Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Yes, I am really  looking forward to the Class 12.

Looking at it the obvious questions is will Heljan be able to use this to entered the Class 08 market. However with many of us probably fully stocked with 08's, it occurred to me if they could possibly wring out a Class 10 as well as the forthcoming Class 12.

Hoping that might be possible!

For a Blackstone engine fitted 350 (class10), just renumber a English Electric Jocko.

For a Crossley engnie fitted pilot, use a 08 or 09 body and alter the exhaust.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My ones have just arrived and am just giving the first one a run in, it's quite whiney and squeeky so had a look inside to see no oil or grease. All lubed up now for further running in but may be worth having a quick gander inside to check yours. 

Other than that what a lovely loco, very impressive livery application and glad they have darkened the Longmoor Blue down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

For a Blackstone engine fitted 350 (class10), just renumber a English Electric Jocko.

For a Crossley engnie fitted pilot, use a 08 or 09 body and alter the exhaust.

Are there any known photos of the Crossley exhaust ports?

Thanks,

Paul

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Hippel said:

Are there any known photos of the Crossley exhaust ports?

Thanks,

Paul

The Crossley engines didn't have the rectangular box housing the exhaust, the cover follows the profile of the engine house roof, with a small circular like chimney affair.

These are all the photos I could find on the interweb of these 10 locos D3117-D3126

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127815237@N05/28315957599/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnneave/4295922884/

D3122 at Toton hump yard

I have posted this flickr image by John Neave as it shows non-standard doors on the engine room and an upside down BR emblem on the battery box. It also doesn't seem to have a windscreen wiper motor on the cab side.  How is that for a challenge regarding a "Standard BR 350 Jocko".

D3117-Derby-196707-Graham-Ledger.jpg.52098446be1cdec39da120c3f5a0c569.jpg

From RCTS website https://features.rcts.org.uk/diesel-dilemmas/what-actually-happened-to-d5383-and-other-j-cashmore-anomalies/ the building behind has hidden the exhaust pipe. Is it in black livery still?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224472402876

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194153203886

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

@Clive Mortimore

Hi Clive, thanks for those. I imagined that the Crossleys had a similar arrangement to regular 08s since in Modern Locomotives Illustrated part 202 page 25 there's a photo of 13117 with what appears to be (side on) a rectangular flanged type of exhaust similar to an 08/09.

Just shows you why you need a good photo!

Thanks

Paul

• Thanks 1

Nice surprise from RM this morning. I was expecting a small parcel from Kernow (a single Oxford car on pre-order which I transferred from Hattons - they emailed me oat the end of last week and the order number was that of the car). It wasn't that though, it was the class 11 (no notification received though).

Unpacked it, quite impressed by the extra bits of packing behind the steps and on the underside. Took the packing out - and promptly knocked that step off!. but its back on ok. Tried it on the workbench test track, superb runner, good slow runner and quiet. I usually strip out lighting and DCC wiring, but I do like the shunting lights and controllable cab lights. I may leave them.

I then added the small number of details, the holes needed opening out for the front bar, I found the plastic hard to drill out but I did it ok. However the screw links are a disaster. The hooks were upside down, and refused to move without breaking. I shall source some different ones. I needing to renumber to 12134 (one of two at Cambridge), I tried to remove the last 2 digits, which were very stubborn. Eventually decided to remove all the numbers back to green with a fibre pencil, but the 1st pair of '0's went back through green to white plastic, I need to touch that up.

However, all in all a superb model, just the couple of minor hitches.. Now, where is my Oxford car....it is shown as despatched and due today (they must have mixed the 2 orders up).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Nice surprise from RM this morning. I was expecting a small parcel from Kernow (a single Oxford car on pre-order which I transferred from Hattons - they emailed me oat the end of last week and the order number was that of the car). It wasn't that though, it was the class 11 (no notification received though).

Unpacked it, quite impressed by the extra bits of packing behind the steps and on the underside. Took the packing out - and promptly knocked that step off!. but its back on ok. Tried it on the workbench test track, superb runner, good slow runner and quiet. I usually strip out lighting and DCC wiring, but I do like the shunting lights and controllable cab lights. I may leave them.

I then added the small number of details, the holes needed opening out for the front bar, I found the plastic hard to drill out but I did it ok. However the screw links are a disaster. The hooks were upside down, and refused to move without breaking. I shall source some different ones. I needing to renumber to 12134 (one of two at Cambridge), I tried to remove the last 2 digits, which were very stubborn. Eventually decided to remove all the numbers back to green with a fibre pencil, but the 1st pair of '0's went back through green to white plastic, I need to touch that up.

However, all in all a superb model, just the couple of minor hitches.. Now, where is my Oxford car....it is shown as despatched and due today (they must have mixed the 2 orders up).

Thats a brave list of alterations to have made prior to running in - I dont even swap the tension locks for Kadee until its completed an hour in each direction unloaded followed by successful trials over pointwork and finally a haulage test (using a 'convertor' vehicle). 

• Like 1

Sound and Stay Alive fitted. Running plate painted black, as it ought to be. Engine compartment handrails painted orange, as they ought to be for British Oak D.P. 12099 number and BR electrification flashes to be added before weathering.

20240205_181005.jpg.4973619c031653c9317b93ac0dc68015.jpg

There are radiator overflow pipes provided to be fitted by the purchaser but there are no locating holes for them. Presumably we're expected to just glue them on. The screw couplings that come with it are a let down. Heljan's Class 05, 07 and 14 all came with good quality screw couplings with steel end links that moved freely and could be used with a magnetic shunting pole but these are cosmetic only so this has yet to pull a train.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I guess the different couplings are something Model Rail specified, if other Heljan locos do have better ones.

They must have had their reasons, although it's hard to see why unless it would have added considerably to the cost?

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brew Up said:

Does anyone have any videos of these running? 

What lighting arrangement do they have, are the lights directional?

Mine was a little squeaky in reverse to start with, but has settled nicely with running in. Lights are directional.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PMP said:

Mine was a little squeaky in reverse to start with, but has settled nicely with running in. Lights are directional.

I was just watching your video before seeing this post. It convinced me to get one. I can't decide which version to get though, it will be going on an industrial layout but orange is a bit loud for my taste. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brew Up said:

Does anyone have any videos of these running? 

What lighting arrangement do they have, are the lights directional?

As regard  lights it depends which version your looking at!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

There are radiator overflow pipes provided to be fitted by the purchaser but there are no locating holes for them. Presumably we're expected to just glue them on.

If I remember correctly instructions say drill and fix by user, as pipes not fitted to every variant and chosen livery different eras

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

This may help..

Hi Paul,

thanks for that good video!

Can you tell me what the axle diameter is on the loco?  I fancy getting one and converting to EM.

Pete Hill

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Hi Paul,

thanks for that good video!

Can you tell me what the axle diameter is on the loco?  I fancy getting one and converting to EM.

Pete Hill

They appear to be 3mm, I’ll get the vernier on them later 

Great video, ill be getting the green British Railways version. 

Looks like a nice space for the decoder so im pretty confident the HM7000 will fit, with maybe the power bank in the cab. Although it will have to have a Dapol imperium to begin with.

Only thing i didnt see was much in the way of lighting.