Peterborough North

great northern

..... but what is that in the Up bay? Nooooooo.... This is 1962, so the N2s have gone, let alone N5s and C12s. There probably wasn't another steam class available to act as pilot by then. I even know which loco it was - 68971. and which loco have Hornby just brought out? And with a 34E shed plate? And which just about everyone says is a lovely little model. More temptation.

Go on Gilbert, it's only a little loco and You know it will make you feel better....... :devil:

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-0-6-0t-j50-class-late-br.html

Better be quick however because they're all gone at Hornby.

P.s. Happy new year !!

Edited by The Blue Streak

given that Humorist was a regular Waverley Route performer I'm planning to convert one of my double chimney jobs with the addition of a pair of A2 deflectors and some new nameplates

Happy New Year to Gilbret and your many friends on here!

Hi Peter

A very Happy New Year to Yourself, Gilbert and everyone at RMWeb.

I see you intend to convert one of your double chimney A3's into 60097 Humorist, I did this about four years ago, she is one of my favourite A3's probably because I never saw her and so different from the rest of them.

I am not trying to preach in any way but don't make the mistakes I made either, just in case you are not aware its history.

I originally used 60039 Sandwich as a loco donor which has a 107 Boiler and I am sure that the handrails were split on the smoke box door and the front number plate lowered when or just after the boiler was fitted which was in 1962.

So I changed the identity again with a new A3 that had the correct a 94A boiler which 60097 had from 1946-Feb 1962, it also had a GN tender all of it's life.

I was lucky to get a pair of brass etched smoke deflectors from Ralph Jackson of Jackson Evan's which I believe now goes under the name of Modelmaster.

I have compared the smoke deflectors on my 60097 to a spare pair of Bachmann A1 smoke deflectors and there are some differences.

I have enclosed a small sketch showing these, for starters the smoke deflectors are about 2mm to long they would also need a minor bit of cutting away so they fit around a pipe (not sure what it is) that comes out each side if the boiler and goes down to the running plate, also you would need to infill a small square area about 3mm x 2mm indicated on the sketch.

Maybe the Bachmann A2 deflectors are more in line with the ones originally fitted to Humorist, but I do have a spare set of A1 smoke deflectors you could have if you need them.

I hope this is of help to you.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-96465400-1451643382_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-84432700-1451643405.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well Gilbert, with a bung knee and a nasty cough, hopefully the new year will bring about a change of health in short order. If it makes you feel any better I bought one of the 68971 examples today for later renumbering and new emblems, and I can send you the removed letters and late crest so you can say you have already got that number...

From what I have read and seen they are good lookers and runners, are you sure you couldn't do with one as a New Years resolution?

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Belatedly, a Happy New Year to one and all. I'm running a bit late today, as after a night of coughing I discovered at about 0700 that I was to be allowed to lie down, so I switched the alarm off and got a few hours rest. Very nice too.

Thanks to our Australian friends for piling on the temptation over the J50. Actually, I didn't need much convincing, it is a very nice model and there were two at New England in 1958, so to deny myself one would be taking purism to ridiculous lengths. The order has been placed.

• Like 3

Gilbert,

in much the same condition as your good self, so a belated Happy New Year to one and all.

About 4 years ago I  was also  lucky to get a pair of brass etched smoke deflectors from Ralph Jackson of Jackson Evan's  and I did have his home address in Coventry. I will have a search, but I fear when my computer crashed it was among the  information that I lost.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I see you intend to convert one of your double chimney A3's into 60097 Humorist, I did this about four years ago, she is one of my favourite A3's probably because I never saw her and so different from the rest of them.

I am not trying to preach in any way but don't make the mistakes I made either, just in case you are not aware its history.

I originally used 60039 Sandwich as a loco donor which has a 107 Boiler and I am sure that the handrails were split on the smoke box door and the front number plate lowered when or just after the boiler was fitted which was in 1962.

So I changed the identity again with a new A3 that had the correct a 94A boiler which 60097 had from 1946-Feb 1962, it also had a GN tender all of it's life.

I was lucky to get a pair of brass etched smoke deflectors from Ralph Jackson of Jackson Evan's which I believe now goes under the name of Modelmaster.

I have compared the smoke deflectors on my 60097 to a spare pair of Bachmann A1 smoke deflectors and there are some differences.

I have enclosed a small sketch showing these, for starters the smoke deflectors are about 2mm to long they would also need a minor bit of cutting away so they fit around a pipe (not sure what it is) that comes out each side if the boiler and goes down to the running plate, also you would need to infill a small square area about 3mm x 2mm indicated on the sketch.

