Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

Seems the MR page has been updated to include the EP of the Class 12, along with artwork and changes to the numbers on said models. (For example, the preserved 15224 is now in plain green, not green w/wasp stripes) EDIT: Could have just used a picture 15224, but had 15221 as the text.

https://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/167/Project-Class-11-12#class12

Edited by Ribird

57 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Seems the MR page has been updated to include the EP of the Class 12, along with artwork and changes to the numbers on said models. (For example, the preserved 15224 is now in plain green, not green w/wasp stripes) 

I notice that the artwork shows green 15221 and blue 15212 with data panels, which dates these to the post-steam era. 

IIRC 15211 was also BR blue but with the positions of the logos and numbers reversed (arrows above numbers was classic SR - I wouldn't be surprised if the WR's Class 08 4126 like this was overhauled at Eastleigh, as there seemed to be some cooperation between the two Regions on shunter overhauls - I saw numerous SR 08s at Swindon, and this makes me wonder whether 15212 was overhauled there too, hence number above arrows).

Comments have been made to the effect that both the Hornby and Bachmann 08s need updating. Now that Heljan has produced a similar shunter with a speaker and external lights and done a good job on it, I wonder if Heljan might use the experience to produce an 08 and, I dare say, trigger another frenzy of duplication.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Basra has thankfully arrived this evening! Considering hanging fire on chipping it till I've seen others get a TXS N18 decoder into one with no bodging..

Nathan...

The HM7000 TXS Next 18 decoder is both slightly too long (due to location of the factory fitted speaker) and slightly too wide (due to the  socket on the PCB  for the wires to the wheel pick-ups)

It probably would not be too hard to move or replace the factory fit speaker however to get round the connector problem I think you'd have to remove the socket and direct solder the wires back to the PCB. 

As an aside the Power Bank (HM7070) will fit across the end above the motor terminal wires.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Comments have been made to the effect that both the Hornby and Bachmann 08s need updating. Now that Heljan has produced a similar shunter with a speaker and external lights and done a good job on it, I wonder if Heljan might use the experience to produce an 08 and, I dare say, trigger another frenzy of duplication.

Would make good sense now they having the chassis. Reassuring to see a Heljan model being apparently universally well received here as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ribird said:

Seems the MR page has been updated to include the EP of the Class 12, along with artwork and changes to the numbers on said models. (For example, the preserved 15224 is now in plain green, not green w/wasp stripes) EDIT: Could have just used a picture 15224, but had 15221 as the text.

The BR green examples are still shown with erroneous green roofs.  They should be black.  I shall not be ordering one until I've seen it in the correct colour scheme.

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I only just found out about these from a Model Rail Facebook post, I don't usually venture into the Heljan forum, and diesels are usually too modern for me, but the WD one has caught my interest 🧐 I'm always interested in WW2 stock

You may wish to hold off on ordering one in the WD green as I think there is a minor issue with this version. I have made inquires at Model Rail via Kernow but have not had a reply yet. My model, the picture on the Model Rail web site and even the box art do not have any rear sand boxes. The box art even shows  the screw head revealed by the omission.  This will be a simple fix by providing a couple of boxes which just plug in

35 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

You may wish to hold off on ordering one in the WD green as I think there is a minor issue with this version. I have made inquires at Model Rail via Kernow but have not had a reply yet. My model, the picture on the Model Rail web site and even the box art do not have any rear sand boxes. The box art even shows  the screw head revealed by the omission.  This will be a simple fix by providing a couple of boxes which just plug in

I suspect I can live with that  

1 hour ago, Phatbob said:

The BR green examples are still shown with erroneous green roofs.  They should be black.  I shall not be ordering one until I've seen it in the correct colour scheme.

My BR green one has a black (or dark grey) cab roof.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

432DFB91-7B33-438A-A03E-F898088750CD.jpeg.e1cb5ea1e9f481873a1a0fca01a15b1f.jpeg

The BR green version has the correct black roof color. The 1948 WR version carries the standard ‘GWR’ scheme with green roof with Egyptian typeface. BR standard liveries had not been introduced at this time, so they carried over the grouping companies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

The BR green versions MR511/512 are clearly illustrated on the web site and the magazine ads, with correct grey cab roof. 

• Agree 2

For all of those wondering about the detail differences between the different locomotives, the latest issue of Model Rail magazine has an article by Ben Jones, explaining it all. Unlike the simplified versions of their history published elsewhere, and referred to by previous posters, the variations were many and modifications were plenty throughout their lives. This includes things like the pipes at the front to top up the radiator header tank (not overflow pipes as it is sometimes thought) and the various changes to lighting arrangements and so on. It’s a good read…

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, VIA185 said:

The BR green versions MR511/512 are clearly illustrated on the web site and the magazine ads, with correct grey cab roof. 

On the class 12s the roofs were pinted black, not green / grey.

Photo of preserved loco as I can't find an original colour pic online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_12#/media/File:15224_at_Spa_Valley_Railway,_Tunbridge_Wells_West_depot.jpg

Edited by Phatbob
Error
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phatbob said:

On the class 12s the roofs were pinted black, not green / grey.

Photo of preserved loco as I can't find an original colour pic online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_12#/media/File:15224_at_Spa_Valley_Railway,_Tunbridge_Wells_West_depot.jpg

Hi Bob

Cab roof and on many the engine room roof were black as in the link provided. Some form memory had green engine room roofs. Eastleigh also had a habit of painting some class 08s in the same style.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2024 at 21:48, Clive Mortimore said:

Of course the big question is what are the differences between an LMS Jocko (class 11) and a BR 350 (class 08) as I am not too sure.

Cab roof arc is the biggie to me, Clive.  Much shallower on the early locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 08/02/2024 at 14:54, NHY 581 said:

Looks like they're spot on with 7128 regarding the lighting.....

On 08/02/2024 at 16:50, Butler Henderson said:

Re what lights are fitted the descriptions on the Model Rail Offers web page now, if not previoiusly, list working exterior lights for all models bar

MR-504 7128 - LMS post-war black  (which seems to an error from the photos above)

My LMS 7128 arrived yesterday and I finally got a chance to test it today.

In both directions it shows a central bright red and white light at the cab end, and a bright white and a very dim red (looks more like light-bleed) at the nose end. Hoping that's intentional and my nose-end red light isn't broken.

Shame to hear that the TXS decoder won't fit, was hoping it might be a nice cheap way to sound-fit these!

• RMweb Gold

My waspy BR green 12100 finally landed today. 

Overall, very impressed. Even before running in it was smooth and capable of very good slow speed creepy crawly performance. 

Only question I have is that on DC, irrespective of the direction, all four marker lights, red as well as white seem to be illuminated. I intend popping in a DCC decoder so I do wonder if this will sort it. 

Otherwise, very impressed. 

Posed on Ewe..

20240213_200715-01.jpeg.2e9994a8cb419ef010cb5ded72379720.jpeg

Shunting on Sheep Dip...

20240213_195327-01.jpeg.e48017381070fa1f446a35cf960ddde0.jpeg

20240213_200809-01.jpeg.893f1b0cf20601e4a5c0c0cd2a5325e6.jpeg

Rob

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This is from Roads and Rails...from their DCC sound installation

I thought I was finished but all the lights came on together, I like them to be directional so that I can easily see which way the model is gonna move, so I looked at the PCB and noticed that there was a green wire bridging two components, which looked like a bit of an after thought, so i took it off, and it made the lights directional, but backwards! So I have reversed the light outputs in the function mapping and it works now, any decoders you buy from us will already have this change made.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

My waspy BR green 12100 finally landed today. 

Overall, very impressed. Even before running in it was smooth and capable of very good slow speed creepy crawly performance. 

Only question I have is that on DC, irrespective of the direction, all four marker lights, red as well as white seem to be illuminated. I intend popping in a DCC decoder so I do wonder if this will sort it. 

Otherwise, very impressed. 

Posed on Ewe..

20240213_200715-01.jpeg.2e9994a8cb419ef010cb5ded72379720.jpeg

Shunting on Sheep Dip...

20240213_195327-01.jpeg.e48017381070fa1f446a35cf960ddde0.jpeg

20240213_200809-01.jpeg.893f1b0cf20601e4a5c0c0cd2a5325e6.jpeg

Rob

For shunting the usual lighting set up was to have one red and one white light showing at each end, permanently set while the shunting moves were taking place. It saved changing lights every time the locomotive was reversed during the manoeuvres.

To that end, on DCC, I have set both my Heljan class 07 diesels to have the lights permanently on at both ends with F0 on, rather than being directional.

IMG20210118163031.jpg.289599e684248176675d9ae8c9ee184b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Only question I have is that on DC, irrespective of the direction, all four marker lights, red as well as white seem to be illuminated.

Rob

Rob,
This is entirely correct.  A locomotive engaged in shunting should show a red light and white light at both ends.  A through back to the days of oil lamps when it was impractical to change the lamps every time the shunting locomotive changed direction.
If you altered this you'd be introducing an error!
HTH

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2