Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

• RMweb Gold

Well I for one hope that Hornby are going to use another painting from Malcolm Root's collection for their catalogue. I really rate him as an artist working on railway themes, he seems to be able to combine accuracy with artistic impression. The only reservation that Hornby may have is that Bachmann use him for their Collectors' Calendar. He has done some beautiful ones of Bulleid pacifics in both original and rebuilt forms. If you check out his website you can see one of a developing picture of a Bulleid pacific setting off from Southampton Docks with a Cunarder after the Queen Mary has docked. 

all the best

Godfrey -( looking forward to Monday)

A conversation with an owner of a set of Golden Age streamlined stock gave me a reality check on their running characteristics.Because of the prototypically close connection,they are restricted almost to prototypical track curvature.We mortals call it radius.This adds to any haulage problems due to weight.So yes you hit the nail on the head.Good cosmetically but maybe not an option for the majority.

The Golden Age streamline stock will run on 3' radius curves. I have seen it run on a test track. The train is heavier than a Hornby train would be but the Golden Age locomotives can pull the train.

• RMweb Gold

Well I for one hope that Hornby are going to use another painting from Malcolm Root's collection for their catalogue. I really rate him as an artist working on railway themes, he seems to be able to combine accuracy with artistic impression. The only reservation that Hornby may have is that Bachmann use him for their Collectors' Calendar. He has done some beautiful ones of Bulleid pacifics in both original and rebuilt forms. If you check out his website you can see one of a developing picture of a Bulleid pacific setting off from Southampton Docks with a Cunarder after the Queen Mary has docked. 

all the best

Godfrey -( looking forward to Monday)

How about this as a contender

https://goo.gl/images/Bnz4tj

Would get the thumbs up from me!

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

A precedent has been set for offering packs of coaches albeit not in 00 gauge or UK outline. Kato do successful ‘book sets’ of carriages for US, European and Japanese trains - both loco hauled stock and powered units. Their Southern Pacific Daylight sets with matching streamlined locos are particularly nice.

US manufacturers have been doing this for years with accurate coaches for named express trains. Usually they are offered separately for people who don't need/want to build a complete rake.

However coaches are expensive and most people are cost-sensitive. There was an intercept point in the range of five to ten years ago when the production economics were perfect for full sets in plastic RTR. Right now it would surprise me to see this anywhere outside the realm of high-end brass.

It is of course possible and I would purchase an LNER Coronation set - or at least most of one.

• Like 1

They reuse artwork all the time . The back of the catalogue contains stations track etc seldom changes. The latest track plans book has images on P30 to do with flexible track I can trace back to the late 70s . Other pages eg 10-11 have pictures of a layout from at least 2 track plans books before.

I hope we get something a bit more exciting this time , catalogue wise.

I'm talking about the front cover...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but back in the days of Triang-Hornby, they got Terence Cuneo to portray the latest 'must haves'.

Modern digitry is all very well, but the mouse.....

Harthur Kneegus.

And the original paintings look even better (cue mention of an RMweb visit later this year -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139995-rmweb-tour-of-didcot-fawley-25th-26th-may-2019/

Getting back to Hornby and thinking of what has gone on in the recent past I wonder if anybody will be going in for upstaging Hornby with an announcement earlier on Monday?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to Hornby and thinking of what has gone on in the recent past I wonder if anybody will be going in for upstaging Hornby with an announcement earlier on Monday?

Now there's a man with some inside knowledge. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think our set of announcements will be upstaged Mike, there’s some very nice surprises in store come 10:00am...

“On The Twefth Day of Christmas

My true love sent to me

Twelve Manors leaping

Eleven Saints a dancing

Ten Counties piping

Nine Prairies drumming...." etc

And yes,Paul...It IS indeed Twelfth Night.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 3

And the original paintings look even better (cue mention of an RMweb visit later this year -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139995-rmweb-tour-of-didcot-fawley-25th-26th-may-2019/

They will have a hard job. Hornby must have about 5 all new locos, then all new coaches and all new wagons plus all the various reruns in new liveries. Who could possibly upstage that?

thats where the garden railway with shed or garage comes in but around the average loft or spare room 10 coach trains will be tail chasing almost.

Someone correct me , but weren't the LNER streamline trains about 7 coaches - limited load premium trains capable of high speed by virtue of the limited load?

In that case a 7 coach train could be issued for under £500 

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Hornby may tempted into the 0.16.5 (7mm NG) Narrow Gauge market ?

Bachmann and Heljan moved into the 009 market a couple of years back and seems to have been successful.

I can not see Hornby entering the standard 0 Gauge market

Peco already make 0.16.5 coach and wagon kits, so they could be tempted to replicate what they have done in 009

Just a thought.

Terry

• Like 1

Someone correct me , but weren't the LNER streamline trains about 7 coaches - limited load premium trains capable of high speed by virtue of the limited load?

In that case a 7 coach train could be issued for under £500 

The 1935 'Silver Jubilee' was a seven coach set but later upgraded to eight. The other four sets were matching eight coach formations. The addition of the beavertail to the summer Coronation's made those sets up to nine coaches.

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think our set of announcements will be upstaged Mike, there’s some very nice surprises in store come 10:00am...

Here's a nice hint for you Islesy - not that you need one of course

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140359-Hornby-2019-speculation/page-5

Fancy having a fiver on what I've already placed a pre-order for if you'd like to check the accuracy of my crystal ball(s)?

So it that very nice surprises for the steam people with a couple of afterthoughts for the d&e lot or is there actually something to get excited about for once?

Cynical me never!

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So it that very nice surprises for the steam people with a couple of afterthoughts for the d&e lot or is there actually something to get excited about for once?

Cynical me never!

Mark

Maybe the blue box thread might produce froth of a consistency that's more that's to your liking. :jester:

Such a tease....I am however trying not to get too excited with the fear of being disappointed.

I for one seriously hope the steam obsessed Hornby do a Class 91. Something for the D&E folk. We've had an amazing Class 71 and equally stunning Class 87.

I'm taking model trains too seriously, aren't I?

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

“On The Twefth Day of Christmas

My true love sent to me

Twelve Manors leaping

Eleven Saints a dancing

Ten Counties piping

Nine Prairies drumming...." etc

And yes,Paul...It IS indeed Twelfth Night.

Ian you forgot..

"And a Leader in a Pear Tree"  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Such a tease....I am however trying not to get too excited with the fear of being disappointed.

I for one seriously hope the steam obsessed Hornby do a Class 91. Something for the D&E folk. We've had an amazing Class 71 and equally stunning Class 87.

I'm taking model trains too seriously, aren't I?

They already do a class 91. I'm hoping for something new.