Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

If it’s the old Hornby HST model, will be interesting to see which motor it has! There’s some issues making new Ringfileds I think I remember?

Will have to get one for nostalgia!

There appears a fair bit of confusion creeping in to this discussion about the HSTs on offer. The HST in the GWR train set appears to be Hornby's ancient own original (and incorrect) model from the 70s (which I think we all thought had been consigned to the crusher). The ones in the Railroad blue/grey train pack are the ex-Lima model, probably with the updated DCC-ready power bogie (that Hornby released once before, years ago, as a Railroad Virgin HST train pack). The rest of the HSTs are the newer mega detailed ones.

I would also be weary about assuming the Pullmans in the Belmond pack are the newer detailed ones. The price of the pack suggests otherwise. But let's see.

Edited by miles73128

If it’s the old Horny model, will be interesting to see which motor it has! There’s some issues making new Ringfileds I think I remember?

Will have to get one for nostalgia!

Stuff the 31....I’d just like to meet this “ horny model “ you speak of.

• Administrators

For what it's worth, as someone who has had his grubby mits on the models at the launch, I rang my local model shop today and placed orders for a red Ruston and pale Green Peckett with my own money.

I've no idea what we will get through for review, but I don't want to miss out on these...

• Like 3

It seems that the initial excitement expressed about the new track rubber in the early posts on this thread is rapidly dying, I’m not surprised as I too am developing some concerns.

It looks far too light in colour to me and I think it is going to start looking shabby very quickly unless you make sure that your track has been thoroughly cleaned before you use it.

Also it gives the perception of being very thin. It is often difficult to judge these things from photos though, has anyone seen any published dimensions yet? If it is about 600 x 300 (2’ x 1’ in old money) it would suggest that it is about 50mm thick which might be OK I suppose.

I’m also hoping it is not too finely detailed, practically everything I have brought from the major manufacturers over the last couple of years seems to have bits drop off during normal handling. It was probably ever thus though, I have had my existing track rubber for several years and I’m sure I keep losing bits off it, I’d swear it is gradually getting smaller.

Should one assume that this is also Chinese, or are we looking at British production? I have in a small way assisted my daughter through university in the hope that she might just perhaps one day get a job making something like this, it would be a shame if she was yet again to be thwarted by Johnny Foreigner.

A little tip though, I heard Some Bloke on Radio 4 this morning (politician chap I think, so we can certainly trust him), he reckons that after March 29th we will be doing tariff free trade deals around the world, so I’m going to wait for the revised price list to come out in April when I reckon everything will be at least 10% cheaper.

Still, those GWR suburban coaches look really good, I’m going to stick my neck out and pre-order…..

Happy modelling.

Pete.

Where are my full livery SECR D class 4-4-0 and (pick one NB or Caledonian 4-4-0)   Don't mention the LNWR....

here is my photo-edited 6201 ...   with the new-tooling I'll have to do it again!   ....   sigh

post-7929-0-04725800-1546977174_thumb.jpg

cheers,

p.s. bravo Hornby!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

For what it's worth, as someone who has had his grubby mits on the models at the launch, I rang my local model shop today and placed orders for a red Ruston and pale Green Peckett with my own money.

I've no idea what we will get through for review, but I don't want to miss out on these...

That’s great Phil, this “non-existant research department” bod has done the same, though for me it was the Queen Anne 48DS and the NCB Peckett B2...

• Like 4

Slightly disappointed not to see a re-release of the BR Standard Clan Pacific.  It's well overdue and silly prices are now being charged for secondhand models. I was told that Hornby still have the tooling. Perhaps next year.

However, I do have the Princess. the LMS Brake van, and the 21 ton wagons om my shopping list. 

Where did the BR Mk.I GUV come from - I can't see any Hornby history on this model?

Well done Hornby for such a good programme of releases, especially with release  dates in 2019 and not 2020.

Peterfgf

• Like 2

Slightly disappointed not to see a re-release of the BR Standard Clan Pacific. It's well overdue and silly prices are now being charged for secondhand models. I was told that Hornby still have the tooling. Perhaps next year.

However, I do have the Princess. the LMS Brake van, and the 21 ton wagons om my shopping list.

Where did the BR Mk.I GUV come from - I can't see any Hornby history on this model?

Well done Hornby for such a good programme of releases, especially with release dates in 2019 and not 2020.

Peterfgf

Think the GUV is old Lima tooling.

But who decides what is the "wrong" era, livery or sub-class? They either make what you want or they don't.

If Hornby, or anyone else, wanted to cover every variation of every Class 47 in every year of its service (for instance) they'd have to make tens of thousands of different models, and most of them would be "wrong" for nearly everybody.

And there we have it - one possible reason why Hornby seem reluctant to involve themselves too deeply in diesel and electric traction.

Javelins and 800s are fine, new prototypes that haven't had time to acquire the arcane bodges that make the gricers' day. 

Forays into long-lived, numerically huge "old banger" classes like 37s and 47s which ended up with no two locos the same represent, by comparison, a hiding to nothing. Any model can, at best, only represent with absolute accuracy a particular prototype loco as it was on a particular day. Those who want the same loco as it was two years earlier or two years later will carp. 

John

As I said, they will never make everyone happy and they shouldn’t try to, im comparing Hornby to other manufacturers who seem to do a much better job of providing liveries and variations that people want.

Of course they will always be complaints that x loco/livery/subclass hasn’t been produced, but from my experience other manufacturers do a much better job of providing what people want.

Nope.

It's new and was brought out when they released the new BR Mark Ones a couple of years ago.

