Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

I have ordered 12099, in Hargreaves orange, as it totally suits my British Oak-based layout. I just hope that Heljan have made these to the kind of standards that they did with their 05s and 07s and not the poor quality of those Ruston PWMs!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know the Class 11s were based on the type of LMS shunters that became the D3/6 under BR. Like the jackshaft ones, some of these were also used by the War Department.

9e46ed85082909bda7e8dbca7357c1a4.jpg.2150db03328eae0c45ad48348a7a9c9c.jpg

No. 7069 is preserved and is being restored

LMS_shunter_No_7069.jpg.2339677e9a5fea180e3825229335d1bf.jpg

(photo from Wikipedia)

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 5

7069 is at the Vale of Berkeley Railway I believe. There's not much about it on their website that I can see, and I've signed up to their newsletter too, but there's not much information on those either. I would love to see this running or ride behind even if only a brake van ride.

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Just for clarity KMRC are only involved in the fulfilment of the Model Rail products and not involved in the model  development. 
The images we were provided for the website are of decorated samples and there might have been some minor tweaks to the final production models. 

Aha thank you for that, touch wood they would have picked up on it then. If not I'll get the paint out :D 

17 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

I was under the impression these were used to haul the rail guns in Kent due to their lack of smoke. I’m standing by to be corrected though.

For the big railguns (13.5' + 18') they used some Southern Diesels and the LMS jackshaft ones as they were down by the coast. The 13.5 guns being all down by Dover and the 18' up by Bishopsbourne. 

The smaller guns such as 9' were sometimes pulled the Pannier fitted Dean Goods of which there is a few good videos in 'the home front war years' series of railway DVDs, 1944-45 being the one with the railway guns in. 

• Informative/Useful 2

For Model Rail subscribers like myself , the price will be £152.10 p.p.

That's the same price as the PWM , but this model has the lights !

If you include the savings made by taking out a subscription , it brings the price down to under £140.00

That will do me !

Will worry about running / build qualities when I get it out of the box and place it on the track .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

For Model Rail subscribers like myself , the price will be £152.10 p.p.

That's the same price as the PWM , but this model has the lights !

If you include the savings made by taking out a subscription , it brings the price down to under £140.00

That will do me !

Can you explain how the double discount thing works ?

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Can you explain how the double discount thing works ?

Well , there's the 10% off those models for being a subscriber in the first place.

Then because I have always read the magazine , I saved around £15 for the first 6 months by subscribing so I include that figure into the discount .

The sub£140 figure I quoted would not be possible if I had not subscribed.

Of course , it should be said that was an opening offer and it won't apply when I renew for another year but the magazine is still 0.70 p cheaper per month.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have plumped for 12100 with the intention of renumbering it into 12087 which was a Bescot and Walsall area loco. 

I feel quite reticent about this model but feel I ought to support Heljan for this model.  Please make this an improvement over the Ruston 0-6-0.  If you make a success of this Heljan, maybe the predecessor Jackshaft might follow on.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2023 at 19:40, Graham_Muz said:

Well spotted,  I only updated the webpage this morning, additional details will be the imminent issue of Model Rail. 

Hi Graham

When ordering a class 11 in green with wasp ends I noticed that the WR 151xx in the same livery was not on the list, as it was when first announced. Am I going to be saving myself some money or do you know if it is going to be a latter release?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Graham

When ordering a class 11 in green with wasp ends I noticed that the WR 151xx in the same livery was not on the list, as it was when first announced. Am I going to be saving myself some money or do you know if it is going to be a latter release?

As far as I am aware some of the liveries have been amended since the initial announcement. 
As stated above KMRC are only the fulfilment service for Model Rail so are not party to any future plans. 

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

WOW ! ..... 8.4p saving per year - I must start subscribing now !!!?! 🤐

I assume you meant to type £8.40 but were too busy to notice that in your quest to trot out a sarky remark .

So , here's the maths .

I Always bought that mag at its cover price .

Took out a subscription mid June 

6 months 6 issues  £14.99 .

Saving £16.21

7 more issues at 0.90p less than cover price .

Saving £ £6.30 

10% discount on the model as I'm a subscriber. 

Saving £16.90

Total saving £39.41 .

Deduct the above from the normal retail price of £169.00 and you have the model for £129.59 .

Those who subscribed around the same time as I,  will get the same savings .

Not difficult was it .

It's a 1 year agreement after which  one can terminate .

It's gone up a couple of quid now but the savings will still  be considerable .

I put this info up as I notice a lot of people whincing at the thought of  paying a quid short of £170 for a small model .

