Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

... does this count as collusion under the competition laws assuming this has been discussed between the 2 companies.

I wonder how could prove collusion between the competing voices in Lyndon Davies's head?

• Like 1

Hornby have released an image of the forthcoming model. The top of the grey bodyside band on the real locos is a straight line across the bodyside, but on the model shown by Hornby, it is too high and the doors cut into the grey area. Grey area should only come up to the bottom of the doors to be accurate. Grey area rises slightly above the door bottoms on the model shown by Hornby. Check out this link for an image of model and zoom in and it should become apparent. https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3605tts-db-schenker-class-60-co-co-60044-dowlow-free-postage/ Edited by InchicoreWorks

Disappointed to not see any Trout at all - BR black seems to have only had 1 batch ever?  I did get a couple of the yellow ones from last year, and they stripped nicely in brake fluid (Wilko's Dot 4).

The LMS brakevan looks good, and it will be hard to resist a 6 coupled Peckett...

Quite disappointed not to see an intercity dvt to go with the intercity 87 from last year. I wonder if Hornby are going to concentrate on the modified mk3's leaving oxford rail to concentrate on the slam door versions but as they are 2 different companies does this count as collusion under the competition laws assuming this has been discussed between the 2 companies.

Mark

No, there are no laws prohibiting companies from coming to any agreement they want to, provided it doesn't amount to creating a monopoly or cartel which acts against the interests of consumers. Even with Hornby's dominance of the market, they're a very long way short of that. On the contrary, the ease with which it's possible for smaller players to enter the market (eg, Hattons, DJM, Rapido, Heljan, even Oxford themselves) means that it would be entirely counterproductive for Hornby and Oxford to try and engage in cartel-like behaviour, even if it were possible.

In any case, an agreement of the type you suggest - that is, different companies producing different products rather than directly competing by making identical ones - is, in many respects, better for the consumer, at least in an otherwise generally competitive market (which railway modelling is). It broadens the range available to consumers, and it's unlikely that if both companies did make identical products they would try to compete on price. So it creates an obvious benefit to consumers with no probable downside. Which means the regulators wouldn't be interested in investigating it, even if someone did make a complaint.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have released an image of the forthcoming model. The top of the grey bodyside band on the real locos is a straight line across the bodyside, but on the model shown by Hornby, it is too high and the doors cut into the grey area. Grey area should only come up to the bottom of the doors to be accurate. Grey area rises slightly above the door bottoms on the model shown by Hornby. Check out this link for an image of model and zoom in and it should become apparent. https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3605tts-db-schenker-class-60-co-co-60044-dowlow-free-postage/

Is see what you mean, the grey band should touch the bottom of the two large bodyside grills but in Hornby's image it appears to be fractionally higher. Personally I would put that down to inaccurate photoshopping of the catalogue image. The band was correct on the DB Schenker version 60007 so I would expect it to be correct in this case too.

• RMweb Premium

Is see what you mean, the grey band should touch the bottom of the two large bodyside grills but in Hornby's image it appears to be fractionally higher. Personally I would put that down to inaccurate photoshopping of the catalogue image. The band was correct on the DB Schenker version 60007 so I would expect it to be correct in this case too.

One would hope it’s just a photoshopping glitch, but well worth flagging just to make sure! Afterall, the Railfreight triple grey shades on the 60s suddenly went wrong, having been pretty good on many previous releases, I’m guessing that it’s one of those inconsistencies you get over time as the development team & producing factories involved change and specific details get missed, so at least Hornby will know to focus on ensuring that element is correct for next time as it’s flagged!

The Mk2f coaches are an interesting choice - clever, clever design would create a coach underframe that has tooling/interchangeable underframe equipment moulds to be also used under the existing Mk2e bodies to correct the ‘solebar’ issue on future releases!

And finally, another year without an ‘Electrostar’ haha! Nevermind, perhaps the Blue team may have something next week or else I’ll be getting out my moulding resin for casting my conversion parts again!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Disappointed to not see any Trout at all - BR black seems to have only had 1 batch ever? 

