Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Premium

I am hoping (but my wallet is dreading) it will be 47522 in Parcels Green http://www.class47.c...g=0872000041000

That is a possibility isn't it? - the body moulding with prototypically flush headcode panels at both ends already exists as it was used for 47535.

I agree the livery is a possibility, but the "Parcels" branding was removed before the radio aerials were fitted - see http://www.class47.c...g=0519051007211 and http://www.class47.c...g=0948000106000. And if it has a Stratford sparrow logo as in the 2nd picture I won't buy it on principle (Bachmann is far too GN/GE focussed with its choice of 47s - even the model of THOR as in my earlier post is from its short spell allocated to SF depot)

How about 47973 http://www.class47.c...g=1108051001211 or an NRM and Diamond Jubilee tie-in with 47798, or are the tanks wrong? (The image is not clear if the model is Crewe cut or not)

But personally I suspect something more modern, unfortunately.

Edited by brushman47544

Of course there is no certainty that the drawing is the exact same as the model will be, but I would not say no to 47973 - I had a Lima model of her and 47522 so either would do me and allow me to have a better model of 2 of my favourite 47's.

All the 47's coming out this year are 1980's and 1990's models so I think they will want to tie in with them but pick something unique, hence my theory on 47522.

Bachmann Collectors Club confirmed today that the LE is indeed 47522 in LNER Parcels livery and they are starting to take pre-orders. They had a livery sample too.

Bruce

I am personally glad I am right but my wallet now hates me! Looks like it is time to retire the Lima Model of the same, did anyone get a pic of the 47?

I am personally glad I am right but my wallet now hates me! Looks like it is time to retire the Lima Model of the same, did anyone get a pic of the 47?

Sorry Ed - could have done but I'm afraid for me it was a disappointment (yet another flush fronted 47!) so I didn't bother - livery application looked up to Bachmann's usual high standard though :)

Bruce

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Ed - could have done but I'm afraid for me it was a disappointment (yet another flush fronted 47!) so I didn't bother - livery application looked up to Bachmann's usual high standard though :)

Bruce

Did you notice by any chance if it had the "Parcels" branding next to the BR double arrow and/or that detestable cockney sparrow (well I think it looks silly anyway) later applied by SF depot?

Did you notice by any chance if it had the "Parcels" branding next to the BR double arrow and/or that detestable cockney sparrow (well I think it looks silly anyway) later applied by SF depot?

It didn't have the "Parcels" but did have a BEAUTIFUL cockney sparrow on the side!!

• RMweb Premium

It didn't have the "Parcels" but did have a BEAUTIFUL cockney sparrow on the side!!

Good - that's saved me over £100. I am tempted to "comment" to Bachmann when it is released though - it is so much easier to add a sparrow transfer than remove it.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

47522 only carried the Parcels branding for about 5 months Oct 87-Feb 88, the sparrow went on i believe june 88 till its accident in Jan 1990

Not sure about the exact dates - but looking at various photos it does seem likely that the cockney sparrow was applied at the same time as the radio aerials were fitted. Since Bachmann only (at the mo at least) seems to have flush end cab tooling with radio aerials, what I want is not possible unless I remove the aerials as well as the sparrow. I prefer not to mess with limited editions, so a pass on this model is now confirmed on my part.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Michael

First things first - thats D1854 not D1864. 64 was an ER loco, this one is LM - note the W below the running number designating Western Lines allocation

D1854 in this pic has Serck radiator grills - 2 with widely spaced slats, at far end in this view

So Bacchys GSYP D1746 is wrong that has the original 3 fixed grills - as the currently listed GSYP D1572 so they are both no go

The currently listed GFYE D1677 has the correct radiator panels - so that then takes us on to the boiler port. Class 47s had I think 2 main variants - square or round ports, at near end in this view. Looks to me from this photo as if 54 has the square pattern - this end of loco - so D1677 again correct.

So looks like D1677 your best starting point in terms of the model but unfortunately if you want this livery is GFYE so out with the modelstrip....but she did go in to GFYE some time between this photo and the end of 1970 by which time D1744 was the last surviving GSYP Brush 4

D1854 still survives as "bodysnatcher" 57012

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1