A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

No little Peckers or Barclays on SOSJ............................................however, do not remind me to look at my lovely  and informative 'Hidden Railways of Plymouth' paperback!

ar$£

Just a reminder Ducky, you need to have a look at your lovely  and informative 'Hidden Railways of Plymouth' paperback!

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a reminder Ducky, you need to have a look at your lovely  and informative 'Hidden Railways of Plymouth' paperback!

Rob.

A propos nothing in particular, I found that book a little disappointing.

Still, you probably ought to have a look at it to satisfy yourself that you still find it lovely and informative.....

N. Aughtyboy

Look here you two, he distracts himself quite easily so don't encourage him. :nono: :nono: :no: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

No little Peckers or Barclays on SOSJ............................................however, do not remind me to look at my lovely  and informative 'Hidden Railways of Plymouth' paperback!

ar$£

Mr Duck,

I am NOT reminding you to have a look at said book on some industrial backwaters of Plimuff.

A. S. Tirer.

A propos nothing in particular, I found that book a little disappointing.

Still, you probably ought to have a look at it to satisfy yourself that you still find it lovely and informative.....

N. Aughtyboy

Ah!  But you're not an old Plymouth boy!  Had you been, you would realise what you had missed;  all those railway nooks and crannies filled with lines that went hither and yon.   Little tank engines shunting quays, jetties, even ocean terminals where awaited main line trains, ready to whisk rich Americans off to London.  Sometimes, not so rich immigrants to destinations unknown!

I was lucky to have seen it all in its prime and lthough I have an extensive library of books from the area, I can't resist any new ones that come along :cry:

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been asked to do a side by side comparison of the Hatton's Andrew Barclay and the Hornby W4 Peckett tanks and I'm happy to oblige here. Seen on shed at Tigley with 6417 also present.

That Pannier looks remarkably large and grown up next to those two.

• RMweb Gold

Ah!  But you're not an old Plymouth boy!  Had you been, you would realise what you had missed;  all those railway nooks and crannies filled with lines that went hither and yon.   Little tank engines shunting quays, jetties, even ocean terminals where awaited main line trains, ready to whisk rich Americans off to London.  Sometimes, not so rich immigrants to destinations unknown!

I was lucky to have seen it all in its prime and lthough I have an extensive library of books from the area, I can't resist any new ones that come along :cry:

Brian.

I had a very nice time living and working in Plymouth in the 1980s which prompted the purchase. It wasn't a lack of nostalgia that stopped me enjoying it, just that it wasn't very well written and the diagrams and photos weren't great

• RMweb Gold

I have just ordered from Amazon a secondhand book called “Plymouth Steam, 1954-63” by an author who shares my forename. Including postage to France it has cost less than £6. I will try to offer a view on the content, but suspect someone else here has a copy.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

I had a very nice time living and working in Plymouth in the 1980s which prompted the purchase. It wasn't a lack of nostalgia that stopped me enjoying it, just that it wasn't very well written and the diagrams and photos weren't great

I buy 'em all, Colin, good, bad or indifferent!  But I know what you mean!

Brian.

I have just ordered from Amazon a secondhand book called “Plymouth Steam, 1954-63” by an author who shares my forename. Including postage to France it has cost less than £6. I will try to offer a view on the content, but suspect someone else here has a copy.

Funnily enough, Ian, I have just finished rereading this book (for the umpteenth time).  It is a good one IMHO.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

ar$£

Silly Billy, it is titled Plymouth's Hidden Railways. I have just removed it from the pile of stuff SWMBO keeps hinting that it needs moving away from the table by the settee! Just opened it up and immediately there are two phots with B4s doing Quayside shunting.........no, I am not interested at all. Yes really....no interest!

I lived in Plymouth until 1966 and although I knew there were some 'hidden' lines and I was of course aware of the Dockyard System and down by Millbay, I never knew about most of the lines in this book! 

Phil

P.S. Silly joke: were Barclays ever used as bankers?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Silly Billy, it is titled Plymouth's Hidden Railways. I have just removed it from the pile of stuff SWMBO keeps hinting that it needs moving away from the table by the settee! Just opened it up and immediately there are two phots with B4s doing Quayside shunting.........no, I am not interested at all. Yes really....no interest!

I lived in Plymouth until 1966 and although I knew there were some 'hidden' lines and I was of course aware of the Dockyard System and down by Millbay, I never knew about most of the lines in this book! 

Phil

So then.The immortal words “ Do you want this....or can I shred it ? “ has a resonance vital to national security comparable to,GCHQ’s presence during the state visit of the Nabob of ANTB & distinguished entourage to the G&WR and its environs.We all have to stand up and be counted at some time or other.

• Like 2

So then.The immortal words “ Do you want this....or can I shred it ? “ has a resonance vital to national security comparable to,GCHQ’s presence during the state visit of the Nabob of ANTB & distinguished entourage to the G&WR and its environs.We all have to stand up and be counted at some time or other.

I did wonder who those strange chaps following me around all day were....

Phil

Its OK, Billy, these things happen and get worse as one ages, but we know what you meant!  As for Barclays, I have no idea, B4s certainly didn't which were about the same size but they ostensibly had a limit of eighteen wagons plus van, which must have been quite heavy coming up the bank from Bayly's wharf with wagon loads of sleepers.

• RMweb Gold

were Barclays ever used as bankers?

There were four of 'em at Bromsgrove and Midland men always used to say that just one of 'em could take 20 bogies up the Lickey on it's own, with just a shovel full of dust in the back corners.

They had eighteen of 'em at Yeovil Jct, which were put there at the pleasure of Ivan Petersfield and his chum, Norman Locksmith. Ivo would have a regular bet with Norman as to which one would be working the Sidmouth Goods on any given day. Poor Norman never realised that Ivan used to bribe the shed foreman at Yeovil to put his favourite Barclay 'Brunhilde' on that working.

That same diagram wot worked past SOS Jct then used to work a Wednesdays only pick-up goods (every second month with a 'G' in its name) down to Mutton and back. Not a lot of people know that.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a pity, old chap. I like the book and find it fascinating. The author does regularly appear here on RMWeb, by the way!

• Like 1