Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Snow has finally reached the West Sussex coast this evening. All our Class 313's have been given today and tomorrow off confined to barracks.

Edited by John M Upton

And is still on the A31 150 mins later, still trying to get to the M27. Has moved a few metres in the last hour. 

Just hope when she finally  gets there, the ferry hasn't been cancelled (with memories of a trip of mine last October, just as a gale struck the Channel).

And is still on the A31 150 mins later, still trying to get to the M27. Has moved a few metres in the last hour. 

I'm not surprised, most local roads are like skating rinks. The A35 between Dorchester and Bere Regis closed a few hours ago.

Just had this picture from a colleague trying to get back to Berwick upon Tweed after a 2 day conference in Doncaster. We left him on the train with the prospect of a night in a hotel in Newcastle but he managed to get on a snow plough heading north. Frustratingly they made Almouth but without authority to proceed had to set back south. He's now back in the hotel in Newcastle with another attempt to get home in the morning!

post-7305-0-20808300-1519942092_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Well I’m off on snow plough duties later, 97s crewe to Aberystwyth and back to shrewsbury

Unfortunately they are removing the beilhack ploughs they are currently attached to doing a run to Buxton so I’ve got to use the miniature ploughs instead

Been looking at webcams for aber and Mach and it doesn’t seem too bad down there at the mo

Saw the plough for Buxton sitting in the siding at Hazel Grove on 97 302 IIRC. After we sat at Hazel Grove for a while it pulled alongside, then went back. Eventually the report was a train further along somewhere stuck in a drift, and no bus company would move people onwards, so I had a nice 8 mile stroll back home (via a couple of pubs).

• RMweb Gold

BBC News just reporting that the stuck traffic on the A31 is now a ‘critical incident’ and that the military are being called in. Hopefully safety and warmth will be on the way soon.

• RMweb Gold

Just heard from Sherry that she reached Portsmouth Travelodge about 02.30 GMT. I am very relieved! A not very fit lady approaching 68 is a bit vulnerable!

Thanks for all your support, especially the particularly kind member who sent me an informative PM.

My fear is that there will be others with far worse problems.

• RMweb Gold

As such, I certainly do not need to know that and CTMK even less so, lest she decide to make one such abomination! ;)

Much like carrot cake, it's a VEGETABLE NOT CAKE!

Ended up finishing at 03.15 as the night turn got stuck and took nearly 40 mins to walk home!

Weird weather !! At 3 o clock yesterday afternoon it started to snow heavily, at 7 it turned to freezing rain, it still is, like little sharp needles hitting you, and the wind is so bitterly cold. The 4 inches of snow turned to ice, the East side of our house, and garden fence has a coating of ice, the road outside usually busy with people going to work is silent, and like an ice rink, no planes overhead, usually there is quite a bit of military helicopter traffic in this area - but none now. The western end of the A31 is about 1/2 a mile away usually you can hear a slight hum/ little noise from the traffic at 'rush-hour' - but nothing, like a Sunday morning. 

• RMweb Gold

Good morning folks, hope you are all well.

From here, I've got a good view of the M4, and the traffic seems a steady, reliable 50mph. Overnight Newport had a bit, but it's stopped now. I might venture out for a loaf of bread. I steadfastly refuse to panic over this: everybody has a deep freeze these days.

Keep safe, people.

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Weird weather !! At 3 o clock yesterday afternoon it started to snow heavily, at 7 it turned to freezing rain, it still is, like little sharp needles hitting you, and the wind is so bitterly cold. The 4 inches of snow turned to ice,

Yep there was ice on the snow as I walked home at 0400, S&T and P-way had been out in it for hours clearing snow from points so we had all trains back in by 0200ish.

Out of four crossovers to the depot only one kept working and that was one that needed shunt acceptance spots so muggins here and his mate spent hours walking back and forth in the snow from the box to restroke the switches in the icy rain. It was like walking on deep soft sand.

Unfortunately it's the local council stopping the snowploughs, which were already out, that has made the roads impassable here.

post-6968-0-33494100-1519982704_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-61379900-1519982729_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Even though our red warning has expired and I think the Amber is just about to, it’s still dire up here in Scotland . I made it out the house the first time since Tuesday to see if there was any point digging the car out. The answer is no. The local road is down to one track with cars still strewn about all over it . It’s still treacherous with about a foot of snow on the ground but varying because of the strong winds and drifting it’s lots more in parts. The thing is I don’t think this is going to thaw and the forecast is more snow on Sunday, so I’m now looking at what I should be doing next week.

• RMweb Gold

A slight postscript to my earlier post.

I did venture out to our local shop. Despite the weather, we had some bread, plus some odds & sods. Nothing to get panicked over. The little lady had struggled a lot further than me, just to open up. The biggest grumble? The time it took to put the stuff through the checkout! Some people and gratitude! Makes me angry sometimes....

Cheers,

Ian.

Freezing rain now here in east Kent

Stu

Ah! That explains why the rain on the window hasn't coalesced and run off like it normally does.

I was born in a blizzard, apparently; my mother once said that my father was very popular in the nurses' home. After a theatrical pause, she added that it was because he had chains on his tyres, and used to ferry carloads of them back and forth during his daily visits, buses being unable to climb the hill to the Maternity .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite enjoying it actually.  We don't need to go anywhere, the snow's looking very attractive, the woodburner's going, music's playing, there's plenty of beer in stock and the workbench has been wheeled out and a loco I'd previously despaired of is now working again.  And it seems we're going to get a few more days of it!  Selfish I know, but all the same......

DT

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that information.

That should be on a 'need to know' basis.

As such, I certainly do not need to know that and CTMK even less so, lest she decide to make one such abomination!  ;)

No, really, beetroot cake is nice. So, even more strangely, is Spinach Sponge Cake, a Portuguese delicacy.