• RMweb Gold

I agree/disagree with some of the things that have just been said, but the reductive quality of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the inherent overspecificity.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the subaqueous qualities of the purity of line makes resonant the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

I agree/disagree with some of the things that have just been said, but the reductive quality of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the inherent overspecificity.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the subaqueous qualities of the purity of line makes resonant the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

post-20303-0-18050700-1518816128.jpeg

post-20303-0-67968600-1518816115.jpeg

DicK Shunary

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have missed something

What's happening with the model making ?

All in good time... I hope  :good:

I've been rather struck with this as an 'idea' for the end bit, it's Chingford I believe, found on Faceache.

post-1328-0-44134400-1519049990_thumb.jpg

Loco, 'coaling up' from the wagon, with a siding beside (coal merch or end loading dock?).

Will have to fire up the old Templot (and update it).  If I CBA, I'll have a go with copperclad, vero pins, plastic and brass chairs (with most ideas ;) stolen from yourself good sir*).

*No liability implied

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So much detail in that photo.

The signal cabin with the curved toof, the little shed with the door opening right onto the track, the oil drums and broken seat on the platform, the underplatform ironwork and possibly ex-point-rodding provision, the advertising signs where no one would ever walk, the fire buckets hung out of reach.

Really wonderful stuff.

All in good time... I hope  :good:

I've been rather struck with this as an 'idea' for the end bit, it's Chingford I believe, found on Faceache.

attachicon.gifChingford.jpg

Loco, 'coaling up' from the wagon, with a siding beside (coal merch or end loading dock?).

Will have to fire up the old Templot (and update it).  If I CBA, I'll have a go with copperclad, vero pins, plastic and brass chairs (with most ideas ;) stolen from yourself good sir*).

*No liability implied

Martin Wynn told you about vero pins, thanks for giving me the credit though. Sorry but with the exception of a few examples I just cannot understand why folk still persist with copperclad except in very few cases.

The first now being cost, its so expensive !!

Then you have to cut slots in them

Followed by filling in the gaps

If you want to use chairs (lets face it who dosent !!) the rail needs lifting up from the timbers

Then you have to fit all those half chairs (which fall off during track cleaning activities)

I do like the Chingford plan though, looks very interesting   :good:  

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but with the exception of a few examples I just cannot understand why folk still persist with copperclad except in very few cases.

Some of us are still very loyal to copper clad, and here's why:

The first now being cost, its so expensive !!

Fair point, but if you keep your ear to the ground, you can get some bargains. I stocked up a long time ago, so fortunately that's not a problem.

Then you have to cut slots in them

Not a major problem with a disc cutter.

Followed by filling in the gaps

Only if you leave obvious slots in the middle of the sleeper. In many cases, you can cut the gap right up close to the rail, so it will be hidden by the chair later. Alternatively, what I do for knackered old track, is to use the disc cutter creatively to introduce longitudinal (long diagonal, really) slots, which can be creatively done to represent rotting timber etc. Otherwise, I'm happy to use a bit of filler for those gaps that still remain visible/obvious.

If you want to use chairs (lets face it who dosent !!) the rail needs lifting up from the timbers

There is a cunning plan being evolved at this very moment to deal with this, involving etched brass.

Then you have to fit all those half chairs (which fall off during track cleaning activities)

This, I find, can be very theraputic, or certainly reasonably theraputic (or marginally theraputic, depending on circumstances and how much brandy you have left). Seriously, I don't mind doing all that and I try to ensure that the area to be glued is spotlessly clean before I put the small dollop (technical term) of epoxy in place. Chairs only fall off rarely, because the track cleaning equipment shouldn't really be reaching down below the top of the rail head.

I've tried plastic chairs on plastic sleepers and without the occasional strategic copperclad sleeper to bolster the construction, I have had rails expanding too much in very warm exhibition halls. I've never had a soldered point go out of kilter, ever.

I take much comfort by the solid, reliable construction that soldering makes possible.

I always clean and usually distress the surface of the sleeper before soldering. The distressing, with some wet & dry, can impart a wood grain, where this is needed. I do find, though, that when looking at real sleepers from 'normal viewing distances', it isn't usually possible to discern the wood grain.

I've got to go and make the tea now.