This is just one suggestion at saving a couple of quid and done with the best of intentions. 

16960079020076744021116755129182.jpg

Edited by Albie the plumber
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Albie the plumber said:

I put this info up as I notice a lot of people whincing at the thought of  paying a quid short of £170 for a small model .

This is just one suggestion at saving a couple of quid and done with the best of intentions. 

16960079020076744021116755129182.jpg

The cost of the model is not the issue, whether full price or looking for ways to obtain a discount. 

No, it's simply that with the recent poor attempt at the PWM I'm not willing to jump in to what would be the purchase of multiple models without seeing a few runners first. 

The proposed cost is comparible with Hornby’s  current release of their 08, Heljans current 07, Class 14 and forthcoming 02 along with Bachmanns most recent 08. 

These locos simply need to have consistent slow running properties, smooth slowing and starting with no waggling about. I'm not willing to waste money on a loco that is incapable of doing so. 

It is after all, a shunting loco. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The cost of the model is not the issue, whether full price or looking for ways to obtain a discount. 

No, it's simply that with the recent poor attempt at the PWM I'm not willing to jump in to what would be the purchase of multiple models without seeing a few runners first. 

The proposed cost is comparible with Hornby’s  current release of their 08, Heljans current 07, Class 14 and forthcoming 02 along with Bachmanns most recent 08. 

These locos simply need to have consistent slow running properties, smooth slowing and starting with no waggling about. 

It is after all, a shunting loco. 

Rob

Well cost might not be an issue for you ,  but scroll back through the pages , and the dreaded C word comes up time and time again .

Agree the PWM wasn't their crowning glory but I bought one that has been fixed and I'm happy with it .

Also agree that shunting or indeed any loco should have smooth running characteristics. 

I would be suprised if MR haven't passed the largely negative feedback to Heljan on this as they will not want to be associated with a duff model , particularly at the price for which they are asking .

It's not good business for either them or Heljan .

However I'm happy to take the risk .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Graham

19 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

As far as I am aware some of the liveries have been amended since the initial announcement. 
As stated above KMRC are only the fulfilment service for Model Rail so are not party to any future plans. 

I am sure you are right Graham, I had plans to order one of the ex Western allocated 151xx which finished their career at Bescot / Ryecroft, and thought Heljan / Model Rail announced one with the wasp stripes.   Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any piccies online, but what about this image in Swindon works www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/51103502038

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

I am sure you are right Graham, I had plans to order one of the ex Western allocated 151xx which finished their career at Bescot / Ryecroft, and thought Heljan / Model Rail announced one with the wasp stripes.   Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any piccies online, but what about this image in Swindon works www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/51103502038

The original list is on page 1 of the topic. 

15105 was originally in the list. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Premium

I wanted one of these, remembering them from shed visits to Willesden and Stratford in my spotting heyday. But recent doubts about Heljan’s ability to listen - the 45, 10800, the PWM shunter - have made me wonder whether I should just wait for the inevitable Accurascale 08. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Downer said:

I wanted one of these, remembering them from shed visits to Willesden and Stratford in my spotting heyday. But recent doubts about Heljan’s ability to listen - the 45, 10800, the PWM shunter - have made me wonder whether I should just wait for the inevitable Accurascale 08. 

So what's wrong with 10800?

If you refer to the short length of missing beading - who pointed that out prior to delivery, that Heljan failed to listen to?

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

So what's wrong with 10800?

If you refer to the short length of missing beading - who pointed that out prior to delivery, that Heljan failed to listen to?

CJI.

They chose to ignore the fact - posted on here - that their green version should have had the early crest, not the late one.  Nothing wrong with the black livery versions as far as I know. 

• RMweb Gold

Ive got to admit the EPs of the PWM I saw, and what I received certainly did differ.

The PWM felt more like the Bachmann/Mainline class 03, than the Heljan class 05.

The class 11 EPs do look nice too.. but I am concerned what the quality and the operation will be like.

A running video would be nice.

• Agree 4

On 29/09/2023 at 18:10, Albie the plumber said:

I assume you meant to type £8.40 but were too busy to notice that in your quest to trot out a sarky remark ... 

Nope ..... wot i rote was wot I ment to rite - an' there' muffing rong wi' mi maffs 0.7p x 12 = 8.4p ! .................. I didn't get Maths A Level for nowt.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

I do have to say it was great to see and handle one of these over the Warley Show a few weeks back :)

And? Is it any good? I hope that it shouldn't be long now before we get to find out for ourselves.