Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

On 26/05/2022 at 13:23, G-BOAF said:

Ornamentations for my pair now in hand! Thanks to Fox.Screenshot_20220526-131756.png.b67859ede02b6f2cb5638131d4e897d5.png

For comparison I just picked up Silver Tay's thistle, modelled here on DP1 as I shifted my last normal Bachmann Deltic the other week;

PXL_20220528_064455652.NIGHT.jpg.e0b802b6e8bc55c9eb5e739f7ac2d2a3.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 60800 said:

For comparison I just picked up Silver Tay's thistle, modelled here on DP1 as I shifted my last normal Bachmann Deltic the other week;

PXL_20220528_064455652.NIGHT.jpg.e0b802b6e8bc55c9eb5e739f7ac2d2a3.jpg

Cheers,

I do like the Deltic and am aware that the "headlight" moulding was there to facilitate sales to countries that would require a headlight, but just blanking it off seems a bit odd, especially when the moulding is such a feature of that impressive front end.

To me, it would improved the appearance so much if it had an actual headlight installed, albeit not working or even wired up.

And I really do hope the model meets everyones expectations.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, SamThomas said:

I do like the Deltic and am aware that the "headlight" moulding was there to facilitate sales to countries that would require a headlight, but just blanking it off seems a bit odd, especially when the moulding is such a feature of that impressive front end.

To me, it would improved the appearance so much if it had an actual headlight installed, albeit not working or even wired up.

And I really do hope the model meets everyones expectations.

D9000 was built with a headlight, and removed very early on.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0363.htm

no doubting the fuel tank colour on this one either..

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0355.htm

Headlights were common throughout Europe, and much of the rest of the world, not sure why we took so long.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Headlights were common throughout Europe, and much of the rest of the world, not sure why we took so long.

I recall reading somewhere, maybe Modern Railways, that BR looked into headlights for their diesels but it was rejected on a cost basis.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

D9000 was built with a headlight, and removed very early on.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0363.htm

no doubting the fuel tank colour on this one either..

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0355.htm

Thanks for that. Its the first time I've ever seen a Pic of D9000 with the Headliight! Always wondered what it looked Like.

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Thanks for that. Its the first time I've ever seen a Pic of D9000 with the Headliight! Always wondered what it looked Like.

Cheers Trailrage

Its kind of hiding in plain sight for many years, see the panel around the footstep here in 1987 at Crewe (not my image), which it had all its life until the 1990’s.

D9000_BRELCrewe_04_07_87

(Flickr url not mine).

Since its gone mainline I guess that bit of history is gone now with the modern headlight in its place.

fyi you dont need to check the AS model of 022… its got the panel 🙂.. but a model in the future with that original light, and as preserved above in the 1980’s (with its 37 bogies) would be nice too someday.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Its kind of hiding in plain sight for many years, see the panel around the footstep here in 1987 at Crewe (not my image), which it had all its life until the 1990’s.

D9000_BRELCrewe_04_07_87

(Flickr url not mine).

Since its gone mainline I guess that bit of history is gone now with the modern headlight in its place.

fyi you dont need to check the AS model of 022… its got the panel 🙂.. but a model in the future with that original light, and as preserved above in the 1980’s (with its 37 bogies) would be nice too someday.

I believe AS said they looked in to tooling the original light but it wasnt practical.

As for the panel, its still there, behind the modern high intensity light, so history still there. It has to be there as it also incorporates the front footstep. So still hiding in not so plain sight!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not quite. 

55022 Royal Scots Grey Bishops Lydeard Station. 15-06-2012

As you can see the panel was simply made larger to accommodate the new headlight, and 22 still has the unique narrow footstep without rounded top corners, different to all the other members of the class. 

Bruce

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, D400 said:

Not quite. 

55022 Royal Scots Grey Bishops Lydeard Station. 15-06-2012

As you can see the panel was simply made larger to accommodate the new headlight, and 22 still has the unique narrow footstep without rounded top corners, different to all the other members of the class. 