Jason

Are you sure about that Jason ? I don't recall Hornby producing an all-new GUV, and it certainly looks like the Lima model, complete with old-style large couplings. Maybe confusing it with the BG ?

• Like 1

Where are my full livery SECR D class 4-4-0 and (pick one NB or Caledonian 4-4-0)   Don't mention the LNWR....

here is my photo-edited 6201 ...   with the new-tooling I'll have to do it again!   ....   sigh

attachicon.gif6201_Princess_Carlisle_2abcdE_crop3_r1200.jpg

cheers,

p.s. bravo Hornby!

Nice Princess!

I've got a recent tooling LMS red (Can't remember her name!), she doesn't get out much so there's no point in me getting the new tooling!

There's a Britannia for you too - R3643 70046 "ANZAC"!

Are you sure about that Jason ? I don't recall Hornby producing an all-new GUV, and it certainly looks like the Lima model, complete with old-style large couplings. Maybe confusing it with the BG ?

Yeah. I got mixed up with the BG.

Realised and deleted the post hoping that nobody noticed. Seems I wasn't quick enough...  :senile:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium

Think the GUV is old Lima tooling.

It was Bachmann that brought out the all new GUV and CCT (for Invicta) in recent years. The GUV and graffitied CCT now announced by Hornby both look like the old Lima models.

• RMweb Gold

As I said, they will never make everyone happy and they shouldn’t try to, im comparing Hornby to other manufacturers who seem to do a much better job of providing liveries and variations that people want.

Of course they will always be complaints that x loco/livery/subclass hasn’t been produced, but from my experience other manufacturers do a much better job of providing what people want.

Difficult to judge what "people" want, I find, so I stick with what I want to keep things simple.

Hornby do a good job of providing that, though the only (relatively) modern diesels in my fleet are three Hornby Class 50s , and a Heljan 33/1 in NSE livery. All retained for sentimental reasons when I cleared out most of my post-steam-era models a few years back. Can't remember the last time I ran any of them.

My own requirements for Class 47s etc are simple because in "my world" they were new, hadn't been hacked about, and all carried the same livery. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Guest teacupteacup

I think this is Hornby's best range announcement for many years, lots of interesting items for a lot of eras/regions and more importantly, pockets.

For me the Ruston is the highlight, most probably because I've recently developed an interest in industrial railways.  I find the Mk2f's a very interesting announcement.  True Bachmann do a great version, and will probably produce the Scotrail versions Hornby are doing, but I guess Hornby will be first to market with them, and cheaper to boot.  I'd imagine that those who have Scotrail 68's will jump at them, though there will be folk who prefer Bachmann's products

The slide-door Mk3's are a sure-fire winner, being timed for release whilst the prototypes are still being converted - especially the Scotrail ones, new liveries are always popular.  Actually even without the sliding-door Mk3's, the Scotrail scene is very interesting.  I saw part of a formation at Haymarket just before xmas with a Scotrail PC, ex FGW trailer, unbranded GWR trailer and I think another 2 ex FGW's with an ex-FGW PC at the other end.  Very interesting, short formation, iconic train!

I hope that by releasing the older ex Lima 66, 47 and HST PC's, Hornby make a good return, after all, those tools must have more than paid their purchase and updating costs.  If they do pick their profits up, then maybe in a couple of years they can start being bolder in the choice of brand new, versatile, tools - maybe a 37 or 47 as many are wishing for, or even the much mentioned 91 & Mk4 sets, or 1st gen DMU.

One thing I think is very important is that the promised delivery dates are stuck to, as that will help build confidence with the buying public

Exciting times for Hornby ahead, and I wish them luck

Edited by teacupteacup

• RMweb Gold

It was Bachmann that brought out the all new GUV and CCT (for Invicta) in recent years. The GUV and graffitied CCT now announced by Hornby both look like the old Lima models.

Do they have current tooling underframes and bogies, with brake blocks in line with the wheels and NEM couplers?  

Happy that Hornby are finally releasing a DB Red Class 60 as the previously released 60007 model is quite hard to find at this stage.

Not too happy that they decided to release a sound and named fitted version though. Also, the livery on the pre-prod sample appears to have an error in so far as the bottom grey band seems to be too high on the bodyside and there are gaps in the grey band where the cab and bodyside doors are. Hopefully this has been corrected before models are released.

• RMweb Gold

Do they have current tooling underframes and bogies, with brake blocks in line with the wheels and NEM couplers?  

Not if the illustrations are to be believed, both the GUV and CCT appear to be unchanged from the Lima tooling.

John

To all those complaining about the DB Schenker Class 60.....

- Yes I know it's disappointing that it is un-named and with TTS, BUT....
- The name "Dowlow" is short and requires little more effort to remove which you will have to do anyway with the numbers, what the harm in the extra 5 mins?
- The TTS chip isn't necessarily a problem, retailers will (as in the past) sell it without the TTS chip, if not you can always remove it and sell it on.

Can we happy that Hornby have finally announced a DB Schenker Class 60?

• Like 1

Happy that Hornby are finally releasing a DB Red Class 60 as the previously released 60007 model is quite hard to find at this stage.

Not too happy that they decided to release a sound and named fitted version though. Also, the livery on the pre-prod sample appears to have an error in so far as the bottom grey band seems to be too high on the bodyside and there are gaps in the grey band where the cab and bodyside doors are. Hopefully this has been corrected before models are released.

Quite disappointed not to see an intercity dvt to go with the intercity 87 from last year. I wonder if Hornby are going to concentrate on the modified mk3's leaving oxford rail to concentrate on the slam door versions but as they are 2 different companies does this count as collusion under the competition laws assuming this has been discussed between the 2 companies.

Mark