Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

Slightly away from the original topic of layout names but there was a layout on the Scottish circuit for a

while which featured a pub with the name "Cockwell Inn"

Another has a street scene with an undertakers business called "Auld & Dunne"

Jim

OK I own up, I was responsible for the "Cockwell Inn", a pleasant little tavern on the erstwhile Cumbernauld MRC "Exchange Square".

A Great station name was "Dreich" (a play on the real Breich), which sums up some Central Scottish Towns on a wet Sunday afternoon. (Dreich being Scottish for dull or depressing)

Jim

There was once a German railway in one of the UK magazines in the early 1980's that had a Fiddle Yard called Fingerpokenyard

At least when the certain towns with dubious spellings in the UK like the one in north Lincs and the town to the west of Sheffield are put into this forum they are not changed to **** unlike others. You can imagine what fun I had setting up a proxy server and ensuring it allowed access to sites in these places.

Real place name in Yorkshire not Bedfordshire

Land of Nod

OK I own up, I was responsible for the "Cockwell Inn", a pleasant little tavern on the erstwhile Cumbernauld MRC "Exchange Square".

A Great station name was "Dreich" (a play on the real Breich), which sums up some Central Scottish Towns on a wet Sunday afternoon. (Dreich being Scottish for dull or depressing)

Jim

I should have known it was you Jim but then again the membership roll of Cumbernauld MRC at that time contained a good few likely culprits, some of them still at large.

BTW "Dreich" is the name of a small halt on Renfrewshire MRC's "Carnochan" layout.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

........ and there's a few Peeovers in Cheshire, Upper, Lower, make up your own.

"Peeover Superior" on maps sounds like a way to disrespect the boss until you learn that it's pronounced "Upper Peever"

• RMweb Premium

I was once told that there's a town in Oz called Kickatinalong.

'fraid that one's an urban myth. Goes in the bin with New Zealand's Waikikamukau. Though Australia does have a few interesting names as many other countries do also.

A few years ago (well, quite a lot) Radio Solent broadcast a series of stories (read by Peter White) set in a quartet of Hampshire villages -East Boding, West Boding, Lower Boding and Boding Priory.

Together they were know as the Four Bodings.

Simon.

I do recall seeing 'Bow Locks' blink.gif

I do recall seeing a photo of a narrow boat some years ago with the sign ' Ponders end & Bow Locks' on it, which are both Locks on the river Lea, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I also built a small 4ft X 1ft 'N' Gauge layout about 5 years ago which i exhibited about 3 times called 'Mooron Road' which is No room backwards, as i had very little space available at the time.

• 1 year later...

I do recall seeing a photo of a narrow boat some years ago with the sign ' Ponders end & Bow Locks' on it, which are both Locks on the river Lea, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I also built a small 4ft X 1ft 'N' Gauge layout about 5 years ago which i exhibited about 3 times called 'Mooron Road' which is No room backwards, as i had very little space available at the time.

Some time ago, in an idle moment and quite independently of this posting, I dreamed up some rather juvenile (ie to me, hilarious) layout names, some of which I can still recall:

A North London Rly early version of 'Crossrail', the Bow Locks & Hampton Wick Extension Railway. (Hackney Wick would be geographically more plausible, I suppose)

A little known LBSC branch terminus, Bluebell End.

Personally, I lack the imagination to invent a credible made-up location for my layout, so perhaps I'll make do with a real place on the Preston-Ormskirk line: Sod Hall Crossing. No need for the Faller road system then.

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine called his Lancashire and Yorkshire Branch line terminues. ELLANWHY. At Exhibitions he was often asked which part of Wales it was set in. The replacement is called Newlandy.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

My last exhibition layout, a military range railway in Shropshire, was called 'Wrekin Havock'.

It's civilian alter ego, serving a sewerage works, was called the South Horton Irrigation Tramway.

Their replacement is to be called 'Pant Y Gwrdyl'.

I am not as flippant with with my up and coming P4 effort.

Regards

Richard

Don't forget 'Tyttenhanger Green' near St. Albans.

Also, (possible urban myth) the NY lawyer who named her Pekinese puppy.......Sosumi.

Stevenage & District MRC called their 4mm exhibition layout 'N.E.W A R E'

Cheers, Jeff

Archived