Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Going by the images in the magazine, these look pretty good and I'm well up to have a couple or three, but..

I just hope these don't suffer from the same issues as in wobbly running, poor fit of parts, as the PWM from Heljan. 

Rob

• Agree 7

They're looking pretty good, couple there I'd definitely have. Lets hope that as they meant to be limited to 300 a piece they won't have a stupidly high price tag, seems like a rather low number to recover the costs of producing it but I shall wait and see. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2023 at 16:28, WD1995 said:

I think at the moment they are only in the magazine, no doubt the website will be updated after the samples have been signed off 

Some more stuff about the class 11s and the class 12s in the latest magazine, but they still say we wait until the order book is open for ordering these. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/08/2023 at 04:40, Covkid said:

Some more stuff about the class 11s and the class 12s in the latest magazine, but they still say we wait until the order book is open for ordering these. 

Hopefully they will have prices soon, there's at least 2 I will have for sure but depending on the price maybe a couple more

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Downer said:

Price will be decisive for me as well, particularly after the many bad reports about their PWM shunter. 

That is the issue for me too.  IMHO Heljan is not giving me a reason to trust in quality and reliability at the noment, especially to lumber myself with a preorder. If I can pick up the version I would like then I may well try it, but after the Peak and the PWM Ruston disappoijtments I think I need to observe from the touch line for now.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I agree.

I'm interested in a few examples of both Class 11 and Class 12 but I'm not commiting to any until I know they run well and have been assembled properly, something which has proved tricky for Heljan to accomplish with the PWMs. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I agree.

I'm interested in a few examples of both Class 11 and Class 12 but I'm not commiting to any until I know they run well and have been assembled properly, something which has proved tricky for Heljan to accomplish with the PWMs. 

Rob. 

From the original Hymek to this, how the mighty have fallen.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Looks like the order book is now open for the class 11s (with Class 12s to follow).

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/167/Project-Class-11-12

Estimated delivery is December this year. Just placed an order for my LMS black one!

Well spotted,  I only updated the webpage this morning, additional details will be the imminent issue of Model Rail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Well spotted,  I only updated the webpage this morning, additional details will be the imminent issue of Model Rail. 

I've put my order in before all the Longmoor ones sell out, very glad to be having a proper Class 11 instead of the Bachmann 08. In regards to the Longmoor one will the front steps be painted black and the axle springs blue (or black, hard to tell which one on my photos)  

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WD1995 said:

I've put my order in before all the Longmoor ones sell out, very glad to be having a proper Class 11 instead of the Bachmann 08. In regards to the Longmoor one will the front steps be painted black and the axle springs blue (or black, hard to tell which one on my photos)  

Just for clarity KMRC are only involved in the fulfilment of the Model Rail products and not involved in the model  development. 
The images we were provided for the website are of decorated samples and there might have been some minor tweaks to the final production models. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

If I understand correctly. The first WD ones would have appeared in April 1945, so mostly a postwar machine?

I was under the impression these were used to haul the rail guns in Kent due to their lack of smoke. I’m standing by to be corrected though.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

I was under the impression these were used to haul the rail guns in Kent due to their lack of smoke. I’m standing by to be corrected though.

That was my first thought too, but if none appeared before April 1945.....

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit of a balancing act. There are versions of both the Class 11 and Class 12  I'm interested in but Heljan's failure to produce a well running, well assembled model  with the PWM has definitely influenced my potential purchase of these locos.Try,  I'd be a lot happier if they were being produced by another manufacturer. 

I'll wait to see how they run first. If I miss out, so be it but this is quite an investment and not one I'll rush into. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Wasn't that the earlier, jack-shaft drive ones?

CJI.

I think they would have been these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D3/7

Unless the class 11s appeared a few years earlier than 1945. The model seems to be based on a postwar image on the LMR (there is a tender with LMR in the background).

1 minute ago, JSpencer said:

I think they would have been these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D3/7

Unless the class 11s appeared a few years earlier than 1945. The model seems to be based on a postwar image on the LMR (there is a tender with LMR in the background).

Exactly - the jack-shaft drive locos.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1