A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

You're a star, you're a star

A lamé suit and a new guitar

And I know that you'll go far

'Cause you're a star

You're a star, superstar

On you go, it's your finest hour

And I know that you'll go far

'Cause you're a star

Oh Robin, your layout is lyrical enough, you don't need the extra words!

• RMweb Gold

Seen the Argyle score Rob/Colin? WTF has happened?

P

You've turned a corner and are on the way up Phil. BTW we have just won 5 on the bounce, the first time in 20 years. :O

Hi All,

Was that ok then people? I hope you guys enjoyed the show!

attachicon.gif48CA49BB-5CBC-491B-86DF-AFF155BA0411.jpeg

All the best,

Castle

Absolutely brilliant especially given the time constraints.   Something that actually reflects what the hobby is all about at last.  Congratulations and wishing you success in the final.  

Frank

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

All the best,

Castle

Fantastic - though I think a few people here would have preferred the loco's with GWR on their sides or tenders  :jester:

And possibly some Snow or the Shed on fire after a German Bombing raid  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I have to mark you down on accuracy, I can’t see the bullet holes in the shed end which means it must be modelled before the end of the war and everything should be in GWR.... :P

Very good stuff though, I’d be interested to hear more about how the water towers were made

• Like 1

Hi All,

Glad it went down fairly well amongst the ANTB crowd. Target audience I guess! The water cranes are dead easy to make with some concentric brass tubes. Do we feel a layout thread would be good?

Sorry to disappoint Rich, but the bullet holes at Didcot are in the apex of the gable end of the lifting shop not the main running shed and that is behind the main running shed which is why they were not modelled! We flipped the position of the coal stage to fit like the example built at Southall so it’s a bit of a mongrel in that respect but it is possible to operate William Street Shed fairly prototypically. We have toyed with adding a representation of the end of the lifting shop to cover one of the exit / entrance points on the layout so maybe I’ll put the bullet holes in for you then.

The other pleasing thing to note is that the Little Didcot stock ranges from late GWR (No. 3822), through transition liveries (No. 4079 & No. 3650) to full blown lion and wheel era (No. 6023 and No. 5900) so if you don’t like the liveries on show at the moment, there will be another along in a minute!

The half shed also save a fair bit of time too! The locos are the stars (pun intended!) of the show on this layout so the shed roof would just get in the way!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic - though I think a few people here would have preferred the loco's with GWR on their sides or tenders  :jester:

And possibly some Snow or the Shed on fire after a German Bombing raid  :jester:

A lined-black County seldom offends...

The shed could very well been on fire with the gas-turbine sitting in it.

Hi All,

Glad it went down fairly well amongst the ANTB crowd. Target audience I guess! The water cranes are dead easy to make with some concentric brass tubes. Do we feel a layout thread would be good?

Sorry to disappoint Rich, but the bullet holes at Didcot are in the apex of the gable end of the lifting shop not the main running shed and that is behind the main running shed which is why they were not modelled! We flipped the position of the coal stage to fit like the example built at Southall so it’s a bit of a mongrel in that respect but it is possible to operate William Street Shed fairly prototypically. We have toyed with adding a representation of the end of the lifting shop to cover one of the exit / entrance points on the layout so maybe I’ll put the bullet holes in for you then.

The other pleasing thing to note is that the Little Didcot stock ranges from late GWR (No. 3822), through transition liveries (No. 4079 & No. 3650) to full blown lion and wheel era (No. 6023 and No. 5900) so if you don’t like the liveries on show at the moment, there will be another along in a minute!

The half shed also save a fair bit of time too! The locos are the stars (pun intended!) of the show on this layout so the shed roof would just get in the way!

All the best,

Castle

Oh yes!

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

All the best,

Castle

Brilliant stuff, Drew. Proper modelling and a proper model railway that old farts like me can appreciate.

You may have been constrained by the time, but what you did achieve during that time is a testimony to the experience and skill of you and your colleagues.

You deserved your win.

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

All the best,

Castle

Of course they are, that will teach me for trying to be clever!

I think a layout thread will definitely be worth while, what are the plans for it in the future?

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

All the best,

Castle

That looks great:  I have been unable to see any of the shows yet so I look forward to getting home and catching up via some electronic medium.  

So I'm trying to ignore any other posts about the GMRC.

But that's a great take on a shed layout.

Hi All,

Thanks again - No. 18000 was the first model I ever chronicled on RMWEB over on Little Didcot so if you would like to see the build, she is on there. I am a set of horns and windscreen wipers away from completing her British built sister No. 18100 for a friend so I will do a dose of that on Little Didcot on that when I have 5 minutes! They are both Silver Fox resin kits on Bachmann running gear - a Class 37 for No. 18000 and a Class 47 for No. 18100. Link below.

