SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Just spoken to Hattons.  They're expecting them in December (BR livery)

Just back from my local shop in Colchester and they saw a Bachmann rep this week, who advised the BR Crimson livery versions are still on track for September delivery. I believe December is for either SECR or Southern livery versions.

Just back from my local shop in Colchester and they saw a Bachmann rep this week, who advised the BR Crimson livery versions are still on track for September delivery. I believe December is for either SECR or Southern livery versions.

..... not exactly what they circulated two days ago, then !

• RMweb Gold

Not a hoax

Here are a couple of snaps of my review samples taken quickly when I test ran them on High Wycombe and District MRS test track, the review of which, with proper pictures, will go live on my blog at http://www.grahammuz.com on Friday 8th Sept

post-243-0-15876900-1503591691.jpg

post-243-0-75534400-1503591703.jpg

See also https://twitter.com/GrahamMuz/status/897895390737035267

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 16

That E4 looks so handsome in wartime black! I'm holding off repainting my 473 incase Bachmann release one in black in the next year or so, can't wait to add Birdcages to my layout, I only preordered mine in January and am feeling impatient, goodness knows how some of you feel who preordered years ago aha

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed the BR version should arrive to retailers during September with the SR version to follow Oct/Nov and the SE&CR version Nov/Dec as far as the current information I have.

I've still got my doubts about this, Bachmann's version of BR's Crimson (Aka Carmine). It looks to be out of the same paint pot as that used by Hornby.

It needs to be brighter !

• Like 1

post-24481-0-82830600-1503990950_thumb.jpg

I've still got my doubts about this, Bachmann's version of BR's Crimson (Aka Carmine). It looks to be out of the same paint pot as that used by Hornby.

It needs to be brighter !

In natural daylight, the shade of crimson used by Bachmann looks ( to my eyes ) about right.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Red motor cars, painted decades later than this, often fade visibly, more than most other hues. Did crimson hold the same colour throughout its life? I doubt it. Looking at Michael Welch's 'Southern Coaches In Colour' suggests the shade varied. I will still be a customer. 

Edited by Oldddudders

Red motor cars, painted decades later than this, often fade visibly, more than most other hues. Did crimson hold the same colour throughout its life? I doubt it. Looking at Michael Welch's 'Southern Coaches In Colour' suggests the shade varied. I will still be a customer. 

Bachmann does seem to understand that to look right on a model, matching the original prototype paint chip exactly is not the answer.

It needs to be toned down a shade for a model, exactly as it appears here - and not as the latest Engine Shed states, which is why Hornby often looks too bright to be realistic and needs light weathering to bring out the best.

• Like 1

That E4 looks so handsome in wartime black! I'm holding off repainting my 473 incase Bachmann release one in black in the next year or so, can't wait to add Birdcages to my layout, I only preordered mine in January and am feeling impatient, goodness knows how some of you feel who preordered years ago aha

For some, me included, it's race between delivery from a Cheshire emporium & ours to the great layout in the sky..Peter

• RMweb Gold

But what if, like me, you are going to the "OTHER" place? :jester:

That would indeed be hell! But then an avatar showing a Dartford via Bexleyheath service might suggest you've already been there!

Edited by Oldddudders

• 2 weeks later...

With all due apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but are the bogies compatible with the near/contemporary LSWR corridor stock? If so, then methinks there could be a wider demand.

Scottest

Both had Fox's pressed steel bogies, but I believe that the bolster springing differed between the SEC, LSW, & LBSC applications - although would need to check.  Think the greatest difference was on the LBSC applications though.

Both had Fox's pressed steel bogies, but I believe that the bolster springing differed between the SEC, LSW, & LBSC applications - although would need to check.  Think the greatest difference was on the LBSC applications though.

Billinton on the LBSCR used Foxes Plate Bogies, rather than the pressed ones used by SECR.  LSWR used a variety of bogie types over the years.  Even if using the same bogie frame types, they could be different lengths (7ft, 8ft or 9ft wheelbase) between railways/stock.  The LSCR bogie first 7958 on the Blueebll runs on LNWR Foxes plate bogies, which has a different bolster arrangement from the LBSC Foxes Plate bogies, but few will notice the difference!  We were just lucky to be able to obtain a suitable underframe of nearly the right length to restore it!

Guest spet0114

Well these have appeared before I built mine as usual.

I might get a set of the SR ones and build mine as a BR set. Saves all that lining. :)

Jason

To be fair, these were announced in 2012 or 13. You've had quite a while to finish yours! :)