RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

According to the IRS handbook 'Industrial locomotives of Central Southern England'

A and B were from Black Hawthorn, works numbers 352 and 375 of 1875.

C was Peckett 831 of 1900

D was Peckett 832 of 1900

No.1 and No.2 were Barclay fireless 0-4-0s 2473 and 2474 of 1932. No 1 may still be about somewhere.

According to the IRS handbook 'Industrial locomotives of Central Southern England'

No.1 and No.2 were Barclay fireless 0-4-0s 2473 and 2474 of 1932. No 1 may still be about somewhere.

Does anyone make the Black Hawthorns? Don't know why I'm asking really, except that I've got a family connection with H&P, as my big brother used to work there, so it's tempting even though I've got enough projects to keep me going for years already. No 1 still exists up North somewhere, and is privately owned. I was one of the last people to drive it at H&P, although only a few yards as I was quite young at the time!

Does anyone make the Black Hawthorns? Don't know why I'm asking really, except that I've got a family connection with H&P, as my big brother used to work there, so it's tempting even though I've got enough projects to keep me going for years already. No 1 still exists up North somewhere, and is privately owned. I was one of the last people to drive it at H&P, although only a few yards as I was quite young at the time!

Yes - High Level kits. An excellent range, though I haven't built this particular one.

http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/Pages/blackhawthornpage.html

Adam

No1 as far as I am aware is still dumped on the Bamfords' farm near Leeds, having managed to narrowly avoid a cosmetic restoration and being put on display in Reading!

More to the point, a great improvement over locos which were essentially designed and specified as toys, thirty years ago

TBH I'd much rather have the toy one! Had they released a less-detailed version at around the £40-£50 mark anyone who wanted a model Peckett would still have bought it and it would have been more accessible to 'Juniors' moving on from the Thomas range.

At that price, I would have jumped at the H&P version - but at £80 for something that doesn't 'fit' with the rest of my stock, it's not so easy to justify. It certainly makes it a lot harder to justify buying a second one to "bash" into NGB1!

• RMweb Gold

That will be irresistible if they do one in Huntley & Palmer livery - no use whatsoever to me but definitely one to buy and invent a tale to justify it!

I really don't mind what liveries they come out in. I'm definitely going to per...pick up a Peckett.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I really don't mind what liveries they come out in. I'm definitely going to per...pick up a Peckett.

Don't you mean per..p.p..per...p.p..per...buy one?*

As for liveries, I think Hornby will look to maximize sales so every livery that can be authenticated (and probably some which can't) will get their day in the sun (at least I hope so).

(* Arkwright, Open All Hours)

• Like 2

Is there any indication ( other than price) that it will not have the same high geared erratic rocket motor from their 040 Holden Tank? I may have missed the specifics o apologies if this has already been leared up.

Regards

Is there any indication ( other than price) that it will not have the same high geared erratic rocket motor from their 040 Holden Tank? I may have missed the specifics o apologies if this has already been leared up.

Regards

Without checking the specifics right now I'd say the sentinel is an indication, a beautiful motor in a similar size loco, it would be a monumentally silly thing to do if they did put the Holden motor in it. This is to be a high quality model to today's standards, not a cheap model by 1980s standards like the Holden tank. I don't think there is any worry that it will have that motor.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the main issue won't be the motor, as such, but what the gearing will be. To give it something like 100:1 for really good slow running might be a bit much (and lead to a high pitched scream at its highest speed) but then again a 30:1 or 40:1 might just be a bit too fast and not smooth enough at slow speed. Might I suggest a 50:1 or 60:1? What might Hornby actually use?

Regards

I think it's been mentioned before a lot. Hornby's older 0-4-0 models have all gotten an upgraded chassis. All now have much tamer and more realistic running qualities. So I doubt there's any need to worry especially over a newly tooled model. And going by the Sentinel I have no reason to believe Hornby will cock it up. Hornby produces some quality mechanisms and I don't think they'll make a mess of this.

• Like 1

Aha. The law of sod applies again.

Bet they won't do this livery though!

attachicon.gif2015-01-24 21.40.19.jpgattachicon.gif

They did try that livery out at colliery near to me.

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/show/2698/NCB-Shotton-Colliery

According to an ex colleague who was an apprentice at Shotton colliery when Stagshaw was yellow, it was nicknamed the "Black Banana".

• Like 1

I think the main issue won't be the motor, as such, but what the gearing will be. To give it something like 100:1 for really good slow running might be a bit much (and lead to a high pitched scream at its highest speed) but then again a 30:1 or 40:1 might just be a bit too fast and not smooth enough at slow speed. Might I suggest a 50:1 or 60:1? What might Hornby actually use?

I have a HighLevel Neilson pug that runs with a 108:1 gearing. It does not scream, it just trundles along at a very appropriate pace. :angel: But then I don't use it for express passenger work either....

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

Thanks all. I have one of the newer (3yrs old) Holden tanks, and it is a complete dog despite dcc and stay alives. (and endless work) Some lumpiness in the motion which seem related to poor quality fitting of worm gear and driving wheels.

So I am very glad that if the sentinel is anything to go by the new tank should be just fine.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's very nice to finally see a proper Wee industrial pug. I'm concerned about the running qualities of such a short wheelbase. Proper gearing is one thing but a flywheel is almost essential to help such a tichy thing over the points. Will there be room to put one in?

It's very nice to finally see a proper Wee industrial pug. I'm concerned about the running qualities of such a short wheelbase. Proper gearing is one thing but a flywheel is almost essential to help such a tichy thing over the points. Will there be room to put one in?

If the engine is given a decent gear ratio a flywheel would have to be quite large to have any impact at all. The trick would be to have some form of compensation so all wheels are in contact with the track at all times and get rid of the insulfrog points. Insulfrog is a concept that is well past its 'sell by' date and should be towed out to sea and sunk.

(Puts on tin hat and flak vest)

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

If the Sentinel is anything to go by there shouldn't be any problems.

It does seem to depend on the chassis setup and weight of the model. I have a 4 wheel inspection trolly in HOe which runs faultlessly but I also have one of the Wee Lilliput 4 wheel diesel shunters which I just cannot get to run right. There's very little weight in it.