Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

The other half of the test etch sheet for the Fowler 2-6-2T was taken up with etches for this.

attachicon.gif08-06 V4 3402 fl.JPG

The LNER V4 was an order for a customer, the usual parts were etched, not the boiler and firebox as usual. There were a number of serious errors/omissions in this etch, it was added in a bit of a hurry, and some modified parts have been added to the next test etch. We may have one (only one) of these for sale at Nottingham in March. If there is sufficient demand we'll put it into production as an aid to scratchbuilding rather than a complete kit .....

Even so, still a lovely piece of work.

I've finally finished building my B9 (although we have sold quite a few etches), all ready to run on Herculaneum Dock at Southampton this month.

attachicon.gifDSCF3778.JPG

Testing on the layout in unpainted condition.

attachicon.gif61475.JPG

attachicon.gif61475 br.JPG

The loco etch is still £30, as with most of the others no mouldings are provided. The tender is a full kit, only needs wheels and buffers, also £30.

Some news on the development front, test etch for 7mm PWM650 here now and in the queue to be built, etch design ready for Brush 0-4-0DE (D2999 and others) and Hunslet 14" 0-4-0ST. Hunslet 75T 0-6-0DE is a bit closer (and will be followed by the Scunthorpe Bo-Bo) to completion, also a second test etch here now for the Brush 0-6-0DE Tyne & Wear shunter.

Mike,

The words "Scunthorpe Bo-Bo" are music to my ears - great to hear this is coming - put me down for one!

Cheers

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

I'm sold on the V4, I have absolutely no use for one what so ever, but you would have to be heartless to not want one. Already have the money ready for the fowler 2-6-2t once there ready for sale. The B4 smashing model to.

Edited by farren

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I may be being dumb but is there auch thing as an online catalogue? I fancy having a bash at a few industrials in 2mm and am curious as to what is possible...

Hi

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Though you would need to contact Michael to see what is available or possible in 2mm.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I'd be tempted to have a go at a few things from that list including

230hp Sentinel 040

16inch Hunslet 060

Janus

Ruston 88ds

Out of that list we have one 88DS in stock, 0-4-0 Sentinel hasn't been done in 2mm yet, others out of stock.

We don't put the 2mm etches on the website, they are something of a sideline. All started from a request with pre-orders for the NER EF1 Bo+Bo, this went well so we carried on with it but a similar request for the Hunslet 05 left us with a lot still in stock. Email us (or send a pm with your Email address) and I'll let you have the full list of what's available.

More recent developments include this Hunslet:

post-1643-0-06368800-1455004599_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-24905700-1455004617_thumb.jpg

and a full size one new at Jack Lane in 1975

post-1643-0-21327800-1455004982_thumb.jpg

Hunslet built four of these for Normanby Park steelworks, essentially one half of a Scunthorpe Bo-Bo with a frame derived from the Rotherham 67T 0-6-0DH. Very nice to look at but they didn't work very well and didn't survive the closure of Normaby Park.

this test etch is dated 2007, it's taken a long time but is finally finished and should be in production this year.

On the 7mm front, the chain drive 4wh Sentinel is finished and new patterns made so this should be available about April.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some photos of the test etch Sentinel 4wh in 7mm scale.

post-1643-0-58554100-1455295572_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-77387400-1455295593_thumb.jpg

In 7mm scale the chain drive can be done properly, separate chains to each axle from a central final drive shaft. The easiest way to power this would be to fit a gearbox on the leading axle with a slightly offset motor. The sleeves on the sprockets can be reduced in length without significantly losing grip, if this is done the drive could be on the central shaft. Before anyone points it out I've put the chains on the wrong way round, I was in too much of a hurry to actually look through photos and guessed, 50-50 chance and I got it wrong! Compensation is with our usual system, the trailing axle is mounted in swinging arms and rocks under a knife edge, leading axle is fixed. Wheels are Slater's 3' 1" plain disc wagon 3122D.

post-1643-0-95709600-1455295622_thumb.jpg

view of control desk and set inside cab

post-1643-0-89937100-1455295644_thumb.jpg

The brake gear is a complicated mix of double pull rods for the leading wheels and push rods for the trailing ones. This was a leftover from the steam design and by all accounts a maintenance nightmare.

post-1643-0-28321300-1455295669_thumb.jpg

I usually leave one door open on these Sentinels, gives a good view into the cab and they were often left open as they are not very easy to move.

post-1643-0-12445400-1455295690_thumb.jpg

We expect to have this on sale about April.

• Like 16

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 7mm 4wh Sentinel is now on sale at £95 (£4 postage), first batch of 7mm Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST almost sold out, more due next month.

New 4mm kit this month is the Hunslet 562hp 75T 0-6-0DE

post-1643-0-72725000-1460618810_thumb.jpg

Price is £48 + £3.50 postage

We have had to increase postage this month to £3.50 for 4mm and 3mm kits, £4 for 7mm

• Like 4

Good Afternoon Mike,

I am just writing to enquire about the progress of the 0-6-0 Sentinel?

My mate Mike tells me that you had what appeared to be a 'First Draft' completed at Scalenorth. I know you were unhappy about aspects of the kit and wondered if you had cracked them.

I await news with interest.

Best Wishes,

Chris Pakes.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the first build is just about complete, needs sandboxes and the cab interior doing. Usually I only do one test etch but the complex casing shapes are going to need a second one, I'll build that with a proper height cab as one of the GKN locos. It will not appear this year in any case.

Better news for many is that we are about to order the production etches for the Kitson long boiler 0-6-0PT, Consett class A. We will definitely have this for Scaleforum in September.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to trying my hand on a Judith Edge "Clayton", as one is on the way courtesy of eBay. Some detailing parts are available from Heljan too. Hopefully it will be possibly to drive it a different way to just motor bogies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Mike,

The Scunthorpe bo-bo you refer to earlier on this thread, is that a 7mm kit? I'm not an industrial modeler, but living in Scunthorpe all my life, and with my father working on the steelworks, it would be a must have!

Rich

Edit: to correct the auto-correct!

Edited by MarshLane

• RMweb Premium

Almost all our kits start off in 4mm scale, other scales later. We are gradually extending the range of 7mm kits as and when I can find time to build them. We have just got some more 7mm Hunslet 15" 0-6-0STs in stock.