Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold

Just booked my next Tesco's slot - 6th April BUT at least they haven't put the price up still only £2..

Its the profiteering relating to this bug that is really winding me up why has the cost of sparking water and Paracetamol gone through the roof!

We aren't consuming any more so once the supermarket shelves have decamped into our collective larders surely after a couple of weeks supply should get back to normal or is that too simplistic...……….

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

<snip>

Tins of tomatoes seem to be available, if one is prepared to but expensive organic ones, but very little flour for some reason. Are all the toilet roll hoarders now busy making cakes and pastries? 

My local Morrisons had (this morning) tins of tomatoes at 4 for £1

Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, halsey said:

We aren't consuming any more so once the supermarket shelves have decamped into our collective larders surely after a couple of weeks supply should get back to normal or is that too simplistic...……….

Common sense would suggest that would be the case. Unfortunately common sense seems to have gone AWOL at the moment. :(

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Although it'll doubtless be ignored it might have some effect if there was some official advice to not order online unless you need to isolate to free up that capacity for the people who do need it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Although it'll doubtless be ignored it might have some effect if there was some official advice to not order online unless you need to isolate to free up that capacity for the people who do need it.

But that rather contradicts advice to not visit shops unless essential and to not use public transport unnecessarily.  Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

For what it's worth this official statement has been released by Go Ahead, one of the UK's largest bus operators:-

"The current government advice is that people continue to use buses and other forms of public transport as they go about their lives as usual. The buses circulate air through regular intakes every time the bus stops and most have windows which can be opened at any time."

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

I just got Tesco's on 5th April - one item purchased, which saves the slot.  I can add more as required, or alternatively cancel the delivery if nothing is required...

So that opens up a new one - panic buying of home delivery slots...…………………...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

I just had to pop out for some milk to be greeted with mass hysteria. I have no need to self isolate but am going to so I can avoid the mindless idiots I have to share this planet with :(

Were you dressed as a storm trooper at the time?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

But that rather contradicts advice to not visit shops unless essential and to not use public transport unnecessarily.  Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

There's don't travel unless it's essential but getting food is essential. The only ones they've advised to stay away from the shops are people who are either ill or in the same household as someone who is. They're the ones who need deliveries so that's where the delivery capacity should be concentrated (along with people who aren't in that category but who are at high risk).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, bigP said:

Currently bidding at £10,100. It's out of my price range so think I will just send the seller the stuff it's designed to be used with in case she has any unsold rolls.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody please explain why the merry heck folk have been buying up vinegar to the extent that Tesco's shelves were virtually bare this morning.  I could, at a pinch almost  understand a charm made out of garlic and worn round the neck, but washing hands in, or drinking, effin vinegar?  The world's gone crazy

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The problem is that crazy begets crazy.  There has to be a break in the cycle somewhere.  Supply chains seem to be intact but a day or two behind the demand.  Maybe if pasta was sold out today the mob went for vinegar instead.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, steve W said:

Currently bidding at £10,100. It's out of my price range so think I will just send the seller the stuff it's designed to be used with in case she has any unsold rolls.

£65k and climbing rapidly.

• Funny 1

51 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Can anybody please explain why the merry heck folk have been buying up vinegar to the extent that Tesco's shelves were virtually bare this morning.  I could, at a pinch almost  understand a charm made out of garlic and worn round the neck, but washing hands in, or drinking, effin vinegar?  The world's gone crazy

There'll be some idiot who tries using balsamic vinegar; they'll end up with sticky fingers.

Regarding garlic;-A Chinese woman was hospitalised after eating about a kilo and a half. She had severe burns to her throat. I used to chew it (not in that quantity) in winter; I never caught a cold, but that might because I defined new limits for social distancing. 

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

£65k and climbing rapidly.

I thought e-bay had already stopped people doing these sorts of auctions - in America there is a name for it and it is illegal.

Anyway, I panic bought 4 tins of emulsion and some wood glue today.

If I am going to get stuck at home I might as well use the time constructively decorating and building baseboards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

https://www.wikihow.life/Use-Vinegar-for-Household-Cleaning

Say no more

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Boots store local to work had a sign in the window today:

"No Hand gel available, but we have a delivery at 11am Wednesday"

I may go.

Just to watch the madness...........

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

All these people buying pasta, rice and canned foods have got it wrong in my opinion. There is little to no nutritional value in any of those foods and (with the exception of canned foods) they need to be cooked to be palatable. They would be better off buying bags of nuts and seeds such as almonds and peanuts. Far more nutrition, they take longer to digest and give more energy and in an emergency if there is no gas or electricity and you don't have a camping stove, almonds burn for a long time so you could still cook your breakfast on them.

Is it not the nuts who are buying?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Cleaners have been using vinegar to - er - clean in my kitchen and bathroom for years. A very old-fashioned idea. But it seems to work. 

Edit - Also used weekly to clean the kettle - we have very hard water. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4