GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

Having purchased Bachmann's GWR class 57 I must say that I personally think that they have got the colour spot on. If Hornby can match that then we're on to a winner. Also, the 57 supplied with all relevant etchings/plates if Hornby do follow and supply this HST with metal etchings too, it'll be well worth the effort! And agree with an earlier post, a 1st class MK3 would be much appreciated Hornby and can't see why it wouldn't sell in volume.

**edit - be nice if they supplied the little brush traction plates too! **

The Bachmann green isn't right, it doesn't have enough blue in it. It'll be interesting to see what the real paint looks like when it turns up and how it compares to the Bachmann and Hornby colours.

• 1 month later...

I think the gloss effect makes it look tacky. A matt-satin standard finish is far more preferable for a scaled model. I wonder can I be supported or not through a poll?

What is disappointing, is the GWR plates are not to be etched. I personally would much prefer these were etched (ahla Bachmann 57 in GWR) than a gimicky gloss.

Seeing as 187/188 are expected to see service well into the future with GWR and Oxford Rail shall more than likely deliver the sliding doors then I much rather any collector who wants a gloss finish do so in their own shed time.

When shall the gloss finish decision be finalised, as I shall need to know whether to cancel my order or not ASAP. If gloss is chosen, can it be confirmed Hornby would produce more GWR HSTs in to the future to support modelling of the HST GTI sets?

• RMweb Premium

We haven't actually mentioned the 'GWR' nameplates yet, so to head off any misplaced rumours, we will be producing etched GWR nameplates to be included in the pack. The printed GWR plates are just under scale, so that the etch can be placed over them.

I'll happily answer any further questions on this via the PM facility.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The question of gloss vs. matt is a difficult one. High gloss looks a bit toy like but on many models matt finishes look flat and dull and unrealistic unless accompanied by weathering. A semi-gloss finish works best, one of the reasons I like HO brass models so much is that their semi-gloss lustre is so good and captures the fresh finish of paint far better than most rtr. For this HST I think it needs to have a degree of gloss, I think the pictures look promising.

If the gloss finish is done similar to the gloss finish Hornby used for the NRM Flying Scotsman then it should look like a fresh paint job straight out of the paint shops

Edited by NickC

• RMweb Gold

Well no-one can say that Hornby aren't trying to get things right (which is more than I can say for a number of other well know manufacturers).

The gloss green looks pretty good and with the decision to make the roof matt, it kind of works quite well. Personally, I'd like to see the roof in satin (because the real effort is gloss) and after speaking to Paul at Ally Pally, I may be able to convince them to try it. 

There's were a few errors with the body shell, such as the earlier power car windows showing through the moulding and the fact that the cooler group seems to have acquired two fans instead of one (we're in the process of checking this).

The main thing to come out of this though is Hornby's willingness to engage their customer base which can only be a massive tick in the box for customer relations!

Personally, I think Hornby need to go a couple of samples for themselves (not the 900 production models!) and see what works best....  Sometimes following prototype on a model can look totally wrong.  Whilst the main body looks 'shiny', the end stripe appears to feature a much 'duller' finish to it. Not sure how that would translate in a model.  Maybe a high sheen satin, with the end stripe printed afterwards?

Personally, cannot say a full Gloss finish would do much for me - think Hornby need to do the best they can to represent the prototype.  These sets are expensive and the quality needs to reflect it! 

Regards.

There is a clear contrast on the real thing between the gloss sides and a much more matt roof. in model form, this is much better represented by high satin sides and satin/matt roof. High gloss models just don't work for me - the reflections look wrong, and the prototype with surface imperfections is never as smooth, especially from normal viewing distances, meaning that there is a degree of diffusion of reflected light. This effect is best captured by a satin finish, and a clever variation in finish from high satin to matt.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be an option for Hornby to go ahead and produce these limited edition power cars in gloss and later on release a standard production run with different power car numbers (43005/43041 perhaps??) in their 'usual/standard' paint finish.

It may be an option for Hornby to go ahead and produce these limited edition power cars in gloss and later on release a standard production run with different power car numbers (43005/43041 perhaps??) in their 'usual/standard' paint finish.

Also 43194 and 198 now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Straight from Kernow Models. ''Hornby announce a First Open Mk3 in GWR Green in response to demand, expected July this year OO Gauge''http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/57877/R4815-Hornby-Mk3-Coach-First-Open-TFO-number-41146-in-GWR-Green

Which proves a point doesn't it ? That being Hornby does listen......Thank you Islesy and colleagues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With some 24 power cars being modified for the HSTGTi sets in green, this would make sense !

I've missed this. What is the HSTGTi? Are these sets continuing on after the IET comes in?