Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Guys,

pls see my posts of several weeks ago re modifying the point on the Kinematic coupling cam…….. no issues at all since doing this on R2 curves and inclines

816102E3-A7EF-4E2D-9A26-C5E4BB8B52F2.jpeg

Is the kinematic component easy enough to remove without completely stripping down to the chassis?  I’m just a bit too wobbly at the moment and I’ll bo…..muck it up too easily.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Is the kinematic component easy enough to remove without completely stripping down to the chassis?  I’m just a bit too wobbly at the moment and I’ll bo…..muck it up too easily.

drop us a line and we can arrange to have the loco taken into our workshop for you (no charge)

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

I hope Accurascale take this onboard for future models as they seem intent on sticking with the Kinematic coupling , but I for one do not want to see this issue on the Class 37 or 31’s that I have on order !

Hi @Hound Dog,

Many thanks for the feedback and we can confirm that a slightly modified design based on this feedback has been taken into future locomotives.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, McC said:

drop us a line and we can arrange to have the loco taken into our workshop for you (no charge)

Thanks McC, I have not yet been in touch as I was hoping it might be an easy fix, or somebody could shed some light on it had they encountered the same issue.

I can send it away again, cheers. I’ll be in touch.

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Hound Dog,

Many thanks for the feedback and we can confirm that a slightly modified design based on this feedback has been taken into future locomotives.

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran - that is excellent news which will hopefully address a very marginal issue and make great models even better ……… unfortunately not all layouts are perfectly laid and with wide gentle curves etc ( certainly mine is full of compromises) and so a more forgiving configuration will surely be welcomed by many.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Hound Dog,

Cheers!

Fran 

does the 37 have the same fitment? i assume so based on the above, can you confirm whether the 1st and 2nd batch will include these changes or has the shipped sailed on those so to speak, ta?

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

does the 37 have the same fitment? i assume so based on the above, can you confirm whether the 1st and 2nd batch will include these changes or has the shipped sailed on those so to speak, ta?

The 37 fitting was always different to the Deltic, and should not have this quirk, hth

• Like 5

FWIW I remember Hornby Class 50s having issues of the kinemetic coulings re-centering. Maybe long locomotives are more prone to this than shorter ones.

Perso no issue like this on my side, with either class but they did not face anything tighter than 22in radius. I have had the odd issue of coach failing to recenter and derial from time to time, which was solved by using the roco style solid couplings which I generally use in set rakes of long coaches using kinemetics. 

I tend to stay with tension locks (or kadees when pipework exists) on locos themselves unless said loco is involved in push-pull work, in which case solid couplings are obigatory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

FWIW I remember Hornby Class 50s having issues of the kinemetic coulings re-centering. Maybe long locomotives are more prone to this than shorter ones.

Perso no issue like this on my side, with either class but they did not face anything tighter than 22in radius. I have had the odd issue of coach failing to recenter and derial from time to time, which was solved by using the roco style solid couplings which I generally use in set rakes of long coaches using kinemetics. 

I tend to stay with tension locks (or kadees when pipework exists) on locos themselves unless said loco is involved in push-pull work, in which case solid couplings are obigatory.

And Hornby class 60, Class 56… only really shows up if you have a significant load on in my experience

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Continuing the weathered theme @Tony Wright sent us these images of his own dirty Deltic. Phwoar! 

496400040_WeatheredAccurascaleDelticD9020.jpg.2f57e13a99e5f0d7dc91dd4507b11a84.jpg

1484909858_WeatheredAccurascaleDelticD9020onlayout01.jpg.5e7a8d5f08a742fc444ba40ccbd322f5.jpg

1028239569_WeatheredAccurascaleDelticD9020onlayout02(1).jpg.992f9e5ff0dd70aaa06ece604ee42d59.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran,

I'm glad you like it.

The weathering is the work of my good friend, Geoff Haynes. He consulted pictures in the softback books on Deltics I've written for Irwell. 

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My Alycidon has been away for repair for 5 or 6 weeks now via Rails (side window not attached, paint rubs and bent handrails). Hopefully back soon as haven't actually run it yet.

Purple one still looks amazing though and I sometimes just look at it, sounds even better!

Edited by ac1874
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ac1874 said:

My Alycidon has been away for repair for 5 or 6 weeks now via Rails (side window not attached, paint rubs and bent handrails). Hopefully back soon as haven't actually run it yet.

Purple one still looks amazing though and I sometimes just look at it, sounds even better!

I was contacted by AS for a return, but have decided to keep this one as is and just run with one end “coupled” and take the sticky kinetic off and put the detailing on that end, a good solution for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The question about which end is the #1 end, and therefore which end should have the exhauster pipes fitted, has been answered way back in the thread.  The answer given then is that the #1 end can be identified by the additional access panel on the side of the nose on the secondman's side.  This is the #1 end?

1577132666_Class551end.jpg.9d0f3b3d3d6d563bbecfb62e0dc1481b.jpg

The main reason for asking is that on all three of my Deltics the removable bufferbeam that takes the exhauster pipes (there are additional mounting holes) have been at the #2 end.   Is this simply a small error by the factory, or do I infact have my two ends mixed up?

Steve