The plan for William Street Shed at the moment is to be continue to live at Fawley for now. We have had a request for it to appear at a local show. We will need to do a few bits to it to enable this to happen as the baseboards (no disrespect to the manufacturer) really aren’t designed to be moved about in one piece, the layout is not designed to be split up and just in being shifted about the museum are not fairing well so work is required. We would also like to bring it up to a far more ‘finished’ standard too so we will see. We are keen to do it though!

We also have some other exciting layout plans afoot too which we will reveal in future if and when they are more definite...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I hate to be a dissenting voice but the scratcbuild challenge was very poor.

Anyone will tell you that an industrial installation such as that requires anticlockwise valve wheels and Drew used clockwise!!!! How can you take modelling like that seriously?

Also that installation pre-dates the introduction of barbecue flavour Pringles so should have used sour cream and chive flavour

P. Kee

:) :) :)

Seriously I have been waiting to see a team build a proper model railway rather than a gimmick laden circus and you nailed it. You also produced something very authentic looking from nothing and deserved to win the scratch build challenge.

PS how about an RM Web guided tour of Fawley Hill ;)

Chee Kee

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Glad it went down fairly well amongst the ANTB crowd. 

All the best,

Castle

Even my SWMBO said she enjoys watching it, she's doing Tit of the Week competition so far 1st week Norman from GMM, 2nd week the presenter bloke with the beard, 3rd week Steve Flint.

So the presenters are winning (t)it(s) by 2-1 so far. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Thanks again - No. 18000 was the first model I ever chronicled on RMWEB over on Little Didcot so if you would like to see the build, she is on there. I am a set of horns and windscreen wipers away from completing her British built sister No. 18100 for a friend so I will do a dose of that on Little Didcot on that when I have 5 minutes! They are both Silver Fox resin kits on Bachmann running gear - a Class 37 for No. 18000 and a Class 47 for No. 18100. Link below.

The plan for William Street Shed at the moment is to be continue to live at Fawley for now. We have had a request for it to appear at a local show. We will need to do a few bits to it to enable this to happen as the baseboards (no disrespect to the manufacturer) really aren’t designed to be moved about in one piece, the layout is not designed to be split up and just in being shifted about the museum are not fairing well so work is required. We would also like to bring it up to a far more ‘finished’ standard too so we will see. We are keen to do it though!

We also have some other exciting layout plans afoot too which we will reveal in future if and when they are more definite...

All the best,

Castle

Thanks. Just had a quick look and I've decided to follow Little Didcot.

I've got a Q Kits model of 18100 that runs (poorly) on an old Hornby 47 chassis and an MTK 18000 waiting to be built. I've got an old American chassis for that, but I might use a more modern British one when I eventually get round to building it.

I hate to be a dissenting voice but the scratcbuild challenge was very poor.

Anyone will tell you that an industrial installation such as that requires anticlockwise valve wheels and Drew used clockwise!!!! How can you take modelling like that seriously?

Also that installation pre-dates the introduction of barbecue flavour Pringles so should have used sour cream and chive flavour

P. Kee

:) :) :)

Seriously I have been waiting to see a team build a proper model railway rather than a gimmick laden circus and you nailed it. You also produced something very authentic looking from nothing and deserved to win the scratch build challenge.

PS how about an RM Web guided tour of Fawley Hill ;)

Chee Kee

Hi All,

Funny you should mention a visit to Fawley for next year Mr Chee Key!I though the RMWEB fraternity might be interested so a group booking is in the works. Once I have a firm date ANTB will be informed. Negotiations continue...

Cheers for the kind comments - the industrial thing of crisp origins was presented to Phil, our team leader at the end of filming and now resides on a gantry above one of the sidings on his shunting plank. I take full responsibility for the incorrect usage of the barbecue livery and incorrectly directionded twiddly bits - I was trying to hide it under the weathering and hoped nobody would notice. I shall give myself a stiff talking to and recite three hail Churchwards...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 9

Even my SWMBO said she enjoys watching it, she's doing Tit of the Week competition so far 1st week Norman from GMM, 2nd week the presenter bloke with the beard, 3rd week Steve Flint.

So the presenters are winning (t)it(s) by 2-1 so far. :jester:

The biggest tit in episode one was in the Steam Punk team. He crashed a loco, spilt ballast everywhere and didn’t make it past the first commercial break!

Ash.

The biggest tit in episode one was in the Steam Punk team. He crashed a loco, spilt ballast everywhere and didn’t make it past the first commercial break!

Ash.

Hi All,

I’m just glad I didn’t make it very high up the list...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

I’m just glad I didn’t make it very high up the list...

All the best,

Castle

But you did wipe the smile off a very bias Steve Flints face he clearly didn't like what your team had done.