GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

Teal Green? Are you just describing the colour because I seem to recall when the new GWR green livery was revealed a press release was put out saying the colour was specially mixed for GWR and is called 'GWR Green'.

*Hmm, not sure why it's not quoted that properly

Teal Green is the name of the paint that's used. 

Edited by scoobyra

I wrote to Hornby to inquire would etched plates be produced with the limited edition, with example given to Bachmann's 57603. Sadly they could not confirm as development has yet to start. 

Perhaps if a few more of us lobby for this, then we shall be rewarded.

I wrote to Hornby to inquire would etched plates be produced with the limited edition, with example given to Bachmann's 57603. Sadly they could not confirm as development has yet to start. 

Perhaps if a few more of us lobby for this, then we shall be rewarded.

Eh? What etched plates? The current artwork on Hornby's site shows the power cars included would be 43187 and 43188, neither of which are named.

That said, as I've posted before, since it is a limited edition I think it would make more sense to do 43041 (the only named one in the new GWR livery) instead; or if they are doing 43188/187 s a limited edition to do them with the Welshman branding.

• RMweb Premium

Eh? What etched plates? The current artwork on Hornby's site shows the power cars included would be 43187 and 43188, neither of which are named.

The GWR logo is in raised metal on the real things so could (should?) be an etch on the models to look correct.  

The GWR logo is in raised metal on the real things so could (should?) be an etch on the models to look correct.

Ah, I took 'plates' to be short for 'nameplates', so appologies to 159220 if it was the GWR logo that was refered to. I am well aware that the GWR logo on the power cars is raised metal (but never thought of this as plates). Etched letters for the GWR logo would certainly seem like a good idea, they do need to be 3D (and not just printed letters) to accurately model it.

With the RRP it 'should' come with etched representation of the 'GWR' to compliment the model.  But with Hornby trying to save money it probably wont... 

I hope Hornby do watch this thread and listen (or more accurately read and digest)!  

If they DO! My comments (positive feedback would be):

LEAVE the GWR crests for the modeller to fit (Locomotion VTEC NRM set the nameplates were a bit wobbly and glue mark), and please include a fitting jig as per Bachmann.

DO NOT Do them in plastic (all past locos with Etched plates from Hornby are printed plastic, not etched!!!!)

And finally - As per my earlier message have a little faith in yourselves and spend a few extra pounds producing a Mk3 First Class in GWR.  They will sell and you will make MONEY!  Its only a few decoration changes from a Standard Open!

Regards.

P.S. Anyone from Hornby who wants to PM me, please do so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the RRP it 'should' come with etched representation of the 'GWR' to compliment the model. But with Hornby trying to save money it probably wont...

I hope Hornby do watch this thread and listen (or more accurately read and digest)!

LEAVE the GWR crests for the modeller to fit (Locomotion VTEC NRM set the nameplates were a bit wobbly and glue mark), and please include a fitting jig as per Bachmann.

DO NOT Do them in plastic (all past locos with Etched plates from Hornby are printed plastic, not etched!!!!)

And finally - As per my earlier message have a little faith in yourselves and spend a few extra pounds producing a Mk3 First Class in GWR. They will sell and you will make MONEY! Its only a few decoration changes from a Standard Open!

Regards.

I am sure they will appreciate you shouting at them.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

With the RRP it 'should' come with etched representation of the 'GWR' to compliment the model.  But with Hornby trying to save money it probably wont... 

And finally - As per my earlier message have a little faith in yourselves and spend a few extra pounds producing a Mk3 First Class in GWR.  They will sell and you will make MONEY!  Its only a few decoration changes from a Standard Open!

Regards.

Try it the other way round...as you would see if you read through this thread.A line of communication is open should you choose to use it discreetly,

I am not shouting, SORRY to anyone who takes my use of capitals in this manner, I were just putting emphasis where needed.  I have locomotives with so called 'Hornby Etched Nameplates' and a wonky VTEC 'NRM' nameplate with slight glue marks! People in companies want facts not fiction-Model railways are a business.  Nothing was said in a derogatory manner, just as positive feedback.

Most of the thread raises issues about the price, the livery being wrong based on a photo montage, debates on the correct shade of green and the future of GWR HST's.  All I have attempted to do, is summarise what Hornby can do to make the best possible model, based on past purchases and experience. I have been looking forward to Hornby producing a GWR HST and have ordered one.  Personally I think it would be a shame if the model came out with a plastic 'Etched' "GWR" and glue on the body.  Like I originally said - positive feedback.

I'm saying nothing more on the matter.  I'll just wait and see when the model comes.  

Teal Green? Are you just describing the colour because I seem to recall when the new GWR green livery was revealed a press release was put out saying the colour was specially mixed for GWR and is called 'GWR Green'.

*Hmm, not sure why it's not quoted that properly

Teal Green is the name of the paint that's used. 

Isn't Teal Green the colour Midland Mainline sets were painted in ???

"Teal" green it definitely is not ! Had a scout in the depot paint cupboard today to see a make and code on the tin only to find we don't actually have any ! Just a small tin of the door silver and that only had a handwritten label on it. Shall make some enquiries in the week. Looking at our 57 fleet, the older the paint, the bluer it gets (could just be our sea air !) .

• RMweb Gold

"Teal" green it definitely is not ! Had a scout in the depot paint cupboard today to see a make and code on the tin only to find we don't actually have any ! Just a small tin of the door silver and that only had a handwritten label on it. Shall make some enquiries in the week. Looking at our 57 fleet, the older the paint, the bluer it gets (could just be our sea air !) .

That was the colour name given to me by the people that painted it! It's got a lot of blue in it too which gives it that odd undertone.

Can you do some digging for me and find out please?

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Saw the drawing for a 158 this morning, it's GWR Green full gloss, there is no RAL number, the paint manufacturers number is NCS-8010-B70G.

Which is probably not a lot of help.

Nice one thanks. Got some good results searching for that code. While you're at it, is there any chance you could do the same for the FGW blue please?

Edited by scoobyra

Nice one thanks. Got some good results searching for that code. While you're at it, is there any chance you could do the same for the FGW blue please?

Give me an hour and I'll send you the details. The actual paint colours were known as 'Golden Wonder Blue' & 'Rubine Red' - Note, Blue and Rubine Red not Purple and Pink as the livery is often refered to as.

Rich

Having purchased Bachmann's GWR class 57 I must say that I personally think that they have got the colour spot on. If Hornby can match that then we're on to a winner. Also, the 57 supplied with all relevant etchings/plates if Hornby do follow and supply this HST with metal etchings too, it'll be well worth the effort! And agree with an earlier post, a 1st class MK3 would be much appreciated Hornby and can't see why it wouldn't sell in volume.

**edit - be nice if they supplied the little brush traction plates too! **

Edited by Shoey

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have told everyone they have announced a conservative range this year due to them still getting out of the financial troubles. The Mk3 1st Class and tourist Class are identical in all mechanical respects. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for you to change the coach number and add the relevant markings for a first class coach. We are called modellers for a reason!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have told everyone they have announced a conservative range this year due to them still getting out of the financial troubles. The Mk3 1st Class and tourist Class are identical in all mechanical respects. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for you to change the coach number and add the relevant markings for a first class coach. We are called modellers for a reason!

Edit: deleted as didn't read it properly.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge