Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, crompton 008 said:

Hi, I don't know if anybody is still looking for an accurascale deltic but there's a few available on their website today at 12.15pm, hope this post helps somebody save some money rather than pay the ebay prices. 

Hi everyone,

This is the last of the extras we kept back in case of warranty replacement which we havent needed (we were a bit conservative/belt and braces when it came to warranty replacement stock requirements!) so fill your boots while you can. We still have a couple left just in case any warranty needs are required, so rest assured too, but the surplus can now go!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was actually looking at buying some NCB chaldrons earlier and had popped 'Accurascale' in my search box and it remembered a previous search I had made for D9012 'Crepello', which I clicked on out of curiosity--I could not believe it when I saw '1 in stock', so I snapped it up :-)

cheers,

Keith

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I agree with MikeParkin65's comments about using a V4 as opposed to the supplied V5 in an AS Deltic; the start-up and very low speed running is much better. Mind you, acceleration rate, or rather the lack of decent adjustment to it, was an inherent problem with the V5s when they were introduced, and the V4 is simply better in this area. However, I also tried using a Zimo decoder in an AS Deltic (albeit with completely the wrong sound file so with sound off), and it ran from an almost imperceptibly slow crawl, accelerating slowly and superbly with no juddering at all. I had thought from some of the earliest announcements that AS were going to equip their Deltics with Zimo decoders, but AS confirmed when I queried it that apparently that was never the case. Mind you I have just had an unmitigated disaster with the supplied Zimo decoder in the new Bachmann Class 37, but that's for another forum.

I tried the automatic motor calibration recommended in the V5 manual (page 72) but that didn't seem to alter matters at all. Ultimately it looks as though it's going to be a question of finding the right sequence for CV numbers 2, 9, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 116, 117, 118 and 119. I have spent a few hours playing with these already and although I managed some improvement, I'm still miles away from Zimo motor control. It is a shame that the currently available Digitrains Deltic sound files for Zimo decoders have not been upgraded, I suspect for some time. Had they been on a par with the Legomanbiffo or AS sound files, I would have happily re-equipped the entire fleet with them.

On the subject of the bogie chains, while there are one or two other over scale items on the loco, these for me simply spoil the overall look. I encourage any of you in any doubt to take a picture of one of your AS Deltic bogies and compare it with any photograph on Google or anywhere else of the real thing - try for example    https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uo6gvug6hVA/U4Tqh2XMVuI/AAAAAAAAGrU/p52SzmvLNFk/s1600/55002+25May14+EOS+g.jpg

I have seen one or two other posts describing the AS chain as anchor chain - harsh but not entirely unreasonable. I have however managed to obtain some ultrafine jewellery chain, and have also carried out some experiments with very fine black cotton stiffened with superglue which in fact doesn't look too bad at all (look at the image link and you'll see the similarity), and I'll post some photographs of the results using these and the modified actuators I've made, In due course.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have found the following CV changes provide for much better slow speed running:

New CV value                      CV range                           Original CV value

CV2 = 2                                  1 - 255                               1

CV51 = 20                             0 - 255                               0

CV52 = 70                             0 -255                                0

CV116 = 50                           25 - 200                             100

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

Wow - Steve - thank you so much; what a difference, and has inevitably saved me several hours of trial and error.

If I might make a suggestion, I've just tried the same sequence but with the exception of CV2 to a value of 1 instead of 2, and which seems to create an even better very slow crawl.

Thank you again

Tim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, tlm said:

Wow - Steve - thank you so much; what a difference, and has inevitably saved me several hours of trial and error.

If I might make a suggestion, I've just tried the same sequence but with the exception of CV2 to a value of 1 instead of 2, and which seems to create an even better very slow crawl.

Thank you again

Tim

Hi Tim,

I totally agree, CV2 = 1 will give you a slower crawl, but I was trying to get the loco to move off smoothly at speed step 1 out of 128 without any hesitation.  Certainly for my models, I had to set CV2 = 2 for that to happen.  Maybe once the models are run in more this may change?

Steve

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian J. said:

It's posts like the previous two that need to be specially archived and stickied as references somewhere easy to find 🙂

Hi Ian,

I have made a seperate post in the DCC forum, detailing all the CV changes I've made to the AS Class 55 sound decoder.   I wanted to make it easier for folk to locate, but perhaps my good intentions didn't work very well in practice?  😂

Steve

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Hi Ian,

I have made a seperate post in the DCC forum, detailing all the CV changes I've made to the AS Class 55 sound decoder.   I wanted to make it easier for folk to locate, but perhaps my good intentions didn't work very well in practice?  😂

Steve

Really helpful - thanks. Agree you have placed it in the right area. Link here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

ESU CLASS 55 DELTIC DCC DECODER UPDATE

Hi everyone,

Our new range of Loksound 5 decoder kits with our Deltic sounds and our Lokpilot decoders for the Class 55 have proven very popular since first announced on pre-order. Our Accurathrash speakers too, which are now in stock.

Our decoders should be too, but unfortunately they have been held up in customs for the past four weeks. We sincerely apologise for this delay and we are working with ESU and HMRC to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

We thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter. Another update will be issued once the matter has been resolved.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Quick post in response to Steve (55020) and MikeParkin65:
Steve - thank you once again for the suggested slow speed running CVs; the difference in slow speed running of the fleet is simply staggering. Commenting on your CV=either 1 or 2 point, I found that with many v5s there is often a time delay between activating speed step 1 (of 128) which sets the control lever to "on" increasing the revs slightly, and the loco actually beginning to move, initially at an almost imperceptible crawl; the Legomanbiffo v5 for the Heljan Class 25 being a very good example of this. I suspect this delay is probably adjustable although for the life of me I haven't found which would be the correct CV to adjust this yet, although am happy to leave it as it is. With CV=1 on the Deltics, and using your other settings, I now get the same result, and after a few seconds delay following the initial increase in revs, they exhibit an almost imperceptibly slow crawl, and will then pull away beautifully from a slow crawl with absolutely no jerking or other inconsistencies. I can't tell you what a difference this has made.
Mike - many thanks for the link to Steve's other post which I confess I'd missed, although I had picked up a note of the drive lock activation and lighting CV details directly from Accurascale when I queried this on receipt of my first loco, having discovered that drive lock is not operational by default.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick question, I bought my Class 55’s DC only and plan to upgrade to DCC and sound when funds allow.  Is the model already fitted with the stay alive or will I need to purchase that along with speaker and DCC sound chip?

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Quick question, I bought my Class 55’s DC only and plan to upgrade to DCC and sound when funds allow.  Is the model already fitted with the stay alive or will I need to purchase that along with speaker and DCC sound chip?

I'm sure the Accurascale chaps will be here shortly to answer but pretty sure it's included in all as the part cost is minimal and cheaper to standardise whilst giving extra features.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, E100 said:

I'm sure the Accurascale chaps will be here shortly to answer but pretty sure it's included in all as the part cost is minimal and cheaper to standardise whilst giving extra features.

indeed. Every model includes the stay alive and the smaller ‘cube’ speaker as standard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1