Bruce

I wonder why they didnt just fit the headlight in the original recess, and make it authentic ? Has the void behind been re-used ?

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I wonder why they didnt just fit the headlight in the original recess, and make it authentic ? Has the void behind been re-used ?

I would imagine the step would still be needed e.g. for lamp iron and may be required for grandfather operational rights on the ML. Therefore they cant just remove it for a headlight. But this is just my ill-informed specilation and doubtless those more knowledgeable  (or anyone involved in DNLL in those days) could five a proper answer.

Going by the SR slam door EMUs however there seems to be no technical reason why a high intensity light could not be flush with the front of the vehicle.

Edited by G-BOAF

30 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Going by the SR slam door EMUs however there seems to be no technical reason why a high intensity light could not be flush with the front of the vehicle.

If you mount the headlamp on the front you only needed to drill fixing holes and a feed hole for the wire. In the future it is an easier job to remove and fill the holes. If you recess it then it is much harder to create a recessed and then fill it in the future. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

If you mount the headlamp on the front you only needed to drill fixing holes and a feed hole for the wire. In the future it is an easier job to remove and fill the holes. If you recess it then it is much harder to create a recessed and then fill it in the future. 

My guess originally was maybe the recess is still there behind the panel, and I was further guessing the reason the footstep is rectangular not curved is because it is part of the original light recess..

But a lot can happen in 20 years.

Would be interesting to know if anyones been there and looked around it, quirky piece of history. Apparently it was a flashing light, not fixed, which to me suggests it was about being seen, not to enable the driver to see.. I could imagine a flashing light being a bit annoying myself. I have some GM E8’s and noted their headlights are oscillating mars lights in one housing and rotated,  on arrival and departure from stations, crossings etc (as well as a fixed headlight and with a bell also…) and seems to be what prototype Deltic was trying to emulate. I wonder if this was the intention ? if so, its a major safety feature that was just missed being discovered (a fixed headlight) and had to wait over a decade to be discovered… a-bit like 18000’s orange line, and the full yellow cabbed Blue 73’s/Blue Pullmans in the late 1960’s and didnt all combine until the late 1970’s with 56036/84

Edited by adb968008

Aaaannd….

They added £5.99 delivery charge to my balance. On top of the £5.99 delivery charge they already added to my deposit when I paid it. And didn’t actually tell me - I only noticed as my bank flagged the payment for an extra security check ….

Not good practice to add things secretly during payment

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, philg said:

Aaaannd….

They added £5.99 delivery charge to my balance. On top of the £5.99 delivery charge they already added to my deposit when I paid it. And didn’t actually tell me - I only noticed as my bank flagged the payment for an extra security check ….

Have you questioned why two delivery charges before you posted it here? it should be an error surely

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Have you questioned why two delivery charges before you posted it here? it should be an error surely

Indeed. I sent a note to Loco option straight away

tbh, I was equally irritated about them not telling me they’d added a delivery charge until I was actually making the payment

The post here was more about making others aware

• Like 1

On 08/03/2022 at 11:03, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @philg,

Many thanks for your patience on this one, but I felt it best to get the correct answer for you. AUX3, AUX4 need to be logic level as per VHDM standard and are so on our Deltics.

Cheers!

Fran 

Sorry to resurrect an old question, but are there other function outputs that also need to be logic level? Not sure how many lighting outputs the Deltic is using, but are F5 and F6 used? On my chosen (Zimo) brand, these two are always full voltage so if they also need to be logic level I’m hitting a snag

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

Aaaannd….

I had a slightly different experience with Locomotion, I got my email this morning as well - when checking out the postage charge was applied during the payment process but it did say in the email requesting payment that it would be added although not how much it would be. It didn’t come as a surprise and I’m guessing they couldn’t put it in the email as it hadn’t been calculated at that point.

I’ve just checked back to my deposit and that didn’t have a delivery charge on it

Edited by StuAllen