Good spot, sir!  I failed to notice that, despite a recent scavenge for any stray Trout, which only managed to net one specimen, and that in green.

Quite disappointed not to see an intercity dvt to go with the intercity 87 from last year. I wonder if Hornby are going to concentrate on the modified mk3's leaving oxford rail to concentrate on the slam door versions but as they are 2 different companies does this count as collusion under the competition laws assuming this has been discussed between the 2 companies.

Mark

Agreed on the DVT - I wonder if Hornby is aware/gets advice some on how much IC MK3 DVT's are going for on ebay? I think I have seen mint ones going for £150-200. Insane, but suggests a demand for them.

Surely a missed easy sales opportunity! Surprised Kernow have not jumped on this with Hornby and done a limited run at an inflated price (but way less than ebay prices)  ;)

Edited by sanspareil

As an aside i do hope Hornby get their spare parts division in order. So hard to get many parts these days!

I spoke to Simon last year at a show on this matter and he was aware of the issue and said it will improve....lets see.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

Just saw the Hornby 2019 catalogue sitting on the shelf at the local newsagents looking very impressive with a painting of a Princess Royal in full cry on the front. On a quick flip through it fell open at a page of brightly arrayed Pecketts - I wonder if that's a feature of the binding? It certainly highlights the "gotta collect them all" aspect of these models. Well played, Hornby.

The DB 60 reminds me of the NBR J36:

"We've actually decided to produce a non-southern pre-grouping livery but you'll have to pay for TTS to have the luxury..."

From a business perspective it makes sense: charge more for the item in high demand etc.

A cheeky tactic, maybe, but if people want something they'll be likely to pay for it...

Hornby have released an image of the forthcoming model. The top of the grey bodyside band on the real locos is a straight line across the bodyside, but on the model shown by Hornby, it is too high and the doors cut into the grey area. Grey area should only come up to the bottom of the doors to be accurate. Grey area rises slightly above the door bottoms on the model shown by Hornby. Check out this link for an image of model and zoom in and it should become apparent. https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3605tts-db-schenker-class-60-co-co-60044-dowlow-free-postage/

Just to point out Hornby have only released a picture that is a doctored image. The errors you point out look more like a layering issue. They haven't released any images of an actual model (atleast I've not seen any).

See the images I attached. The top part of the grey band is an inch or two higher than the lower part of the grille. They've got that correct. The CAD might be slightly incorrect wherein the lower part of the doors are in line with the lower part of the grilles. From the images I linked it looks like the lower part of the doors are a bit higher.

Either way they've done a DB Schenker Class 60 before which turned out fine. I'm sure this will too.

• RMweb Premium

Heads up , the catalogue is in the shops

I happened to be passing through Glasgow Airport this morning .  Suprisingly the WH Smith (airside)had both the Hornby Magazine and Catalogue . On getting to these dreadful automated tills I didn't get any discount though . Catalogue £8.99 Mag £4.60. There was someone around , but I really couldn't be bothered . You just sensed it would be a waste of time.   However the news is the Catalogue is out there.  Impressively fast I would say . Yet to look at it but appears to be same format as previous years

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

With no disrespect to this forum and Andy in particular the Hornby Magazine has a very succinct and comprehesive precis of the new range answering some of the questions that have cropped up so far how  - may pins for the DCC socket of the small industrials (- 6 for both the Ruston and the Peckett), colour of 6201(LMS maroon)  etc. Also new TTS chip for the Class 50 and the 08 chip available separately which I hadnt picked up from here. Happy days :)

Edited by MikeParkin65

Getting the 2019 Hornby Catalogue and Hornby February Hornby Magazine bundle for £9.99 has been a nightmare. W H Smith at Swanage had both the Catalogue and magazine but when I went to the till they charged me £12.59. I asked about the discount they had advertised. The assistant disappeared and a huge queue developed. After a few minutes he came back and said that the manager did not know anything about the offer and perhaps it just applied to larger shops. I told him that I would get them from somewhere else.

