KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

18 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I trust that the wheels shown in the second image are not representative of what will be supplied by KR as the left hand wheel will run very eccentrically given that the axle hole opening looks decidedly offf centre.

Knowing the source of the image, yes that is what is being supplied... as they are in production currently so unfortunately despite being told, and before anyone else says it... and I was thinking it early why didn't I see it on the CADs well they were just pink discs on the CAD no detail on them at that stage. 
After seeing the image and then a newsletter popping in my emails... according to their newsletter regarding the WD if you can't see it, it doesn't matter... problem is I brought it up in March, as I could see it, and before with EP1. 
Its almost as bad as getting the wrong number of spokes on a wheel... lol 
It's just basics... but I am not at all surprised... we all tried to help and assist... we got ignored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, maico said:

This chap seems deep in thought pondering how the wheels turn...

gettyimages-102728914-2048x2048.jpg

Pictured at Guildford shed by John Click 21/08/1950  

Edited by Graham_Muz
Date corrected
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, maico said:

This chap seems deep in thought pondering how the wheels turn...

gettyimages-102728914-2048x2048.jpg

" I wonder if anyone will ever make a model of this? And if they do, will they get the wheels right?"

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JZ said:

" I wonder if anyone will ever make a model of this? And if they do, will they get the wheels right?"

Interesting the coal space is covered by acanvas sheet.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 6

15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe it helped to ensure the pile of coal was within gauge?   I wonder if it always ran with the coal space sheeted (which would seem logical)?

From what I can see from contemporary photos, there was little restraint for loose coal falling off the top of the engine, so maybe it was an attempt to simply retain the coal in the chute whilst on the road?

Or alternatively, a problem that wouldn’t exist on most locos would be rainwater pouring down the coal chute to the inside of the loco without a tender gap to drain it, so maybe the tarp was to shed the water over the side. 

just a thought. Got no evidence from anything approaching a primary source that either of those things was true :) 

Edited by Edge
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought, give complaints of heat, having this open may have been preferable ?.. similarly in an accident could this have been a second way out for the fireman ?

Its noted the date was 29/9/50… it was withdrawn in November 1950, so this was near the end, had it been stored a while at Guildford / a pre-withdrawal move ?

25 minutes ago, Edge said:

From what I can see from contemporary photos, there was little restraint for loose coal falling off the top of the engine, so maybe it was an attempt to simply retain the coal in the chute whilst on the road?

Yes, some of the photos I've seen give the impression there  was a risk to passengers waiting on platforms from the loco chucking lumps of coal at the back of their heads.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I would have thought, give complaints of heat, having this open may have been preferable ?.. similarly in an accident could this have been a second way out for the fireman ?

Its noted the date was 29/9/50… it was withdrawn in November 1950, so this was near the end, had it been stored a while at Guildford / a pre-withdrawal move ?

I have corrected the date to be 21/08/1950 (I should have checked my notes rather than off the top of my head),  This was first of three test runs in August and five more in September of that year running Eastleigh - Woking - Guildford and return with loads starting at 231 tons and culminating in one run at 430 tons. 

The last intended run was 02/11/1950 to also be to Guildford and return but was terminated at Basingstoke and the loco returned to Eastleigh light engine.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

It’s interesting reading everyone’s comments about the inaccurate wheels, but so far sadly there are other issues too.  Having recently completed a Leader in N Gauge (video/image below; now on Shapeways) I heavily researched the engine including accessing her original plans.  Wheels and raised riveting (instead of flush) might be arguably minor, but potentially more noticeable is the absence of ten washout plugs on the roof.  Furthermore, the safety valves were in a single cut-out rather than two holes (as per the unique rooftop photo in K Robertson Bulleid Man Myth and Machine p86) and the sliding panels either side of the smokebox were actually different sizes.  Hopefully these will at least have the sliding doors fitted in the final model.  Several panel seams are also missing which seems unusual as others are present.  Then the funnel opening so far does not seem to fully correlate, and I hope the cycling lion on silver is not meant to be the works grey version! 

As photos to date are of pre-production tests I’m sure there’s much already in the works (fireman’s window bars and cab interiors for example) but it will be interesting to see the final model – I have two on order.  I also messaged KR with these points a while back, though am still awaiting a response. 

