EBay madness

Marcyg

u

Listed in Model Railways & Trains>OO Gauge>Locomotives>

Round Bowl Matt Brushed Stainless Steel Inset Kitchen Sink & Waste Kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Bowl-Matt-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-Inset-Kitchen-Sink-Waste-Kit-M07-bs/162945215063?epid=1612737419&hash=item25f04aaa57:g:j7cAAOSw1m9aqN8D

Useful as a funnel for loading coal into wagons at exhibitions

• RMweb Premium

I presume that price is a joke or is he related to someone from Cartmel  :mosking:

Undamaged ! 

Look at the condition of the box.

Either a relation or an acolyte!

He's got a 'cheaper' one. (Described as 'new'  :scratchhead: )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAINS-MINERAL-WAGON-B-R-16-TON-AIRFIX-HO-OO-MODEL-KIT-DEL/200670605550?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49919%26meid%3Df459304012234b64a79f0f802531f5cd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D200670595344%26itm%3D200670605550&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Apparently there are variations in Airfix packaging which affect the 'value'. I thought it was a red band on the box that was pricey, but I could be wrong. not being a collector of these things. Collectors do prefer their items boxed and with the parts still attached to the sprue or, better still, in the cellophane wrapping* unopened. This fails on both counts.

I didn't buy a boxed one at £2.50 not so long ago....

This applies to vinyl records too - I wasn't aware that either ever came wrapped in cellophane. All the ones I bought back in the day lacked this IIRC.

Edited by Il Grifone

So it should always be OO as model railway scales follow letters not numbers.

Boy, do we go round in circles or what !

The original model railway scale/gauge combinations were numbers (and still are) from 3 to 2 to 1 in descending order of size, then a smaller size was introduced and had to be 0, then when a still smaller size was introduced it became 00 (or H0 for some) and when still smaller was needed 000 was introduced. [similar concept to paint brushes].

Note that back in those days we did not have computers and there was no difference in normal print or pronunciation between 0 and O.

when a size between 1 and 0 was needed then H1 was introduced (half one). But for some reason this was fairly soon changed to 'S' starting the fashion for scales following letters since when we have had N, Z, G, F and now T.

For 0, 00 and H0 it is now equally acceptable and common usage to use either letter or number as you may prefer even though the historical origin is numeric. They are only labels afterall.

There will be a thread arguing whether it's OO or 00 next!

There is already, if fact thought this was it when I started writing.

Regards

Edited by Grovenor

They don't do paypal - I'm out............

The No PayPal is "interesting", especially since it's SHOWN as available on the item page, as far as I recall eBay will likely enforce its use if you chose that option?? Maybe I'm wrong.

HOWEVER, since they state "May not post to United States" that's me out, DARN/RATS!!! :jester:  :O  :jester:  :onthequiet:

• RMweb Premium

That's an easy one though.

0 = Zero (or Nought)

O = A letter.

So it should always be OO as model railway scales follow letters not numbers.

So how does Gauge 1 fit in with that logic?

So how does Gauge 1 fit in with that logic?

I'm looking forward to the possible introduction of an experimental ultra-fine "O" Gauge - the track gauge would still be the standard 32mm, but all the check rail clearances would be tightened up. They could call it O-FFS.

Boy, do we go round in circles or what !

The original model railway scale/gauge combinations were numbers (and still are) from 3 to 2 to 1 in descending order of size, then a smaller size was introduced and had to be 0, then when a still smaller size was introduced it became 00 (or H0 for some) and when still smaller was needed 000 was introduced. [similar concept to paint brushes].

Note that back in those days we did not have computers and there was no difference in normal print or pronunciation between 0 and O.

when a size between 1 and 0 was needed then H1 was introduced (half one). But for some reason this was fairly soon changed to 'S' starting the fashion for scales following letters since when we have had N, Z, G, F and now T.

For 0, 00 and H0 it is now equally acceptable and common usage to use either letter or number as you may prefer even though the historical origin is numeric. They are only labels afterall.

There is already, if fact thought this was it when I started writing.

Regards

Solution = EM, no numbers, therefore no confusion :jester: Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1