Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of Pilmoor. In C231, the unit is a true hybrid. Class 108 DMCL, then class 101 TSL, and TBSL, and class 104 DMCL. You can just make out the non vent window which is opposite to the toilet, and the different roof vents and tumblehome on that rear car which identifies which one it is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

Before I post today's photos can I once again thank those who point out my captioning errors. If the location or date look odd they are probably my typing errors, as are most loco classes (except dmus).  Now and then I type up for down and vice versa.

If all the images I post have file numbers which are close to each other then the date should the same for each of them, or at least very near.

Train workings are another matter, to those who regularly add information of train identifications and timings thanks very much.

Younger followers of this thread may not always realise just how little information was available to most enthusiasts when these photos were taken.  Obviously in pre-internet days there was no Real Time Trains site.  Working timetables were almost impossible to obtain, especially current ones so working out which train was which was often difficult.  It was even hard to obtain details of most special workings.

As you know, most of Dad's and my photos were taken by the lineside, not at stations.  

We usually had a copy of the latest public timetable and tried to work out the likely passing times for our location from the station times.  Of course if you got it wrong, or trains were out of sequence then you noted everything incorrectly.

Even headcode details were hard to obtain, Ian Allan did do an abc of 4 figure headcodes, but in practice it only gave the first two digits - train class and destination area.

In other words you generally went out, found a nice location and took photos of whatever turned up.

Now for the photos.

Today we have photos from visits to Pilmoor in four different years.

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 47 D1982 Kings X to Edinburgh Sept 67 J1130.jpg

Pilmoor Class 47 Kings X to Edinburgh? Sept 67 J1130

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 108 up pass July70 C231.jpg

Pilmoor Class 108 up pass July70 C231  are the centre coaches Class 101?

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 47 Kings X to Edinburgh Aug 75 J4544.jpg

Pilmoor Class 47 Kings X to Edinburgh Aug 75 J4544

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 37 37250 up empty coal Feb 83 C5966.jpg

Pilmoor Class 37 37250 up empty coal Feb 83 C5966

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 43 43084 down ex pass Feb 83 C5967.jpg

Pilmoor Class 43 43084 down ex pass Feb 83 C5967

David

Another excellent set of photos David. The mixed up DMU set is a gem. One loco identification point. I make the 47 in the first photo J1130 to be D1577. The loco is Vac only and D1982 would have been DB from new.

Thank you again for sharing this invaluable archive of photos.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Another excellent set of photos David. The mixed up DMU set is a gem. One loco identification point. I make the 47 in the first photo J1130 to be D1577. The loco is Vac only and D1982 would have been DB from new.

Thank you again for sharing this invaluable archive of photos.

Paul J.

Thanks Paul.

I realised it was wrong after I posted it, so I removed the number from the text beneath the image but RMWeb doesn't allow editing of the original uploaded image title..

David

1A36 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh - "The Heart of Midlothian" and should be Deltic hauled. The formation indicates it was the Saturday train and interestingly it utilised the London based Talisman set with a couple of TSO's on the back, which returned the following day on the 11:00SuO Edinburgh-KX.

1S99 is not in the WTT or carriage workings. Probably a special working.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Your comments on linesiding in this era are just so true! But wasn't it the joy of not knowing what would turn up that made the trips such an adventure?

For me its things like...

Warships at New Street and Bescot - oh and a Clayton and Baby Deltic at Bescot too, even if they were scrappers

A pair of D65xx at New Street too....D4 at Stourbridge....D200 at Worcester...Kings Cross with Deltics....the list goes on

Happy days! Only wish I had your photo record

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Your comments on linesiding in this era are just so true! But wasn't it the joy of not knowing what would turn up that made the trips such an adventure?

For me its things like...

Warships at New Street and Bescot - oh and a Clayton and Baby Deltic at Bescot too, even if they were scrappers

A pair of D65xx at New Street too....D4 at Stourbridge....D200 at Worcester...Kings Cross with Deltics....the list goes on

Happy days! Only wish I had your photo record

Phil

Phil,

It was indeed the unpredictabilty of what might turn up that made it so enjoyable.

When I go out taking photos now I usually know in advance what I will see,  I actually take fewer railway photos now even though (in theory) I have more time to go out now I'm retired.

David

Phil,

It was indeed the unpredictabilty of what might turn up that made it so enjoyable.

When I go out taking photos now I usually know in advance what I will see,  I actually take fewer railway photos now even though (in theory) I have more time to go out now I'm retired.

David

Very much the same here, Dave &  Phil.

Last year I took a grand total of 4 railway photographs. Unheard of, for me, when I used to take 250-350 a year and even recently have still averaged 100-150 a year.

I think that it's probably down to the lack of locomotive haulage these days, our age and the weather. Certainly I tend to go out less now than I used to, especially on bad weather days, and even when I do I'm much more picky about taking pictures - I've got enough shots on gloomy, damp, characterless days as it is.  :yes:

Phil,

David

This is why I no longer bother.

I had ten happy years photographing stuff in France for the same reason, chasing obscure stuff etc, now it's very much like here and very difficult to get round anywhere.

Anyone ever tells me the terrorists aren't winnning will get short shrift.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of Western and Southern Region photos. The class 120 has a characteristically weathered white roof dome, and it makes a contrast with the red lamp on the level crossing gate.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Any one got a time table for the ferry? I bet someone could make a good guess of the working from that.

Edit just thought, its probably a pleasure boat trip so probably irrelevant

It was probably taken in the late morning, but it was a very long time ago, so I'm not sure.   If anyone would like to work out the time from the shadows......

For ten years I didn't even notice the train in the background, it only got moved from the "general" slide boxes to the railway boxes in August 1981, when it was re catalogued.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was probably taken in the late morning, but it was a very long time ago, so I'm not sure.   If anyone would like to work out the time from the shadows......

For ten years I didn't even notice the train in the background, it only got moved from the "general" slide boxes to the railway boxes in August 1981, when it was re catalogued.

David

More importantly, Dave,

Which young lady on the Ferry is your ex-girlfriend?

(I take it that you missed the boat on that one)

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

More importantly, Dave,

Which young lady on the Ferry is your ex-girlfriend?

(I take it that you missed the boat on that one)

Regards

Ian

She was shopping at the time.

I wonder why it didn't last?

David

009 it is then..complete with RG a little earlier in the trip. The comment on Flickr which working it was is wrong -

https://flic.kr/p/brMyRV

Again, re C3230, that fits in with the diagrams reported on Chronicles. All of the other FP Deltics are eliminated by virtue of being on Anglo-Scottish diagrams, depot or works, apart from 18, which was doing a Leeds run in the opposite direction at the time that 1A14 was heading in.

"Alycidon" was reported as working 1E11, 08:50 Aberdeen - King's Cross, from Edinburgh, on 4th March 1977, then 1N24, 16:10 King's Cross - Newcastle on 5th. It's entirely feasible that, after arrival in London on 4th, she did an unreported run to Leeds, returning the following morning on the working that we now have two photographs for, as evidence.

Edited by 35A