Maybe the Bachmann A2 deflectors are more in line with the ones originally fitted to Humorist, but I do have a spare set of A1 smoke deflectors you could have if you need them.

Regards

David

You can get Humourist deflectors from 

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/136-ClassicTrainandMotorBus

post-7186-0-18222000-1451674041_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Peter

Regards

David

Just broken a new years resolution. Humorist on a running in turn would look so different

Belatedly, a Happy New Year to one and all. I'm running a bit late today, as after a night of coughing I discovered at about 0700 that I was to be allowed to lie down, so I switched the alarm off and got a few hours rest. Very nice too.

Happy New Year and I hope you're feeling better very soon!!  I hate chest infections at the best of times....

Thanks to our Australian friends for piling on the temptation over the J50. Actually, I didn't need much convincing, it is a very nice model and there were two at New England in 1958, so to deny myself one would be taking purism to ridiculous lengths. The order has been placed.

You're not the only one who succumbed to a J50 (or two, in my case).  Having looked at my 1959 Locoshed book and given that Hornby haven't done a J50/1 yet (I wouldn't mind one myself!), I'm guessing you've got yourself a J50/3 and it'll be 68976? :)

Look forward to seeing it in due course!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

@ David - I've PM'd you

Gilbert you really need to take care of yourself - I'm thinking a decent toddy could come in handy!

I'm OK thanks Peter. The antibiotics seem to be working, but preclude alcohol, and my knee is much less painful too. It is just the cough which remains a problem, but I know from you and others, including friends round here who've had this, that it can take weeks to go. Why though does it always start up just when bedtime is getting close?

• RMweb Premium

A lack of progress report. Last night the cough relented, and apart from the usual comfort breaks, I got a full night's sleep at last.  I fully intended to take some photos today, but near darkness prevailed, and I'm tired of trying to make something presentable out of long exposure images, so I didn't. Tomorrow looks to be even worse, with added rain, so may be equally unproductive. I'm not up to modelling yet, and not fit for golf, so more than slightly bored.

• RMweb Premium

That shot of Humorist really does show how much Peppercorn learned from his mentor.

Gilbert if you're bored, go see the New Star Wars movie - I'm told it is very good and if you saw the first one it is a very pleasant couple of hours!

If anyone out there really is bored, they are welcome to come and do some ballasting for me...

• RMweb Gold

If anyone out there really is bored, they are welcome to come and do some ballasting for me...

I hit the "Thanks" icon but really meant to say "Thanks, but No Thanks"

Mine's just about finished and I certainly don't want to repeat it.  :no2:

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Premium

Right G. Visit from No 1 son and No 1 grandson yesterday. No 1 son was impressed with the loft you will be pleased to hear; (he hasn't seen it since his initial assistance). I was showing him your thread and we noticed that PN on here started 6 years ago. Blimey, where does the time go?

We had a look at your trackwork and other stuff; much admiration I can tell you. Some amusement also about the 'Beast'!! Both really were impressed with your pics as well, especially those looking south, under the bridge.

After they had gone I spent some time looking through a lot of the 'story so far' and it made fun viewing. If you get bored, spend some time doing this even if you remember every page clearly.

Anyway, I shall be hoping to get your assessment of further pole requirements during this year matey.

You may also like to know that 'Mr. Grantham' is paying a flying visit to Duck Towers on Friday to advise on track laying (subtle and sweeping curves) through the Station area at SJ and on the Incline. Thus there will be scenics to get stuck into in the spring don't you know!

I'm also looking forward to the arrival of Honiton Tunnel (thanks Stubby) so plenty of greenery required around that G.

I need to discuss CWTs and operation with you soon as well so get that cough well and truly sorted and yourself back to full fitness. (Single Malt for comfort purposes).

Blessings for 2016.

Duck.

• Like 2

Thanks to our Australian friends for piling on the temptation over the J50

We have a horrible habit for tempting you, don't we ;)

Ah blow, reminds me I have to go have a look at those other bits you requested!

I'm OK thanks Peter. The antibiotics seem to be working, but preclude alcohol, and my knee is much less painful too. It is just the cough which remains a problem, but I know from you and others, including friends round here who've had this, that it can take weeks to go. Why though does it always start up just when bedtime is getting close?

Change of temperature or relative humidity in the bedroom?

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photo's of some of the really lovely buildings that help to identify the layout as Peterborough North. I look forward to seeing more photos of them. The buildings look so real.

With regards,

Rob.