Has he studied the photographs?

Are the colours correct? I'm still not convinced about the roof colour on the 1948 version, it looks dark grey in the colour photo in the latest Steam Railway.

They are possibly fun videos. But it's a bit like a kid watching the latest Star Wars movie and posting his "feelings" on YouTube. I would rather have a proper review from an expert than a youngster worshipping it.

In other words they are harmless enough, but certainly aren't for everyone. Maybe I shouldn't take it to heart, but others shouldn't get upset when other people don't like them.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Have Rails sent out e mails for final payment yet? Just asking as my Rails e mails may be going to spam in error.

Not yet as we don't know for sure they're in transit from China.

I think that IC82 videos are appealing to a different audience than to some rmweb members. and personally his vidoes got me back into the hobby. yes his reviews aren't as thorough as most modelling magazines but his audience are most likely people like me who aren't adverse with railway knowledge but still enjoy the hobby in their own way. We want this wonderful hobby to keep going and like it or not IC82 and others are the best way of getting that hobby across to the next generation.

Anyhow from that review I can see that this looks like a good model (i'm no expert) with some nice attention to detail but I can't see myself getting one as I can't justify that price on a coach that will spend most of it time in a box.

Personally, I enjoy the Youtube videos of creators like IC82, Sam'sTrains and SDJR7F88 and frequently use their videos when considering whether or not to buy a new locomotive. While forums like this inform me of any inaccuracies of the model, the videos provide a clear view of the product from all angles, the quality of its finish and details, demonstrate its slow speed running as well as its general running qualities and pulling power. That all helps me to reach my own conclusions about a model.

It is also worth noting that these YouTube channels contribute a large amount to the hobby without charging with the three mentioned above having over 90,000 subscribers combined and 60,000,000 total views. None of them claim to be railway experts as far as I am aware yet their videos are full of largely accurate information about the prototype which is fantastic for those new to the hobby - an audience that is very well served by them. 

This particular review video should probably not be seen as representative of the usual ones from IC82. Having not made a video for over a year, he felt it necessary to acknowledge this and resulted in the longer than usual and less polished - although more 'real' - introduction. While he could have put this in separate video (something I think he mentioned that he would be doing), the time pressure of creating the video for a manufacturer may have come into play. 

• RMweb Premium

Very well put, Bucoops. I am left wondering which is more important here - the product review, or the ‘celebrity’ endorsement?

I must be getting old...

Very well put, Bucoops. I am left wondering which is more important here - the product review, or the ‘celebrity’ endorsement?

I must be getting old...

Oh dear - the 'celebrity' word ! Famous for being famous ?

Let's remember that anyone can set themselves up as an online reviewer, and that there are thousands of potential viewers with even less knowledge of the subject that the reviewer.

Get enough views, and you're suddenly a 'celebrity expert' - and manufacturers will flock to your in-box, wanting you to review their products.

Of course, there's going to be the 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' element involved, and many 'online celebrities' / bloggers can and do make a full-time, comfortable living from this activity.

On-line reviews are simply manufacturers' publicity, and should be regarded with even more scepticism than magazine reviews where the magazine is paid to advertise the manufacturers' products.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

I think that IC82 videos are appealing to a different audience than to some rmweb members. and personally his vidoes got me back into the hobby. yes his reviews aren't as thorough as most modelling magazines but his audience are most likely people like me who aren't adverse with railway knowledge but still enjoy the hobby in their own way. We want this wonderful hobby to keep going and like it or not IC82 and others are the best way of getting that hobby across to the next generation.

Anyhow from that review I can see that this looks like a good model (i'm no expert) with some nice attention to detail but I can't see myself getting one as I can't justify that price on a coach that will spend most of it time in a box.

Having been brought up in the days of Peter Denys Buckingham and David Jenkinson's skillful modelling its a refreshing change to see younger modellers like IC82 taking a totally new light on this hobby. I've whatched many of he's videos and i find them really good entertainment - good for you young man!

Can I also mention Youtubers - Dean Park and Everard Junction in their reviewing and modelling.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think there comes a point on YouTube where the subject matter seems to become less important and the personality of the presenter dominates.  I think really IC82 crossed the line here. I know he's been off for a while , but he could have explained that in another video for his fan base and had a shorter more relevant video on the Dynamometer car.

I appreciate the power of YouTube channels, and the likes of Hornby, who I think had previously signed IC82 up, Hattons and Rails obviously realise the benefits of media exposure on YouTube .  I think for Rails , maybe they needed to target this one better, although giving it a wider profile I can't see that the viewers of IC82 are the same demographic as those interested in the Dynamometer car. I like the YouTube videos , but even I got fed up waiting for him to open the box , easter eggs , planes going past.. The review wasn't detailed but I didn't expect that, I just wanted to see what it looked like. No interest in buying it . I thought the magic wand was very gimmicky .  Interestingly I don't think he mentions the price at anytime , which is surely one of the more critical points.