Next I tried Keys Publishing at shop.keypublishing.com Got as far as paying then a message 'This page cannot be displayed' 'Website has a programming error. Tried again 'We were unable to authorise transaction. Incorrect card number.' Tried again and payment of £9.99 was successful.

Picked up the 2019 catalogue along with the February Hornby Magazine for the combined price of £9.99 at my nearest Tesco an hour or so ago. The catalogue is huge at 196 pages and ends with the promise of big things in 2020 for Honby’s centenary.

It almost has the feel of a relaunch year for Hornby.

For the above posters who didn’t get the catalogue and magazine discount at WH Smith’s today, according to the Hornby Magazine website the discount at Smiths doesn’t start until tomorrow January 10th, whereas Tesco are starting it today. There was nothing to indicate the promotion in Tescos though, so thanks for the heads up on here.

Exciting items for me are the IEP Test Train Coaches to go with the R3579 Hitatchi liveried 2 car set, I didn’t really expect them to be produced to be honest. The Terriers, Rustons and Peckett B2s, and, if Hornby get them delivered to retailers well before Christmas, I think the GWR HST Train sets should do very well at that price.

Edited by AshleyH

• RMweb Gold

Picked up the 2019 catalogue along with the February Hornby Magazine for the combined price of £9.99 at my nearest Tesco an hour or so ago. The catalogue is huge at 196 pages and ends with the promise of big things in 2020 for Honby’s centenary.

For the above posters who didn’t get the catalogue and magazine discount at WH Smith’s today, according to the Hornby Magazine website the discount at Smiths doesn’t start until tomorrow January 10th, whereas Tesco are starting it today. There was nothing to indicate the promotion in Tescos though, so thanks for the heads up on here.

Exciting items for me are the IEP Test Train Coaches to go with the R3579 Hitatchi liveried 2 car set, I didn’t really expect them to be produced to be honest. The Terriers, Rustons and Peckett B2s, and, if Hornby get them delivered to retailers well before Christmas, I think the GWR HST Train sets should do very well at that price.

Thanks. Does the catalogue have any more detail than the website on specifications of models?

It seems that the initial excitement expressed about the new track rubber in the early posts on this thread is rapidly dying, I’m not surprised as I too am developing some concerns.

It looks far too light in colour to me and I think it is going to start looking shabby very quickly unless you make sure that your track has been thoroughly cleaned before you use it.

Also it gives the perception of being very thin. It is often difficult to judge these things from photos though, has anyone seen any published dimensions yet? If it is about 600 x 300 (2’ x 1’ in old money) it would suggest that it is about 50mm thick which might be OK I suppose.

I’m also hoping it is not too finely detailed, practically everything I have brought from the major manufacturers over the last couple of years seems to have bits drop off during normal handling. It was probably ever thus though, I have had my existing track rubber for several years and I’m sure I keep losing bits off it, I’d swear it is gradually getting smaller.

Should one assume that this is also Chinese, or are we looking at British production? I have in a small way assisted my daughter through university in the hope that she might just perhaps one day get a job making something like this, it would be a shame if she was yet again to be thwarted by Johnny Foreigner.

A little tip though, I heard Some Bloke on Radio 4 this morning (politician chap I think, so we can certainly trust him), he reckons that after March 29th we will be doing tariff free trade deals around the world, so I’m going to wait for the revised price list to come out in April when I reckon everything will be at least 10% cheaper.

Still, those GWR suburban coaches look really good, I’m going to stick my neck out and pre-order…..

Happy modelling.

Pete.

I already have a DOGA track rubber. 

And the only question that matters is whether it is mild and gentle and kind to your rails like the rubber I already have - or an excellent way of removing a coat of paint from the top after you have painted the rails  like Pecos

• Like 1

Does the catalogue have more details on the specification of the track rubber please?

• RMweb Premium

There is also the Elepant in the room as Oxford must be getting ready for some sort of announcement, possibly at the Toy Fair on the 22nd?

Mark Saunders

The Hornby mag mentions that it’s next issue will contain details of both Bachmann (14th Jan) and Oxford 2019 catalogue launches, so there must be something from Oxford soonish .