As an aside, the key published modeller’s drawings of Leader are themselves incorrect not only regarding some of the above but even having the fish belly sides in the wrong place! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_J9aUqRmkA

LeaderNewmanMiniatures.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Rudititanic said:

It’s interesting reading everyone’s comments about the inaccurate wheels, but so far sadly there are other issues too.  Having recently completed a Leader in N Gauge (video/image below; now on Shapeways) I heavily researched the engine including accessing her original plans.  Wheels and raised riveting (instead of flush) might be arguably minor, but potentially more noticeable is the absence of ten washout plugs on the roof.  Furthermore, the safety valves were in a single cut-out rather than two holes (as per the unique rooftop photo in K Robertson Bulleid Man Myth and Machine p86) and the sliding panels either side of the smokebox were actually different sizes.  Hopefully these will at least have the sliding doors fitted in the final model.  Several panel seams are also missing which seems unusual as others are present.  Then the funnel opening so far does not seem to fully correlate, and I hope the cycling lion on silver is not meant to be the works grey version! 

As photos to date are of pre-production tests I’m sure there’s much already in the works (fireman’s window bars and cab interiors for example) but it will be interesting to see the final model – I have two on order.  I also messaged KR with these points a while back, though am still awaiting a response. 

As an aside, the key published modeller’s drawings of Leader are themselves incorrect not only regarding some of the above but even having the fish belly sides in the wrong place! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_J9aUqRmkA

LeaderNewmanMiniatures.jpg

Unfortunately they are already in production so there won't be any changes... the wheels seen on the other page are for the production models going to customers.
As stated above many tried to help, especially those better connected with research.. they didn't listen.
So what we get is what we get...

I have even started designing various parts that I can modify the model with, even possibly going as far as a whole new body shell.

• Like 2

On 15/12/2023 at 10:24, Graham_Muz said:

For the uninitiated and those perhaps not doing adequate research this is what the Bulleid-Firth-Brown wheels on Bullied's leader actually looked like... (Picture taken and provided to me by the late John Click)

IMG_7444.PNG.dccf547ef53a19ccdc4ee3d70d106c82.PNG

Not as apparently will be fitted to the model...

wheel.jpg.1982f5326ebbd1ddf1b316fd0113e70f.jpg

Note: I like many have one on order and paid for, it's just a shame adequate research or freely offered assistance has not been taken up.

Strange the EFE CC1 Boosters don't look much like BFB wheels either. DSCF37182.JPG.312ad2a46eb8b4075e2038401cd98854.JPG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Unfortunately they are already in production so there won't be any changes... the wheels seen on the other page are for the production models going to customers.
As stated above many tried to help, especially those better connected with research.. they didn't listen.

I have even started designing various parts that I can modify the model with, even possibly going as far as a whole new body shell.

Such a pity, though historians often get overlooked...

I'd be happy to help if you do go down the bodyshell route; I had started sorting mine for 00 too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bigherb said:

Strange the EFE CC1 Boosters don't look much like BFB wheels either. DSCF37182.JPG.312ad2a46eb8b4075e2038401cd98854.JPG

They are Bulleid-Firth-Brown wheels but of the smaller 3'7" design that was different to the 5'1" driving wheel version as fitted to the Leader. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Is it just me, or does it sound mad that people are discussing all the ways they intend to improve their rtr model, even gojng so far as a whole new body?😳  This is surreal in the extreme. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MichaelM said:

Is it just me, or does it sound mad that people are discussing all the ways they intend to improve their rtr model, even gojng so far as a whole new body?😳  This is surreal in the extreme. 

Ah, a 'rebuilt' Leader.....model follows earlier history!  Outside valvegear and no tin can exterior version? 🤣

OK I'll get me hat.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MichaelM said:

That sort pf modelling takes me nacjk a few decades to wheb we used to rake r-t-r bodies and use a saw to cut sections out of them to reduce them to the correct length or we cut bits off in order to replace them with castings or turnings that looked more like the real thing.  I don't doubt that if 3-D printers had existed back then they would have been used in the way beinfg described in that post.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I remember my Dad taking a razor saw to a Lima Deltic in order to get it to it's correct length, even getting the more correct sized bogies from the 37 to go under it. Within months Bachmann announced their model and it seemed a waste of time!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

I remember my Dad taking a razor saw to a Lima Deltic in order to get it to it's correct length, even getting the more correct sized bogies from the 37 to go under it. Within months Bachmann announced their model and it seemed a waste of time!

I was doing the same with Lima 50’s.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Back in the 1990s that’s what modelling was about for me.

cutting cabs & noses off Lima 37s to switch them between RSH and Vulcan bodies.

cutting out grilles on Lima 60s to insert interior details.

cutting off lima 156 under frames to add separate part detail

creating most DMUs from craftsman brass overlays of Lima 117s

great fun unless of feint heart 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2