I think there comes a point on YouTube where the subject matter seems to become less important and the personality of the presenter dominates.  I think really IC82 crossed the line here. I know he's been off for a while , but he could have explained that in another video for his fan base and had a shorter more relevant video on the Dynamometer car.

I appreciate the power of YouTube channels, and the likes of Hornby, who I think had previously signed IC82 up, Hattons and Rails obviously realise the benefits of media exposure on YouTube .  I think for Rails , maybe they needed to target this one better, although giving it a wider profile I can't see that the viewers of IC82 are the same demographic as those interested in the Dynamometer car. I like the YouTube videos , but even I got fed up waiting for him to open the box , easter eggs , planes going past.. The review wasn't detailed but I didn't expect that, I just wanted to see what it looked like. No interest in buying it . I thought the magic wand was very gimmicky .  Interestingly I don't think he mentions the price at anytime , which is surely one of the more critical points.

£125.00

Guest spet0114

The bit at around 22 mins when he first spots the dynamometer wheel is hilarious.

"Maybe that measured the speed?"

On-line reviews are simply manufacturers' publicity, and should be regarded with even more scepticism than magazine reviews where the magazine is paid to advertise the manufacturers' products.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As a journalist, can I just point out magazines are not "paid to advertise manufacturers' products" for the most part. In 99% of cases, no money changes hands in exchange for reviews, and on the odd occasion where there is paid-for-content inside a magazine it has to be clearly signposted, otherwise the publication will get in trouble with the ASA.

For instance, it costs car manufacturers £1,000 a week to send a test vehicle to motoring journalists to review. Yes, magazines - B2B ones especially - are funded by adverts, but a PR department does not pay a journalist to review a model, whereas the marketing department will pay the sales team to slot in adverts into the magazine.

The only exception to this rule that I can think of is the likes of a club magazine (such as Hornby's 'The Collector' or a Tesco magazine), which is there - like it or not - to promote products/(a) brand/s, but even then the journalist is given an element of editorial freedom, because nobody will read pages and pages of product plugs.

In IC82's case, Rails saw it could get good PR by sending him a (pre-production) model so sent him the model to review - and note, Will mentioned the model had to be sent back after the review had been filmed, so it wasn't as if he was going to keep it forever, either.

No money would have changed hands - and if it did, Will would have to clearly mention the video is an advertorial. Rails' also wouldn't have had any editorial say over what IC82 said in the same way a PR wouldn't proof-read a motoring journalist's review of a car before the copy appears in print or a news story. 

Of course, it is in Will's best interests to be kind about the product because he'll want to keep on receiving models to review and build relationships, but that's no different to any other reviewer.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, and the bit I was straining my eyes for was to see how well the teak has been rendered, on other pictures here it looks a bit dot matrix style pixels, and I still think that wheel should spin. I didn’t notice wind guards at the side windows either, though the end window guards have been excellently well represented in those brass etches.

Still haven’t pre-ordered yet, I want to see a close up review before committing to what is the same price as a whole train of coaches first.

Edited by adb968008

As a journalist, can I just point out magazines are not "paid to advertise manufacturers' products" for the most part. In 99% of cases, no money changes hands in exchange for reviews, and on the odd occasion where there is paid-for-content inside a magazine it has to be clearly signposted, otherwise the publication will get in trouble with the ASA.

For instance, it costs car manufacturers £1,000 a week to send a test vehicle to motoring journalists to review. Yes, magazines - B2B ones especially - are funded by adverts, but a PR department does not pay a journalist to review a model, whereas the marketing department will pay the sales team to slot in adverts into the magazine.

The only exception to this rule that I can think of is the likes of a club magazine (such as Hornby's 'The Collector' or a Tesco magazine), which is there - like it or not - to promote products/(a) brand/s, but even then the journalist is given an element of editorial freedom, because nobody will read pages and pages of product plugs.

In IC82's case, Rails saw it could get good PR by sending him a (pre-production) model so sent him the model to review - and note, Will mentioned the model had to be sent back after the review had been filmed, so it wasn't as if he was going to keep it forever, either.

No money would have changed hands - and if it did, Will would have to clearly mention the video is an advertorial. Rails' also wouldn't have had any editorial say over what IC82 said in the same way a PR wouldn't proof-read a motoring journalist's review of a car before the copy appears in print or a news story. 

Of course, it is in Will's best interests to be kind about the product because he'll want to keep on receiving models to review and build relationships, but that's no different to any other reviewer.

I beg to differ. I worked in the music business for a few years and the magazines (radio stations, fanzines, etc.) were definitely paid to review albums and gigs. Not only money, but free holidays, tickets, albums, merchandise, etc.

Do you want to review band "XYZ"? Free two week all inclusive holiday in Brazil as long as you give a good review. Why do you think all the major gig reviews are in places like New York, Los Angeles and Paris rather than Stoke? It's not the magazine paying for it.

I'm not saying that happens in the Model Railway world. But it was common in my experience and apparently still is according to people still involved in the industry.

Jason