More model ideas

3 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

Unit wise 170 is long overdue an update to modern standards

Yes, although there is question marks as to whether Bachmann are working on that (or not).

But I agree, plenty of geographical coverage (between Northern and ScotRail alone, probably about 50% of the UK), especially if the 168, 171 and 172 can be covered.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Asking ourselves what are the low hanging items in RTR and assuming some at least of the mystery six will be one of them, brings us to locos not seen before or with unsuitable crude toolings that were built in large or largeish numbers, were fairly geographically spread, and lasted a good time in service, ideally into the BR period.  My long standing wishlist favourites, the GW 1854 and 2721 half-cab panniers come into this category, but there are plenty of others.  517s, Metros, 2021s, Aberdares, Austin 7s, LNW Ramsbottom 0-6-0s, SECR L, the LMS Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2 tanks, all sorts of Caley, LNW, North British, and North Eastern 4-4-0s, Great Central J11s, South Wales constituent 0-6-2Ts, probably loads of others I can't think of at the moment or have forgotten about.  New toolings are needed badly for the aforementioned 2721, Fowler 2-6-4Ts, Hawksworth Counties, King Arthurs, Loti and the shorty clerestories (good name for a band). 

Or perhaps AS will go off in another direction, with early locos.  Rocket and Lion are doing ok, so maybe Planet, Patentee, or some other very early prototype like a Stephenson long boiler, Crampton, or a Jenny Lind.  Or how about Puffing Billy/Wylam Dilly to haul the chauldrons...  Early period modelling has a lot going for it in that small locos and stock, with short trains, were normal and we are always looking for ways to save space! 

Just over six and a half hours to go and counting...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, steveb860 said:

I have just purchased a Bachmann class 40, so it will be a whistler 

I’m tempting fate like that as well. I’m working on a couple over the coming weeks, but I believe I’ll have finished them  well before any potential new models land! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Here's a "thinking outside the box" guess at tomorrow's announcement.

Some sort of track maintenance train/device, such as a high output ballast cleaner train or a rail grinder

I asked Fran at Ally Pally earlier this year if anything big, yellow and Network Rail is on the cards and he said 'no'.

My  monies on a steam loco or a unit, lots of big gaps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

In the interests of balance, how many non steam items do you have up your sleeve?

Right now another 9 non steam ‘ranges’ (new tool)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Asking ourselves what are the low hanging items in RTR and assuming some at least of the mystery six will be one of them, brings us to locos not seen before or with unsuitable crude toolings that were built in large or largeish numbers, were fairly geographically spread, and lasted a good time in service, ideally into the BR period.  My long standing wishlist favourites, the GW 1854 and 2721 half-cab panniers come into this category, but there are plenty of others.  517s, Metros, 2021s, Aberdares, Austin 7s, LNW Ramsbottom 0-6-0s, SECR L, the LMS Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2 tanks, all sorts of Caley, LNW, North British, and North Eastern 4-4-0s, Great Central J11s, South Wales constituent 0-6-2Ts, probably loads of others I can't think of at the moment or have forgotten about.  New toolings are needed badly for the aforementioned 2721, Fowler 2-6-4Ts, Hawksworth Counties, King Arthurs, Loti and the shorty clerestories (good name for a band). 

Or perhaps AS will go off in another direction, with early locos.  Rocket and Lion are doing ok, so maybe Planet, Patentee, or some other very early prototype like a Stephenson long boiler, Crampton, or a Jenny Lind.  Or how about Puffing Billy/Wylam Dilly to haul the chauldrons...  Early period modelling has a lot going for it in that small locos and stock, with short trains, were normal and we are always looking for ways to save space! 

Just over six and a half hours to go and counting...

I'm not sure the numbers game works quite how it used to. If someone offers a model of a rare loco, there's perhaps an incentive to "collect the set". Imagine trying that with Bulleid Light Pacifics!

In my own case, even without resorting to pre-1948 liveries, I have more Adams Radials than did BR. I wanted 30583 both before and after the ancient bits were transferred to it ahead of preservation, and Hornby obliged. I'd also get another 30584 if released in the early "BRITISH RAILWAYS" unlined black.

Taking issue with one you mention, though, my Hornby Arthurs are perfectly good "layout locos". I have enough to avoid having any appear with improbable frequency, and I'd no more replace them than I have my Bachmann 9Fs with new Hornby ones.

I'd far rather see a Urie S15, Urie/Maunsell H15, or even the N15x rebuilt Baltics. Mind you, a Brighton K mogul would be wholly irresistible despite not having any real excuse for one, in the same way the Manor has been!

None of the above were in my own 6-item wish-list/guess-list posted earlier which, given my confessed regional bias, goes some way to demonstrating how much more scope steam-outline offers for truly new models!

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling
punctuation
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can resist steam, maybe not when my Manor finally arrives, but non steam could be an issue for my bank balance. On present form I expect from AS an 08, 20, 47, 73, HST plus a surprise. (not a class 40)

If a suitable unit is announced, in particular Electrostar or Aventra, I'm stuffed as I'd need at least an 8 car unit. Hmm

I expect steam today though but with the 37 out maybe a 47 or HST?

So 6 steam, 9 non steam and we will be due a rake of coaches once the 2Bs arrive! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

My six, mainly Southern.

U, 2-6-0

W, 2-6-4T

G6, 0-6-0T

H16, 4-6-2T

MR/LMS 2P, 4-4-0

S&DJR 7F, 2-8-0 (1925 large-boiler version) 

Yet another demonstration of how many types are available to choose from. Only one of those is one of the six I was thinking about and it isn’t the same one as was on 50025’s list. Now to tune in.

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Uh oh serious financial damage could be looming….. 😀

Would it be as bad as if you had to buy a couple of Bachmann offerings though - that would surely spell financial armageddon......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2023 at 16:14, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Legend,

Can confirm that it aint us, but will also confirm we very much wanted to do it until we learned that another party had begun working on it, so we gave way. Pity, as I used to travel to work on them (313s) I had a real soft spot for them, but you can't win them all.

Mind you, that was pre-COVID and we still havent seen them announced yet.

Cheers!

Fran 

Disappointed Fran as I’d hoped it was you . Better chance  of good quality model at reasonable price . But thanks for confirming 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I only found out about this just now.

I have just made the decision to purchase and build another steam loco kit.

My friends in the local area group know what I have in mind and what I predicted about Accurascale...

I appeal to the Accurascale Ministry for External Intelligence to let me know where their hidden cameras are in Kernow Towers, so that I can at least smile at them as I go past...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3