Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a wobble, this may help.

I've only just thought of it today when another new model arrived with a slight wobble (not a Dapol!)

If my Dapol 52 still wobbles when she comes back from DCC Supplies, I'll be doing it myself this way.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128127-a-jig-to-line-up-wheels-on-axles/&do=findComment&comment=2923522

While everyone's experiences may vary, I have to report some evolutionary progress on the quality front with these models.

Having bought a bunch of them when first released I recall some grouchy sounding, crunchy mechanisms, occasional suspect wiring and cab glazing which appeared to have been sandpapered before fitting! Still, they ran ok, sort of, with a bit of a wobble etc.....

Fast forward to late 2017 and I bagged myself one from the recent clearance from a certain Sheffield emporium. Silky smooth motor, no wheel wobbles, almost silemt running and above all, a big leap forward in the quality of the glazing, now crystal clear and superbly fitted.

Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe Dapol QC is improving.

I'm very sorry, I thought I was helping somebody if they have a wobbly 52.

It seems I have simply offended people because they don't have tools.

What a sad world we live in, try to help and get hit by a wave of negativity :-(

Would you all like me to remove the post?

Edited by swiftbeam
  • Agree 1

What a sad world we live in, try to help and get hit by a wave of negativity :-(

It's a help if you have a lathe. Not everyone does, and not everyone has access to people with a lathe. It's a bit like putting pearls before swine.

• RMweb Gold

After some initial scepticsm of your early posts I’ve come to be quite envious of the tools, resource and knowledge you have access to, and the tenacity and time your able to dedicate of the route you go down to get a result.

I’m interested in seeing the outcome of your casting of a new grange chassis when it returns.

Additionally seeing how a lathe is possible at a reasonably cost efficient tool to acquire and how you initially solved the uneven wheel issue, I for one am becoming intrigued at your further posts.., it’s at minimum “refreshingly unconventional”, to those of us who consider a drill, files and a vice as essential tools.

If your next post was to pull out affordable personal injection moulding process to create new loco bodies from a std 220v supply that sits in a kitchen table i’m all ears !!! :-)

Please don’t stop,It certainly seems “extreme”, but I find it enlightening, if not broadening a horizon :-), at the same time i’m thinking you could monetise some of your solutions too.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Just ignore them. I found it interesting and I am sure many others do as well.

Roy

• Like 1

hallo,

I'd say you are helping somebody, although not everybody has access to a lathe and even if they did they may not have the skills. Like adb968008 I am envious pf people who have such skills, AND I agree with Geoff Endacott, in that the manufacturer should have the ability to produce wheels which are capable of the doing the job they're supposed to do

es grüßt

pc

Don't you dare remove your post! while like many I don't have access to tools like that it was fascinating and very valid to see how you fixed the issue.

Just a shame Dapol can't get it right at the start lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You know what the Dapol Western is a stunning model, I got one of the early ones and have had no issue with it.

Clearly from reading here there is an issue with the wheel sets and many skilled members have found ways to deal with it, and to their credit have shared that solution with us here.

Full credit to them for taking the time, that's what I thought this forum and others was all about.

For many of us, the heartbreak of finding our new models defective is unbearable and if like me you live in a rural location the relentless return process is very unattractive.

I have not had any issue with Dapol, but have very many with Hornby and a very few with Bachmann, I too have taken the trouble to share my findings and fixes and have also attracted the attention of those who for some reason feel it their duty to defend shoddy production and decry those who have a go, test and find a fix and then share it for the good of others.

I find this trend a disgrace to be honest, we are modellers and all have different abilities, if you can't or won't delve into your new model then send it back and ignore any hints and tips others offer.

Don't get on here and other places lambasting folk.

Have a nice day.

You'll have to excuse my flippant comment on the "fix" thread.

What you did and how you cured it is very clever.

You clearly have tools and skills beyond a lot of peeps on here (including me).

If you really want to see how bad the mindset/skillset is in some of the hobby, join the Non digital model railways group on F/B .

You'll have to excuse my flippant comment on the "fix" thread.

What you did and how you cured it is very clever.

You clearly have tools and skills beyond a lot of peeps on here (including me).

If you really want to see how bad the mindset/skillset is in some of the hobby, join the Non digital model railways group on F/B .

You are excused  :thankyou:

That FB group sounds like my version hell !

I hate small minded people that don't want to learn or better themselves.

You are excused  :thankyou:

That FB group sounds like my version hell !

I hate small minded people that don't want to learn or better themselves.

Hold up there brother! that particular forum is great for the very many of us who don't want to go dcc either due to cost (number of locos) or just not interested.

There are always characters on groups  :onthequiet: but overall its a place I am an ever increasing number of others have enjoyed.

2476 members at this point with at least 20 joining most weeks. Anyway, this is not about Westerns  :locomotive:  

• RMweb Premium

After some initial scepticsm of your early posts I’ve come to be quite envious of the tools, resource and knowledge you have access to, and the tenacity and time your able to dedicate of the route you go down to get a result.

I’m interested in seeing the outcome of your casting of a new grange chassis when it returns.

Additionally seeing how a lathe is possible at a reasonably cost efficient tool to acquire and how you initially solved the uneven wheel issue, I for one am becoming intrigued at your further posts.., it’s at minimum “refreshingly unconventional”, to those of us who consider a drill, files and a vice as essential tools.

If your next post was to pull out affordable personal injection moulding process to create new loco bodies from a std 220v supply that sits in a kitchen table i’m all ears !!! :-)

Please don’t stop,It certainly seems “extreme”, but I find it enlightening, if not broadening a horizon :-), at the same time i’m thinking you could monetise some of your solutions too.

What he said, please keep posting!

Hold up there brother! that particular forum is great for the very many of us who don't want to go dcc either due to cost (number of locos) or just not interested.

There are always characters on groups  :onthequiet: but overall its a place I am an ever increasing number of others have enjoyed.

2476 members at this point with at least 20 joining most weeks. Anyway, this is not about Westerns  :locomotive:  

Sorry, I think you have misread my reply.

I said "That FB group sounds like my version of hell !"  I didn't say it was hell.

If you like that FB group, that's fantastic and I wish everybody on it all the fun and happiness in the world on it, it just sounds like it wouldn't be for me personally, it's a personal choice thing. 

Just to clear that up, no ill feeling intended  :sungum:

Edited by swiftbeam

Sorry, I think you have misread my reply.

I said "That FB group sounds like my version of hell !"  I didn't say it was hell.

If you like that FB group, that's fantastic and I wish everybody on it all the fun and happiness in the world on it, it just sounds like it wouldn't be for me personally, it's a personal choice thing. 

Just to clear that up, no ill feeling intended  :sungum:

Cool beans old chap, no problem at all  :angel:

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just firing up D1074 Mr P - Western Pedentry .... hee hee .... thats D1039 not D1038! I know we now live in gender neutral times but the generic Sovereign wasnt good enough back in the 60s.....

Phil